Let's be real here, Tyson Fury would comfortably beat Prime Muhammed Ali.

oof

Ali might be the greatest clincher in the history of boxing so I dunno about that. He literally beat George Foreman in the clinch
George and Ali were the same size. Same height. Same reach. Only 3lbs difference.

Tyson (6 inches taller and 50lbs heavier) would be different within the clinch game.

Marciano was 5'10" and 185 lbs. Any hard punch from Fury would send him flying out of the ring.
I doubt it.
Marciano had the best chin I've seen in heavyweight boxing.

Not that Fury doesn't have a good chin as well.

Plus I mentioned that I think Marciano and Joe Lewis would give Fury TROUBLE. Never said they would beat him.

I know nostalgia is real but I just can't see how you can favor Ali against someone like fury. not only is Tyson massively bigger he's also just as good as Ali technically. Ali is lighter and faster on the feet but Fury speed is not too far behind either. which is crazy considering his enormous size. Ali also struggles with guys that can jab with him. And Tyson has an amazing jab with way more power and reach behind it compared to Ali's jab.

I mean if we look at it objectively, this is a nightmare matchup for Ali.

Most modern day boxers would beat guys from the past. Its like that with every sport.

Boxing is unlike other sports, as it's been declining in popularity since the 60's. Ali wouldn't even be a boxer today, he'd play football, basketball or baseball.

This is one of the reasons they europeans have taken over HW boxing... they're less likely to catch the eyes of NFL and NBA scouts--and popular sport in Europe don't favor really big men.

I would also favor Fury. He truly is a beast. So was Ali. Overall i think athletes do evolve to a certain extent, even tho i think the progress is slowing down more and more. And with boxing back in the day there was a bigger talent pool and Ali was the king of a very competitive era. But he is still really really tiny in comparison to Fury, who has enormous height and reach, very good speed, great footwork, crazy ability to recover, good chin, very good stamina for such a behemoth etc..

article-0-00035BDD00000C1D-845_634x431.jpg

Here is Ali being dropped and being very very close to being stopped by a 180 lbs man. his team kind of cheated by giving him smelling salts (which was illegal) and cutting his gloves open in the corner, to give him more time to recover. So yeah everyone slips sometimes.

Boxing is unlike other sports, as it's been declining in popularity since the 60's. Ali wouldn't even be a boxer today, he'd play football, basketball or baseball.

This is one of the reasons they europeans have taken over HW boxing... they're less likely to catch the eyes of NFL and NBA scouts--and popular sport in Europe don't favor really big men.

lol not this fckin nonsense again!

If you watch nfl, then I’d assume you realise that it is the US version of rugby. It’s played all over the world. US football is the 9th most popular sport by participation in the world. Rugby league is 10th, rugby Union is 5th most popular. This is where all of the bigger athletes end up in many parts of the world. In Wales and n Zealand, everyone plays the sport, it’s a key part of their culture. Very few big athletes go in to boxing, no different from the US. It is still a niche sport in Europe

kids play sports because they enjoy them. They become professionals because they excel in a certain sport. This theory that talented youngsters can pick and choose what sport they play, based on money is ridiculous.

The US still had more registered HW boxers than any other country. If anything, the main reason yous have struggled at the higher weights is due to lack of funding at amateur level. Most of the best current HWs are top ex Amis, from countries with good recent records in the amateurs.

If we're talking prime Ali, I think his stamina and workrate make the big difference. Fury can fight on the front foot, as we saw against Wilder, but I doubt he'd have nearly as much success doing it against a guy with Ali's legs and stamina. It's a tough matchup for Fury, to be honest. Despite his size he's used to being the more agile and fluid guy, and he definitely wouldn't be that in the ring. I don't think he has the stamina to fight a high pressure game against a prime Ali. Nor do I think he has the volume, speed or craft to outbox him, or the power to bail him out if he fails with the prior two courses of action. I think it's a fight Ali would edge on points in a clear, but fairly competitive fight.

I don't see a lot of reason to think Ali wouldn't be dominant in this era. I expect Usyk's relative success (Usyk is a little smaller than Ali, slower, lighter hitting and just generally inferior) in this era to provide evidence for that. There are other top HWs historically who I think Fury would fare much better against.

If we're talking prime Ali, I think his stamina and workrate make the big difference. Fury can fight on the front foot, as we saw against Wilder, but I doubt he'd have nearly as much success doing it against a guy with Ali's legs and stamina. It's a tough matchup for Fury, to be honest. Despite his size he's used to being the more agile and fluid guy, and he definitely wouldn't be that in the ring. I don't think he has the stamina to fight a high pressure game against a prime Ali. Nor do I think he has the volume, speed or craft to outbox him, or the power to bail him out if he fails with the prior two courses of action. I think it's a fight Ali would edge on points in a clear, but fairly competitive fight.

I don't see a lot of reason to think Ali wouldn't be dominant in this era. I expect Usyk's relative success (Usyk is a little smaller than Ali, slower, lighter hitting and just generally inferior) in this era to provide evidence for that. There are other top HWs historically who I think Fury would fare much better against.

I think Ali and Usyk are about the same height / frame / weight.

I doubt it.
Marciano had the best chin I've seen in heavyweight boxing.

Not that Fury doesn't have a good chin as well.

Plus I mentioned that I think Marciano and Joe Lewis would give Fury TROUBLE. Never said they would beat him.
You think Marciano's chin was better than McCall, Tua and Vitali Klitschko? Walcott and Moore put him down.

Louis has beaten giants as well. But, they didn't move like Fury

article-0-00035BDD00000C1D-845_634x431.jpg

Here is Ali being dropped and being very very close to being stopped by a 180 lbs man. his team kind of cheated by giving him smelling salts (which was illegal) and cutting his gloves open in the corner, to give him more time to recover. So yeah everyone slips sometimes.

BS!! He is obviously not troubled at all! Matter of fact if you look closely you can see he’s just actually sitting there thinking what he should eat for sides after the fight. “Callahd greens, mac and cheese, or mashed pataytahs?” It’s clear as day...

You think Marciano's chin was better than McCall, Tua and Vitali Klitschko? Walcott and Moore put him down.

Louis has beaten giants as well. But, they didn't move like Fury
Knocked down and knocked out at two different things.
I do agree that Vitali had a legendary chin as well.

I don't think Louis could beat Fury, I said he would give him trouble.

Back