Lethwei (headbutt combat) coming to U.S. to poach MMA fighters

It'll never get licensed in the US or anywhere else that the UFC holds events so it could get as big as BKFC and attract the same calibre of has-beens.
The UFC had headbutts in it at the beginning, I don't recall them being particularly significant.

Mark Coleman used them very effectively and Wandy too. Only reason Coleman wasn’t dominant is because he had no striking.

The guy who ko'd Adesanya is the reigning defending GLORY champion that's ko'd several other people. Look at the way Adesanya moves, his reflexes and his technique. If you can't see a special striker you're delusional. Muay Thai has a much deeper talent pool, more participants makes it more competitive that's a fact of any field. It's only punch heavy because the best kickers are much more athletic and doing other arts. The best punchers are in boxing anyways.

Adesanya is only a special striker in the mma context, where calf kicks are a big deal and seen as a “game changer.” Deal with it.

Adesanya is only a special striker in the mma context, where calf kicks are a big deal and seen as a “game changer.” Deal with it.
75-5 is a damn good record. You really think Dave Leduc would last a round against Adesanya in a striking fight? Lol if you do.

75-5 is a damn good record. You really think Dave Leduc would last a round against Adesanya in a striking fight? Lol if you do.
I think you underrate Leduc and overrate anime nerd boy.

I wonder if this can go over Japan, could you imagine Rizin adding headbutts?

If they fought under Lethwei rules, yeah probably.

I'm just saying that guy made over a million in a heavily domestic sport during a time when kickboxing related sports make very little money - if he was as bad as they say people would just cross over into Burmese Boxing and take his spot.

MT and LW have different spacing because of the rule changes and thus some techniques are more effective than others. Just because Leduc didn't do well in MT doesn't mean that LW sucks, that doesn't really make sense. I mean a lot of kickboxers get their asses kicked in MT, doesn't mean that kickboxing isn't a legitimate sport with good fighters.

Muay Thai, Burmese Boxing and Kickboxing are all different sports. If you're not very good at kicking than you're not going to do as well in Muay Thai as you would the other sports.

If they fought under Lethwei rules, yeah probably.

I'm just saying that guy made over a million in a heavily domestic sport during a time when kickboxing related sports make very little money - if he was as bad as they say people would just cross over into Burmese Boxing and take his spot.

MT and LW have different spacing because of the rule changes and thus some techniques are more effective than others. Just because Leduc didn't do well in MT doesn't mean that LW sucks, that doesn't really make sense. I mean a lot of kickboxers get their asses kicked in MT, doesn't mean that kickboxing isn't a legitimate sport with good fighters.

Muay Thai, Burmese Boxing and Kickboxing are all different sports. If you're not very good at kicking than you're not going to do as well in Muay Thai as you would the other sports.
No one wants to cross over to Burmese boxing because it's a lower tier sport. It's just like going from boxing to BKFC. Kickboxing and MT have a comparable talent pool hence why you'll see guys from each sport beating each other in different rulesets. Burmese boxing = BKFC in comparison to kickboxing and MT.

The guy who ko'd Adesanya is the reigning defending GLORY champion that's ko'd several other people. Look at the way Adesanya moves, his reflexes and his technique. If you can't see a special striker you're delusional. Muay Thai has a much deeper talent pool, more participants makes it more competitive that's a fact of any field. It's only punch heavy because the best kickers are much more athletic and doing other arts. The best punchers are in boxing anyways.

KB is a fallback sport for Boxers and Muay Thai fighters.

I remember when Mark Coleman protege Nick Nutter took down a tired Igor Vovchanchyn, held him tight against the cage and ground & ponded him with knees, punches and elbows for 25 minutes, then Igor threw some weird looping uppercut headbutts from his back against the cage and smashed Nutter's nose, winning the fight.

67 fuckin minutes of fighting in one day for Igor.

<Aug3>

Those were the days.

No one wants to cross over to Burmese boxing because it's a lower tier sport. It's just like going from boxing to BKFC. Kickboxing and MT have a comparable talent pool hence why you'll see guys from each sport beating each other in different rulesets. Burmese boxing = BKFC in comparison to kickboxing and MT.
Money is money. So some of these guys are gonna fight for peanuts instead of just becoming the GOAT Lethwei guy and making stacks? Leduc made a lot of money compared to most KB and MT guys. He's legitimately rich. At the very least some legit KB/MT guy should just beat his ass and take his shine in Lethwei.

Maybe the talent isn't good but why would that matter? The talent in Bellator isn't as good as the UFC, but they still have some top fighters because it's easy money. Same should apply to Lethwei.

Anyway back to the original point, saying Lethwei sucks because Lethwei fighters don't do well in Muay Thai is like saying Muay Thai fighters suck because they don't do well in boxing (and plenty have tried, most get no traction at all).

Last edited:
Money is money. So some of these guys are gonna fight for peanuts instead of just becoming the GOAT Lethwei guy and making stacks? Leduc made a lot of money compared to most KB and MT guys. He's legitimately rich. At the very least some legit KB/MT guy should just beat his ass and take his shine in Lethwei.

Maybe the talent isn't good but why would that matter? The talent in Bellator isn't as good as the UFC, but they still have some top fighters because it's easy money. Same should apply to Lethwei.

Anyway back to the original point, saying Lethwei sucks because Lethwei fighters don't do well in Muay Thai is like saying Muay Thai fighters suck because they don't do well in boxing (and plenty have tried, most get no traction at all).
Not doing well in Muay Thai wasn't really my point. My point was the talent pool is significantly better in every other striking sport compared to Lethwei. Beating up midgets in a 3rd world country in a sport with no talent pool is what makes it inferior. Adding headbutts doesn't automatically make him a better striker than champions in other sports.

I remember when Mark Coleman protege Nick Nutter took down a tired Igor Vovchanchyn, held him tight against the cage and ground & ponded him with knees, punches and elbows for 25 minutes, then Igor threw some weird looping uppercut headbutts from his back against the cage and smashed Nutter's nose, winning the fight.

Nick used to post a bit on Sherdog. I wish I could remember what he said about that.

Nick used to post a bit on Sherdog. I wish I could remember what he said about that.

After their second fight, I bet Nick wishes he could remember too!

Joking aside, it would be interesting to hear his take on what was a freak upset that snatched defeat from the jaws of victory, and then a another gutting quick KO before he could even get going in the revenge fight.

He seems like a nice guy from what he posted in the comments and apparently he and Igor were friends/became friends over this, so I would imagine that he was humble in defeat and gave all credit to Igor, but was probably very disappointed with himself for not being able to carry on in the first fight, and not tucking his chin on the takedown in the second fight, but he's probably OK with it now, since a broken nose is a broken nose no matter how big and tough you are, and there's no shame in being stopped by having your airway fucked up and being unable to breath properly 25 gruelling minutes into your 3rd fight of the night.

Back