Let's be real here, Tyson Fury would comfortably beat Prime Muhammed Ali.

Similar size, but I think Ali had the slightly bigger frame.
Usyk? Superior in skills vs Ali. Yeah, I expect western fans explosion here after this.
Inferior in speed vs Ali from 60 ies therefore most likely was not capable to land on this Ali version properly. :p
Might he defeat Ali from 60 ies? NO. Ali from 70 ies vs 30 y.o Usyk: yes.

Euro fighters are mentally weak
To be mentally strong for you guy needs to have proper passport and nationality, I get it.

Fury vs Ali from 60 ies? Very hard task for Fury.
this Ali was amazingly fast on his feet even if compare with current LHW division.

Boxing is unlike other sports, as it's been declining in popularity since the 60's. Ali wouldn't even be a boxer today, he'd play football, basketball or baseball.

This is one of the reasons they europeans have taken over HW boxing... they're less likely to catch the eyes of NFL and NBA scouts--and popular sport in Europe don't favor really big men.
Nah. There are far bigger sports than boxing in other countries as well. Boxers have gotten worse, if anything. Being a great athlete doesnt mean youll be a great fighter either. It takes a mindset that cant be taught, you either have it or dont.

Fury's only shot would be to impose his size, maul, and grapple to drain him. Ali's superior legs would help him to stay away from the clinch to neutralize much of that as @Hagler said. Those rough tactics are only going to be as effective as the ref's lenience in allowing him to hang on Ali like a coat. Hypotheticals can't account for how it'll be officiated. IMO Ali outboxes him to a UD in a competitive fight (much of which would be down to Fury's size/length & use of rough tactics).

Usyk? Superior in skills vs Ali. Yeah, I expect western fans explosion here after this.
Inferior in speed vs Ali from 60 ies therefore most likely was not capable to land on this Ali version properly. :p
Might he defeat Ali from 60 ies? NO. Ali from 70 ies vs 30 y.o Usyk: yes.

To be mentally strong for you guy needs to have proper passport and nationality, I get it.

I don't see how he has superior skills. Usyk's most impressive qualities at CW and HW are, for me, his stamina and workrate. In his closest fight against Huck, it was mostly his size and stamina that carried him through, not his skills. He has good feet (which cover up other defensive deficiencies), but not on Ali's level. Not to say that Ali's physical gifts didn't cover up his own flaws, but I've seen little to suggest that Usyk's general skillset is superior to Ali's (he might have a better punch selection, but that's about all I see).

However, I believe modern fighters are always criminally underrated. I also believe legends are heavily romanticized and put on some type of untouchable pedestal.

Thats funny <Lmaoo> Sherdog is the exact opposite. You will find a size fetish all the time. No matter MMA or Boxing. Sure some knowledgable fans here but besides that its basically big guys from nowadays would win because you know MUSCLES. Wladimir when he was champ destroyed any 70s boxer by their account even after he got destroyed by Sanders and Brewster. If anything the old guard gets not only underrated but missjudged because most cant read a boxers strenght and weakness. Read up on it in several threads. AJ would murder all 70s boxers, Wilder would destroy most of them...etc its really funny.

Regarding Fury vs Ali its difficult because Fury has so few markee wins were he really showed his talent but also a lot of shit fights. Outboxing Wilder is not some great feat. A boxer without footwork , defense or a jab. Wilder is the worst and most protected long reigning "champ" in HW boxing history. Still Fury is extremely talented. Its all about if Fury can implement his jab while negating Alis. I dont think he could because of Alis footwork but I dont have a problem if someone thinks otherwise.

Thats funny <Lmaoo> Sherdog is the exact opposite. You will find a size fetish all the time. No matter MMA or Boxing. Sure some knowledgable fans here but besides that its basically big guys from nowadays would win because you know MUSCLES. Wladimir when he was champ destroyed any 70s boxer by their account even after he got destroyed by Sanders and Brewster. If anything the old guard gets not only underrated but missjudged because most cant read a boxers strenght and weakness. Read up on it in several threads. AJ would murder all 70s boxers, Wilder would destroy most of them...etc its really funny.

