let's breakdown a current popular song

You mean the guy proud of what he did? So much so that he got a tatt to memorialize his genius?
Chris-Brown-Tattoo.jpg

:eek: I feel like this is a pop culture detail that even I should have known about.

The dude has a friggin tatoo of the the woman he battered

-except wait -it's not a picture of her beautiful face....

it's a cartoonish depiction of her AFTER his aggro session bludgening her face into the pavement.

Thread reminded me of this image.
I don't know how accurate it is but I think its the idea behind it.

beyonce-freddie-mercury-mem_jpg_630x640_q85.jpg

SIX WRITERS?!?! theres only like six WORDS in that whole song! lol~

SIX WRITERS?!?! theres only like six WORDS in that whole song! lol~

Thats kinda why I question it. I know these pop stars of today are created, helped, wrote for, and such. But no way does it take 6 people to write that. I think the real message is the guy who is singing it is part of the band who wrote it. And it is just so much better than that stupid shit.

dont worry, ill make this song way better

Thats kinda why I question it. I know these pop stars of today are created, helped, wrote for, and such. But no way does it take 6 people to write that. I think the real message is the guy who is singing it is part of the band who wrote it. And it is just so much better than that stupid shit.

I used to engineer alot of hip hop and R&B records back in the 90s

Here's how this works for R&B, Hip Hop, and some Pop

Producer/Writer or several combinations therof record principle vocal tracks with an artist with basic audio tracks, samples and maybe a hook etc -during this process many writers may contribute to even the slightest nuance up to a hook or transition or phrasing or new vox -usually the writers, associate producers, and engineers are cut in on fractions of points to be paid based on later sales (especially on smaller and Independent labels) -So often many minor people are working for free up front (i did that a lot in hopes of a larger point share and get lucky on a big seller)

I have a friend who basically moved mics and made coffee as an intern at Criteria Studios in Miami in the 1970s and was gifted fractions of a point on what would later be one of the best selling albums of all time -he's been getting a 5 figure check every year for 30 something years for essentially rolling joints, ordering pizza, and moving mic stands as a teenager -but that is a very non typical story

Anyways -Then those tracks are mailed (well in the 90s they were) -now I FTP them or use Sugar Sync or Media fire and transfer the music tracks and vox tracks to several hip hop and R&B producers around the world. -whoever they choose to work with.

Then those producers develop their own mixes and additions of that song and deliver it back in several complete alternates or perhaps just some sweet hook they think will seal the deal. From their the executive or main original producer selects which versions and creative contributions make the cut as the single or album cut or often enough edit many of the other versions together -or revisit the session again entirely with all of the new ideas and start over with a new swell of creativity

Point is you could hear a really basic pop song and dozens of people could have had their hands on it and get a writing, musician, or production credit.

In fact -the more people who touch it likely means the simpler and shittier it will be because the original vision has been co-opted into something generic. If the original Artist and Producer were talented and creative enough to generate songs enough to keep their artists' working -they wouldn't give up share -but the music industry is a business that has to churn out a tremendous amount of music which is easier to do as a collaboration and often has a much higher chance of being popular with the lowest common denominator type music fan who really wants a beat, a hook, and something to hum along to.

Sorry TMI -I know.

not that i sit around and listen to chris brown but you can't go out in public without hearing this fucking song (and a handful of others that sound the exact same) and it absolutely drives me crazy that "musicians" are making millions off computerized beats and vocals and repetitive lyrics that mean absolutely nothing. any asshole with a computer and a few "producers" can make a "song".

You have to realize the majority of the people who listen to him are teenage girls. So of course a grown man like you wouldn't understand this song.

From my experience, I know only girls listen to Chris Brown. And it's suppose to be a dance/party song. Also people don't really listen to the non-choral lyrics when they listen to this song. They just follow the beat and chorus, which gives them a uplifting feeling. It's really whats popular out there because in a club/party a lot of girls love that high tempo, party beat. Dont compare it to what it isnt suppose to be.

