Let’s talk lever guns

leto1776

Sherdog Wet Shaver
Platinum Member
Reaction score
What do you have? Show me off.
Favorite Make/model?
Ammunition?
Side ejection or old school top ejection?
Side gate loading or tube loading?
Tactical or old school?

Definitely getting a lever gun for my next ppurchase, just have to decide what. Been going down the YT rabbit hole this week. Also planning to purchase a Henry Golden Boy for my mother’s 60th Bday next month.

I have one of these in 45-70. It shoots spot on, but it's been months since I last shot it and my shoulder still hurts.
marlin-model-1895-lever-action-rifle-1248276-1.jpg

I have one of these in 45-70. It shoots spot on, but it's been months since I last shot it and my shoulder still hurts.
marlin-model-1895-lever-action-rifle-1248276-1.jpg
Never shot 45-70. How does it compare to the kick of 30.06?

Never shot 45-70. How does it compare to the kick of 30.06?
Lots.

Noticeably more uncomfortable to shoot.

Its not bad offhand, where you can roll with the kick, but prone, where its on top your collarbone. Its a beating.

I do like though. Id rather have it over a 30-30.

The best representative of the type.

My grandfather gave it to me on Christmas a few years back. I believe he bought it at a sears or jcpenny department store. Bought it as a target and deer rifle.

It's great, has some wear, a little bit of rust on the butt plate but it's a great shooter with a very nice trigger.

I've got a Marlin .336 in .30-30, I grew up hunting deer with it and to this day it's my favorite rifle. Probably nostalgic reasons of being 14 in the tree stand on opening day with that rifle in my arms.

mln-70432.jpg

SBL Series (Stainless Steel so you wont have to worry about it rusting)

Last edited:
I've got Winchester and Marlin 30-30s. Both are hand me downs from my grandfather.

30-30 can take down any piece of game in N America and probably bagged more deer than any other cartridge. That was certainly true up til a few years ago.

Anyone have any experience with Rossi 92s? Seems like they're okay out of the box for weekend shooting, but need some gunsmithing for anything serious. I'd like to get an 1892, and the Rossi seems like the best option without breaking the bank.

Anyone have any experience with Rossi 92s? Seems like they're okay out of the box for weekend shooting, but need some gunsmithing for anything serious. I'd like to get an 1892, and the Rossi seems like the best option without breaking the bank.
What are you intending to use it for?

I learnt to hunt with a 92 wich my dad passed down to me and it does what its meant to do. I point it at pigs pull the trigger and they usually die. Mines abit smacked up and some times it fails to feed if you dont work the lever hard also the front of the stock slides forward.

Define "serious".

In my experience, people who dislike Rossis, were people who bought them for a budget SASS (Cowboy Action Shooting) experience, that eventually upgraded to Ubteris, which also need tuning if you compete at a high enough level.

I only own one lever action right now, a Henry Golden Boy in .22, which I enjoy very much. If they eventually make a side loading Big Boy (not that tacticool, railed shit) in .357, I swear I will buy it immediately.

What are you intending to use it for?

I learnt to hunt with a 92 wich my dad passed down to me and it does what its meant to do. I point it at pigs pull the trigger and they usually die. Mines abit smacked up and some times it fails to feed if you dont work the lever hard also the front of the stock slides forward.
For myself? Weekend shooting.
Define "serious".

In my experience, people who dislike Rossis, were people who bought them for a budget SASS (Cowboy Action Shooting) experience, that eventually upgraded to Ubteris, which also need tuning if you compete at a high enough level.
That’s mostly what I see when it comes to people saying it needs work. Seen one or two others, although they admit that the action would get smoother the more rounds they put through it.

I only own one lever action right now, a Henry Golden Boy in .22, which I enjoy very much. If they eventually make a side loading Big Boy (not that tacticool, railed shit) in .357, I swear I will buy it immediately.
I’m actually thinking about the big boy in .357 myself. Maybe even getting the mare’s leg along with it. I think Henry is hesitant about bringing out the side gate on more models, because it’ll mean almost the complete end of sales for models that don’t have it, include those already on the market.

Schwarzenegger approved
100_6425.jpg_thumbnail1.jpg

mln-70432.jpg

SBL Series (Stainless Steel so you wont have to worry about it rusting)
1894s have such a cool look with the side wall being integral to the bolt. I keep seeing complaints about the Marlins produced since Remington took over. Looks like Remington is selling Marlin off, however. Will be interesting to see if any changes are made.

Browning BLR 308. 4rd magazine. Scoped. Looks like this...

th

Back