Lets create the perfect base for mma

Nickynoneck

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I am just using this as a seqway from another thread that was posted about the best base for mma .

ok here's mine

Starting wrestling at the age of 5 until 16 they start bjj/judo and at 23 start muay thai

IMHO I think this would be perfect to way to lay out the best mma athlete

I am just using this as a seqway from another thread that was posted about the best base for mma .

ok here's mine

Starting wrestling at the age of 5 until 16 they start bjj/judo and at 23 start muay thai

IMHO I think this would be perfect to way to lay out the best mma athlete

How about someone that just starts training MMA from age 5. Maybe joins the wrestling team as well, does some amateur boxing as a teenager, but has MMA as the base right from day 1.

Wrestling at 6-7.

Boxing at 13-14.

BJJ at 16-17.

MMA amateur matches at 19-20.

How about someone that just starts training MMA from age 5. Maybe joins the wrestling team as well, does some amateur boxing as a teenager, but has MMA as the base right from day 1.

I don't think future MMA champs will be like that

to become really really awesome you need to focus specifically on one art

We fans should enjoy a wide range of styles anyway so

most of the combat arts are great bases for kids/teens, just need to switch earlier.

the wrestling guys should maybe do it abit earlier, you are what 22-23 when you get out of college? maybe start up some boxing/bjj on the side

BJJ has crosstraining ingrained earlier, maybe it is starting to change with judo aswell,

We haven't seen Ishii come into his own yet, young and worldclass judo

just look at what waves Karo and Sokodjou did switching over early and they have nowhere near the judo Ishii got

Judo is picking that up aswell

Wrestling age 6-adulthood
Kyokushin Karate 5-18

Adult hood learns boxing and judo

I know so many wrestlers who quit when they reached middle or high school. Many Thai fighters start young too, then retire at 25 since they are too beat up. Even Gracies get burned out too.

On the other hand, I know awesome wrestlers who started in high school or even later! I know BJJ guys who start young, start old, or started in the middle. I know Thai guys who started late, and those who were indoctrinated since they were young.

There is no perfect path in martial arts. Everyone has to find their own way.

Can't learn Mixed Martial Arts when you haven't even learned one Martial Art yet IMO.

I agree that learning and "mastering" or attaining a high level of proficiency in one "art" starting from a young age (probably wrestling) is the best way to go for the purposes of MMA. It seems that the transition from wrestling to other grappling arts (judo, bjj) is a lot smoother, and it gives you beast cardio and strength.

So I'd say, start wrestling young, pick up Muay Thai/Boxing somewhere along the way, and then transition to learning another grappling art (probably BJJ).

I agree.
Great football players play football when they're 5 years old.
Great baseball players play baseball when they're 5 years old.
Great guitar players play guitar when they're 5 years old.
Great painters paint when they're 5 years old.

If you wanna get better at something, do that thing.

My base is

Muay Thai at 7, still doing it.
BJJ at 22, still doing it.
Wrestling... I'll cross that bridge when it comes to it :rolleyes: LOL.

I say start the opposite of the 1st few posts. BJJ early, it is easy on the body and gets the kid used to rolling. By JR HS he can begin to work in wrestling and compete all 4 years of HS.

In case you are wondering Josh Desilvera (look him up) took up wrestling in HS (I think) and he is the 10th ranked senior in the US now. He is Conan's son and iirc did not do wrestling till he was a freshman.

Anyway wrestler through HS and add the striking at the end of the senior year, work on that for 2 years and BOOM ready to start low level shows at the tender age of 20 where he can go to a good camp. If he becomes AWESOME at wrestling, then he goes on to college and gets even better. Yet he still has the BJJ base and striking during the wrestling off season. Then at 22-24 gets into a MMA camp to work more on his striking and submissions again.

Josh DaSilveira symbolized everything that is Florida wrestling at last week’s National High School Coaches Association tournaments in Virginia Beach, Va.

Unknown and overlooked, the Barron Collier junior breezed through the competition en route to the Junior Nationals 189-pound title. Taken down just once, DaSilveira won his five matches by a combined 32-18 score.

While Florida produces more elite caliber wrestlers each year the state lacks the history of Iowa, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania and so many other states. The result is somewhat of a cold shoulder for Florida newbies on the national stage.

But as DaSilveira can attest, talent trumps history and prestige.