Last edited:
I used to engineer alot of hip hop and R&B records back in the 90s

Here's how this works for R&B, Hip Hop, and some Pop

Producer/Writer or several combinations therof record principle vocal tracks with an artist with basic audio tracks, samples and maybe a hook etc -during this process many writers may contribute to even the slightest nuance up to a hook or transition or phrasing or new vox -usually the writers, associate producers, and engineers are cut in on fractions of points to be paid based on later sales (especially on smaller and Independent labels) -So often many minor people are working for free up front (i did that a lot in hopes of a larger point share and get lucky on a big seller)

I have a friend who basically moved mics and made coffee as an intern at Criteria Studios in Miami in the 1970s and was gifted fractions of a point on what would later be one of the best selling albums of all time -he's been getting a 5 figure check every year for 30 something years for essentially rolling joints, ordering pizza, and moving mic stands as a teenager -but that is a very non typical story

Anyways -Then those tracks are mailed (well in the 90s they were) -now I FTP them or use Sugar Sync or Media fire and transfer the music tracks and vox tracks to several hip hop and R&B producers around the world. -whoever they choose to work with.

Then those producers develop their own mixes and additions of that song and deliver it back in several complete alternates or perhaps just some sweet hook they think will seal the deal. From their the executive or main original producer selects which versions and creative contributions make the cut as the single or album cut or often enough edit many of the other versions together -or revisit the session again entirely with all of the new ideas and start over with a new swell of creativity

Point is you could hear a really basic pop song and dozens of people could have had their hands on it and get a writing, musician, or production credit.

In fact -the more people who touch it likely means the simpler and shittier it will be because the original vision has been co-opted into something generic. If the original Artist and Producer were talented and creative enough to generate songs enough to keep their artists' working -they wouldn't give up share -but the music industry is a business that has to churn out a tremendous amount of music which is easier to do as a collaboration and often has a much higher chance of being popular with the lowest common denominator type music fan who really wants a beat, a hook, and something to hum along to.

Sorry TMI -I know.

Wow...that was interesting.
So that could be absolutely right about having 6 writers, hell it could be more if things work like that.

Any chance of knowing what big hit album your buddy rolled J's for? You have any hits you worked on?

You mean the guy proud of what he did? So much so that he got a tatt to memorialize his genius?
Chris-Brown-Tattoo.jpg

WOW, the ego on this dude is unbelievable. That is fucking ridiculous.

I remember my buddy sent me a link to the police report after he beat Rihanna, dude is a legit psychotic.

*as an aside, I am happy to say that I've never heard the song, perhaps peripherally, but it rings absolutely zero bells, does this mean I've successfully unplugged from the pop culture matrix? That is win.

Can someone explain to me why everything I click is taking me to someone's twitter saying there is a forum bug and he can fix it?

Kind of thought that song was a joke when I first heard it.

Autotune is awful and this is it at it's worse.

Wow...that was interesting.
So that could be absolutely right about having 6 writers, hell it could be more if things work like that.

Any chance of knowing what big hit album your buddy rolled J's for? You have any hits you worked on?

Fleetwood Mac's Rumors or the Eagles is the one he gets points on -It's been 20 years since I've seen Jeff so I can't remember which one they graciously cut him in on

Yep -mostly on stuff when I was interning doing alot of assisting (which is code for making coffee, moving mics, going to get cigarettes and drugs, and tracking late night sessions when the engineer and producers went to the strip club. -Everything from studio wedge mixes for Rage against the Machine (we hardly used headphones and instead built complicated live wedge mixes and no isolation to get a livelier feel to tape on the records) to a Tupac song for film in 1994 (I even still have the track sheets and his handwritten rhymes on the backs of the track sheets. Should sell them one day

-Once I got the chops -I started recording and producing the kind of music that I prefer -which doesn't ofter make it to radio or make any real money -but I wasn't ever in this to make money.

Starships- Nicki Minaj

Let's go to the beach, each
Let's go get away
They say, what they gonna say?
Have a drink, clink, found the bud light
Bad b-tches like me, is hard to come by
The patron on, let's go get it on
The zone on, yes, I'm in the zone
Is it two, three? Leave a good tip
I'mma blow off my money and don't give two sh-ts

I'm on the floor, floor
I love to dance
So give me more more, till I can't stand
Get on the floor, floor
Like it's your last chance
If you want more, more
Then here I am

Starships were meant to fly
Hands up, and touch the sky
Can't stop, 'cause we're so high
Let's do this one more time

Let's do this one last time
Can't stop..

