Let us talk about footwork and foot placement, and stance

When you say neutral bodylock, do you mean that over and under the Greco roman guys are in? If so, why couldn't you lead foot be the same side as the overhook? Cant you turn into a hip throw easier that way?

Because you will get step around bodylocked or hit in a Polish throw.

okay for a specific situation you requested:

how should my feet be placed, if in the beginning of the match I try to get the first standard collar/sleeve grip, with my right hand on his collar, left on the sleeve? This is before I go for any throw because I need to see how the other guy reacts first.

okay for a specific situation you requested:

how should my feet be placed, if in the beginning of the match I try to get the first standard collar/sleeve grip, with my right hand on his collar, left on the sleeve? This is before I go for any throw because I need to see how the other guy reacts first.

Right foot forward, staggered, knees bent, not leaning.

Is that for gi or no gi?

Both. And leaning is a relative term...you can be very upright or very bent over, but your back should be straight and your shoulders should be higher than your hips.

If you stand staggered while in the standard collar/sleeve clinch what should weight distribution be when not attacking? How far away can you feet be from one another? Should you have your front foot in a certain place relative to your opponants foot?

You would not lead with sleeve grip side foot either.

Lost in translation, sorry, overhook would be the sleeve grip and underhook would be the lapel grip.

If you put your sleeve grip leg forward you are T'ed up perfectly for a throw.

Lost in translation, sorry, overhook would be the sleeve grip and underhook would be the lapel grip.

If you put your sleeve grip leg forward you are T'ed up perfectly for a throw.

I imagine that your foot also has to be on the outside of your Uke's leg or at least pointing outwards.

What I understand about the judo gripping rules, is you can only have the collar/sleeve grip when in defensive or neutral mode. If you take what they call unorthodox grips, then you have to be attacking. Since two out of three modes means you can only take that one same grip for most the clinching portion of the match, I can see footwork or foot placement being played around with more often.

In no-gi like high wrestling, footwork is almost like striking footwork. You have to shoot in on someone like a boxer ducks under the jab. You have to sidestep around to the side or all the way to the back of your opponent just like the boxer who tries to dance around his opponent.

Because you will get step around bodylocked or hit in a Polish throw.

Are you talking about leading with the leg on the side of your overhook, or the opponent's? I can see a step-around bodylock happening in either scenario (with the deciding factor being who off-balances whom first), but the 'classic' Polish as I know it happens as I step around on the side of my overhook/opponent's underhook, allowing me to use the underhook on the far side to twist and throw him over the trapped leg.

Obviously, I know that you know your shit, I'm just curious if leading with your overhook side leg is what you mean. My most immediate concern (though maybe not the biggest) in that situation would be getting single legged.

Are you talking about leading with the leg on the side of your overhook, or the opponent's? I can see a step-around bodylock happening in either scenario (with the deciding factor being who off-balances whom first), but the 'classic' Polish as I know it happens as I step around on the side of my overhook/opponent's underhook, allowing me to use the underhook on the far side to twist and throw him over the trapped leg.

Obviously, I know that you know your shit, I'm just curious if leading with your overhook side leg is what you mean. My most immediate concern (though maybe not the biggest) in that situation would be getting single legged.

It really depends on who is quicker I guess.

Back