Regarding Fury vs Ali its difficult because Fury has so few markee wins were he really showed his talent but also a lot of shit fights. Outboxing Wilder is not some great feat. A boxer without footwork , defense or a jab. Wilder is the worst and most protected long reigning "champ" in HW boxing history. Still Fury is extremely talented. Its all about if Fury can implement his jab while negating Alis. I dont think he could because of Alis footwork but I dont have a problem if someone thinks otherwise.
Thats strange. I dont get that same vibe and I post in this boxing section daily... Don't recall your login either....hmmmm
I frequently see guys shitting on the current crop of top heavyweight talent with their obvious flaws. As if heavyweights from other eras didn't have the same flaws or flaws of their own.

What Wilder lacks in conventional skills and fundamentals he makes up for with arguably the greatest 1 shot power in boxing history. Capable of stopping anyone. Also, he has never been in a non entertaining or non shock factor fight. He is what he is. Hes different and still interesting. I think its hilarious how people dismiss it and its arguably the most notable thing associated with the sport. Hes also way more durable than people give him credit for.

article-0-00035BDD00000C1D-845_634x431.jpg

Here is Ali being dropped and being very very close to being stopped by a 180 lbs man. his team kind of cheated by giving him smelling salts (which was illegal) and cutting his gloves open in the corner, to give him more time to recover. So yeah everyone slips sometimes.

Our Henry, what a man!! Give Cassius a taste of he's "amer". People think if there wasn't that fiddling In the corner and Enri didn't have tissue like skin he could of gone on to beat Mr Clay.

The UK 3rd favourite person after David Attenborough and Del boy.

Unrealistic in my opinion. Ali was a transcendent fighter. Speed, power, great set of whiskers. Fury is long, fast, good chin, exceptional eyes and anticipation. But each are a product of their time and demonstrate their skill in correlation to their opponents. Everyone said Liston would destroy Ali, Foreman would destroy Ali- and he won both bouts by TKO and knockout. Everyone said Wilder would knockout Fury, and he won by TKO. I will say both are exceptional fighters with the former being considered the greatest ever. I will say Fury getting off the canvas in the first fight and actually hurting Wilder in the 12th demonstrated to me his greatness for all time. It takes a special fighter to get up and fight like he did. In the second fight he studied Wilder’s technique and exploited him and his propensity to slap. Teddy Atlas said it best when he stated “Wilder’s technique failed him...and his great equalizer was ineffective against Fury”. He relied too much on his power. Also, in the second fight, Fury had transformed his body and looked like a fighter. He won the in betweens-punching when Wilder opened himself up with wild arcing punches and failing to turn his hands over. Fury is a great champion indeed. But like Ali, he is a product of his time. Remember, there have been “David versus Goliath fights” all through history. A 179lb Jack Dempsey beat a 6’6 240lb Jess Willard half to death. So size is important but not dispositive of the outcome. It is too simplistic to declare one of the greatest champions of all time against another who may become one of the greatest. I’m a huge Fury fan. But I had Wilder in that second fight. I don’t know that we can take a snapshot in time and project that out over eternity. Remember, when Tyson was asked if he was unbeatable he said “no, there’s a young fighter right now who will one day end my career, we just haven’t seen him yet.”

I always think about the rule sets. How would guys like Willie Pep be able to employ their styles? He'd get penalized a lot for pushing guys to the ground and things like that, I think. Then you have guys like Gene Fullmer. Would he be able to utilize his mauling style, or would he get Cortez'd like Ricky Hatton in today's ruleset?

People give way way too much credit to Fury for his boxing skills, he is better than a lot of the heavies around now, but he still gets hit a LOT and hurt, i dont know why people seem to think that him doing a random jig in the corner of the ring against a crap European heavyweight means he has great boxing skills, the best thing Fury does is to tie people up and use his immense size, leaning and hitting

It just shows how bad the current state of HW, that someone who has decent boxing skills is suddenly an Ali beater. Its comical. I think Fury is little more than a joke tbh. Sure he can box but he's sloppy and uncoordinated and barely beaten anyone of note other than an past prime Wlad (horrible fight) and a basketballer with a right hand. I think he would struggle in the 80s era against a host of big guys who could also box.