(We're higher than a motherf-ck-r)

Jump in my hoopty hoopty hoop
I own that
And I ain't paying my rent this month
I owe that
But f-ck who you want, and f-ck who you like
Dance our life, there's no end in sight
Twinkle, twinkle, little star

Now everybody let me hear you say ray ray ray
Now spend all your money 'cause they pay pay pay
And if you're a G, you a G,G,G!
My name is Onika, you can call me Nicki

Get on the floor, floor
Like it's your last chance
If you want more, more
Then here I am

Can't stop..

Can't stop..

I think this is just awful

Fleetwood Mac's Rumors or the Eagles is the one he gets points on -It's been 20 years since I've seen Jeff so I can't remember which one they graciously cut him in on

Yep -mostly on stuff when I was interning doing alot of assisting (which is code for making coffee, moving mics, going to get cigarettes and drugs, and tracking late night sessions when the engineer and producers went to the strip club. -Everything from studio wedge mixes for Rage against the Machine (we hardly used headphones and instead built complicated live wedge mixes and no isolation to get a livelier feel to tape on the records) to a Tupac song for film in 1994 (I even still have the track sheets and his handwritten rhymes on the backs of the track sheets. Should sell them one day

-Once I got the chops -I started recording and producing the kind of music that I prefer -which doesn't ofter make it to radio or make any real money -but I wasn't ever in this to make money.

I wonder what those sheets with Tupac notes on them would go for.

That is a really cool story though. I like that you're more into making the music you like then making what you think will make you rich. What kind of music are you into?

I wonder what those sheets with Tupac notes on them would go for.

That is a really cool story though. I like that you're more into making the music you like then making what you think will make you rich. What kind of music are you into?
everthing from Sonny Rollins to Captain Beefheart to Brian Eno to Ween to Floor to Fugazi to Leo Kotke to the Carpenters:icon_lol:

My favorite line that Tupac has in the song it "gotta thank the lord for the weed ad the nicotine" It also has ryhmes crossed out that he elected not to use in the track.

They stayed in session file for a few years until he died -then I took them and put them in my safe lulz.

Oh yeah, Ive been offered a few thousand for them but I turned it down.

I'm really starting to believe that there's a possibility that I might have a future in the music business.

Suck 'em titties!
Suck 'em titties!
Suck 'em titties!
Suck 'em titties!
Suck 'em titties!

Suck 'em muthafuking titties!

Suck 'em titties!
Suck 'em titties!
Suck 'em titties!
Suck 'em titties!
Suck 'em titties!

Lamborghini Gallardo

Suck 'em titties!
Suck 'em titties!
Suck 'em titties!
Suck 'em titties!
Suck 'em titties!

I haz moneyz, muthafuking n****s!

Suck 'em titties!
Suck 'em titties!
Suck 'em titties!
Suck 'em titties!
Suck 'em titties!

U Broke Ass N****s!

Can I have millions now? Please?
I thought this was a real song at first

Ha, I mentioned this thread to my other half last night and knew that the TS would ignore my post. Just seems to happen.

*as an aside, I am happy to say that I've never heard the song, perhaps peripherally, but it rings absolutely zero bells, does this mean I've successfully unplugged from the pop culture matrix? That is win.

It may have more to do with you not being in a particular demographic than your seemingly astute mentality.

everthing from Sonny Rollins to Captain Beefheart to Brian Eno to Ween to Floor to Fugazi to Leo Kotke to the Carpenters:icon_lol:

Good man, Samurai, repping Beefheart. The surviving members of The Magic Band played a local gig a few months back but I missed it. Also missed Toots and The Maytals, wasn't a good couple of weeks for me.

Eno is boss as hell too. Just put Taking Tiger Mountain (By Strategy) on the mp3, Fat Lady Of Limbourgh ftw.

Anyway, some of the responses in this thread made me think of...

And anyone ragging on using just 4 chords in a song, remember what Steve Jones and countless others have said, "All you need is 3 chords and the fahcking troof".

Back