“You have to be humble in this sport,” DaSilveira said. “You never know what’s going to happen; I wasn’t even seeded at this thing. … No matter what there’s always somebody who wants to beat you who is training hard.”

The Cougars standout opened the Junior Nationals with a 6-4 decision Wednesday against Mike Mirra, the No. 3 seed from Pennsylvania. DaSilveira followed up with a 5-2 decision against Utah’s Derek Thomas, a 7-1 decision against New Jersey’s Tyler Lyster and a 6-5 decision against Colorado’s Clint Myers to reach the finals.

“The state champ from Colorado, he was the first kid to take me down the whole tournament,” said DaSilveira, whose dominance continued in the championship.

Facing Phil Sprenkle, the No. 1 seed from Pennsylvania, DaSilveira scored an 8-6 decision. Sprenkle’s points came courtesy of three escapes, a reversal and a late stalling. It was the escape in the final 30 seconds of the second period, however, that almost turned the match.

“He hurt his ankle real bad in that last match … I think he’s going to be laid up for the next three or four weeks,” Barron coach Jeff Mustari said. “He got rolled and it popped; I mean it sounded like a tree branch. Fortunately he was able to suck it up and hold on in the third period.”

DaSilveira became just the second national champion from Collier County. Lely High’s Obenson Blanc won a Senior Nationals title in 2003.

“The most interesting thing about it all is Jeff Mustari,” Lely assistant coach Thom Popoli said. “There have been two national champions from Collier County … and both were coached by Jeff Mustari. To me, that says what an outstanding coach Jeff is.”

Barron’s Austin Vajen and D.J. Macyke also competed in the Junior Nationals, but the duo was a combined 0-4. Oviedo junior Jay Taylor, who edged DaSilveira 5-4 in the Class 2A state finals, placed second at 215 pounds.

Five Collier County wrestlers fared slightly better at the Senior Nationals. Barron 140 Richie Blasucci, Golden Gate heavyweight Raul Gonzalez, Lely 125 Wismit Moinius and Palmetto Ridge’s 119, Blaine Ison, and 130, Cody Singletary, each finished 2-2.

“Where does that put you, top 20? I’ll take it,” Popoli said. “I mean to be considered in the top 20 in the entire country is pretty good.

“In an era of Title IX where wrestling is disappearing from the landscape across the country, we’re doing our best to build it up in Collier County.”

The next national competition for Collier’s elite wrestlers likely will be June’s Disney Duals in Orlando. After that, some may travel to Fargo, N.D., for the Freestyle National Championships.

While DaSilveira plans to travel to Fargo he’s never competed in freestyle, which is more about position and strategy than the folkstyle of high school wrestling.

“We’ll make that transition to freestyle in about a month once the ankle feels better,” Mustari said. “We’ll see how he does, feel it out and then decide if we’ll send him out there.”

If the decision were up to DaSilveira, the tickets to Fargo would already be in hand. He referred to the Junior Nationals as the “first step of a journey.”

“Wherever it takes me I’ll do it,” DaSilveira said. “If it takes me to the Olympics, I’ll do it. If it takes me to NCAAs, I’ll do it. … I do this because I love it.

Wrestling and BJJ from middle school through high school--do BJJ in the wrestling offseason.

Start mixing in Muay Thai classes with the BJJ after high school when wrestling is over

I know so many wrestlers who quit when they reached middle or high school. Many Thai fighters start young too, then retire at 25 since they are too beat up. Even Gracies get burned out too.

On the other hand, I know awesome wrestlers who started in high school or even later! I know BJJ guys who start young, start old, or started in the middle. I know Thai guys who started late, and those who were indoctrinated since they were young.

There is no perfect path in martial arts. Everyone has to find their own way.

Yeah but you gotta say that with the physical punishment involved in wrestling and judo for the best outcome possible you gotta do it when you are a kid. a kid can just be thrown more then an adult, and judo/wrestling is "simpler" in a way,

BJJ is more technical and less dependent on physical attributes and reactions, and BJJ have several dudes at the absolute top that started relatively late, sure talentpool is also smaller but I think that the nature of the art plays a major factor

Perfect Base for MMA would be ideally a MMA school!

I like the Shooto school systems in Japan.

gymnastics at age 4,judo from age 6.at age 12 start adding in cross training in bjj and from17 amature boxing.
age 20 mma.continuing with specific training in either boxing or bjj.

Back