What Wilder lacks in conventional skills and fundamentals he makes up for with arguably the greatest 1 shot power in boxing history. Capable of stopping anyone.

I laugh every time I read something like this. Wilder was a can crusher and nothing more.

Last edited:
It wouldn't be pretty. Fury would have problems with Ali's speed, Ali would have problems with Fury's reach and size. Fury vs Cunningham wasn't a pretty fight either, and I doubt Fury would just be able to maul Ali like he did against the cruiserweight. Ali was surprisingly strong in the clinches, even against roided-up guys like Lyle Alzado, or just naturally strong SOBs like Ron Lyle and George Foreman. He was arguably one of the strongest guys in his era.

I always think about the rule sets. How would guys like Willie Pep be able to employ their styles? He'd get penalized a lot for pushing guys to the ground and things like that, I think. Then you have guys like Gene Fullmer. Would he be able to utilize his mauling style, or would he get Cortez'd like Ricky Hatton in today's ruleset?

Even in his own time, fighters like Fullmer were border-line cases. A prominent referee was once asked why he didn't penalize Fullmer for headbutts, elbows and low blows, and he answered something akin to, well, you might as well not let him fight then because that was most of his offense.

As for Pep, he would have done fine, he only did that stuff because he was fighting rough & tough guys like Sandy Saddler for whom holding & hitting was half of their offense.

Even in the modern times, Hopkins & Mayweather have gotten away with fouls. Mayweather with his elbows and Hopkins, well, with pretty much everything.

You know nothing about boxing.
Tiiiiiiiiiiiiimmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmber! Down goes Fury!

Fury has beaten an old man and a guy who can’t box, and you want to put him in with a guy who beat 18 of the top 100 heavyweights of all time by himself?

Fury has about as much chance of outboxing Ali as he does winning the triple crown.

And as for Tyson, according to Tyson Fury himself - and he reassured the reporter he was 100% serious - Fury said he would have been knocked out by Iron Mike Tyson in the first round.

Now go drink more alcoholic bum aaaaaahahahahahaaaaaaa

Tiiiiiiiiiiiiimmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmber! Down goes Fury!

Fury has beaten an old man and a guy who can’t box, and you want to put him in with a guy who beat 18 of the top 100 heavyweights of all time by himself?

Fury has about as much chance of outboxing Ali as he does winning the triple crown.

And as for Tyson, according to Tyson Fury himself - and he reassured the reporter he was 100% serious - Fury said he would have been knocked out by Iron Mike Tyson in the first round.

Now go drink more alcoholic bum aaaaaahahahahahaaaaaaa
BGB%2BMuhammad%2BAli%2BVS%2BHenry%2BCooper%2BKD%2BGIF.gif

I don't see how he has superior skills.
He does have, I'm sure.

. In his closest fight against Huck,
Closest fight Usyk had in pros was vs Briedis.
And I don't think that he might gave so close fight vs Usyk under amateur rules. I think NO.

. He has good feet (which cover up other defensive deficiencies), but not on Ali's level.
Ali 60 ies: yeah, Ali : this like real etalon there. 215 lber ( Ali was 215 lbs when had fight with 220 lbs Liston ).
Not to say that Ali's physical gifts didn't cover up his own flaws,
He was damn talented and also physically gifted King for 60 ies decade. amateurs or pro.

but I've seen little to suggest that Usyk's general skillset is superior to Ali's (he might have a better punch selection, but that's about all I see).
Clinch skills = Ali = superior and this is next level. Another stuff, yeah, Usyk.

Last edited:
You're delusional.
Delusional are a lot of posters here.
While you do have deep hate to non US fighters, I at least agree that prime Usyk most likely was not capable to defeat Ali from 60 ies.

This forum is War Rooom II :D. Maybe even worse.

I think considerably worse.

Back