Lessons on trade

Darth_Inv1ctu5

Yellow Card
@Black
Reaction score

Well worth a watch if only to reignite one's suicidal tendencies

Fuck that hack. John Oliver is an arrogant and intellectually dishonest douche.

I haven’t watched it yet but it doesn’t matter who delivers the message as long as it’s right. Though I’m guessing the lesson is that tariffs suck

Look at who is in the white house. John Oliver is arrogant and annoying but nothing he says here is incorrect. Don't need to like it to agree with it.

Look at who is in the white house. John Oliver is arrogant and annoying but nothing he says here is incorrect. Don't need to like it to agree with it.

He dishonestly takes advantage of peoples ignorance of how complicated and nuanced a lot of subjects are. He smugly suggests they are simple and easy.

He dishonestly takes advantage of peoples ignorance of how complicated and nuanced a lot of subjects are. He smugly suggests they are simple and easy.
he points out flaws in the American system and it hurts because he isnt American..... thats what annoys you about him right?

He does that sometimes but hardly all the time - the very specific case in point is this fucking video where he actually explains that trade is complicated. I couldn't have picked an episode more contrary to your point if I tried.

taken some of those Canada put downs a bit hard then?

No I welcome criticism. The Problem is that Jon Oliver the hack won't criticize Canada for what it's doing wrong because he sees Canada as the liberal good guys. Mean while we've been hijacked by radical leftist loons who pass laws to criminalize their opposition.

No I welcome criticism. The Problem is that Jon Oliver the hack won't criticize Canada for what it's doing wrong because he sees Canada as the liberal good guys. Mean while we've been hijacked by radical leftist loons who pass laws to criminalize their opposition.
so your complaint is that he doesnt focus on Canadian issues you care about on his American comedy show?

Canada are the liberal good guys in comparison to most nations, hate to break it to you

then it should be easy for you to refute his claims, ill wait.....

so your complaint is that he doesnt focus on Canadian issues you care about on his American comedy show?

Canada are the liberal good guys in comparison to most nations, hate to break it to you

Canada is an enemy of free speech and personal liberties under the current government.

Canada is an enemy of free speech and personal liberties under the current government.
they've maybe made some mistakes, but you would much rather live in Canada than in many other places

I don't see a trade war continuing between US, and Europe & Canada for the long-term. This just seems like a contest of economic strength before another free trade deal is struck.

However, when it comes to China, the trade war was started by China. America just reacted to it, with a little latency, but still. Their property was being stolen at a frantic pace and they weren't given too many other options to deal with the problem.

The United States Trade Representative, which led the seven-month investigation into China's intellectual property theft and made recommendations to the Trump administration, found that "Chinese theft of American IP currently costs between $225 billion and $600 billion annually."

Those numbers are in line with a 2017 report from the Commission on the Theft of American Intellectual Property.

https://money.cnn.com/2018/03/23/technology/china-us-trump-tariffs-ip-theft/index.html

Don't have time to watch.

Is Oliver for Free Trade or against?

Fucking cringe! Reads thread title, clicks in hopes of useful insight, sees a John Oliver video. A FUCKING JOHN OLIVER VIDEO! TS I’m actually embarrassed for you. Maybe next you’ll bless us with a “lesson” from Whoopi Goldberg

Well worth a watch if only to reignite one's suicidal tendencies

He is so wrong.

Look, if the goal is to keep tarrifs in place permanently, then he is right. Lower tides will lower all boats.

If the goal is to use tarrifs as leverage to negotiate a new set of rules, then he is wrong.

The question we should all be asking, is what is Trump re-negotiating the rules to.

Is he just picking new winners and losers in new rigged trade agreements?

Is he actually negotiating fair trade deals?

What does the new Mexico trade agreement actually say?

I have not seen a good analysis of the agreement yet, and it is the first real example of what Trump's goals in trade are.

He isn't running the show anyway, Robert Lighthizer is.

He isn't running the show anyway, Robert Lighthizer is.

Dont say that, Trump may stumble upon your post and end up firing him for stealing his thunder.

Back