Les Miserables

You make it too easy.

So you're here for the little homos?

That's pretty ignorant.
Musicals/opera/theatre are a cultured artform and a staple of civilized society.
If you don't like them, get out of the thread and go back to drawing on the cave walls.

I said a little homo. Not full homo. I like theatre but avoid musicals.

Saw it today with the wifey, not my type of movie but she really wanted to go so we caught an early show today. I thought it was very good for the genre even though it's not really my style, but the performances were incredible from most of the actors, only thing I didn't like about it was Russell Crowe (even though I usually love him) and the film felt too a bit too long. Overall though, if you like musicals or are a fan of the broadway, the movie delivers.

mixed I don't know I love musicals but one that are fun to play with RHPS, LSOH, and Grease for instance. Hated Sweeney Todd and thought all the songs on it sounds bland and boring. How are these?

Great art. I'm especially impressed at how large your drawings are. Are they all as big as the Vitor vs. AS pic?

Saw Les Mis the other night, too.

I didn't really like it that much tbh. I don't know why it was ever made into a musical without any real songs, its more of an opera imo. The cop deserved much more backstory.

That being said, it was done very well. Jackman*, Hathaway*, Seyfried, and the girl who sang in the rain were all very impressive.

*Oscar worthy

I do not remember boobs. There was some cleavage, but no boobs.
Decent movie, had a lot of problems with it, but it was entertaining for the most part.

Never seen the show but the movie doesn't sound worth it.

Great art. I'm especially impressed at how large your drawings are. Are they all as big as the Vitor vs. AS pic?

Saw Les Mis the other night, too.

I didn't really like it that much tbh. I don't know why it was ever made into a musical without any real songs, its more of an opera imo. The cop deserved much more backstory.

That being said, it was done very well. Jackman*, Hathaway*, Seyfried, and the girl who sang in the rain were all very impressive.

*Oscar worthy

Samantha Barks, who played the role for the 25th anniversary touring of the show.

My mom, sister and uncle saw it yesterday (I abstained) and they loved it, including my uncle who hates everything.

I loooooovveee Les Mis. So much. I heard that Crowe wasn't very good, especially at singing, which sucks because Javert is one of my favourite characters ever and Crowe is a fantastic actor. Hopefully he didn't butcher Stars too bad. Oh well. I really, really want to see this. The guy that plays Marius better be an awesome singer though.

I loooooovveee Les Mis. So much. I heard that Crowe wasn't very good, especially at singing, which sucks because Javert is one of my favourite characters ever and Crowe is a fantastic actor. Hopefully he didn't butcher Stars too bad. Oh well. I really, really want to see this. The guy that plays Marius better be an awesome singer though.

Its just not his element man, and it hurts that Jackman and Hathaway are great in their roles hell, hathaway's rendition of I dreamed a dream alone is more powerful than Crowe's entire performance which is saying alot when considering how much more screen time he gets as Javert. Don't worry Eddie Redmayne plays Marius and I thought that he was fantastic and it speaks volumes that he doesn't get overshadowed.

Crowe sounded pretty bad in the trailer.

So we're all agreed that Russell Crowe was bad (perhaps not as bad as Pierce Brosnan in Mamma Mia! bad, but bad) but people actually liked Hugh Jackman? I disliked their decision to let the actors and actresses set the tempo of the songs especially during Jackman's renditions of "What Have I Done?" and "Valjean's Death". One thing that also really bothered me was the hilariously inappropriate cracking sound upon impact, during Javert's suicide. While I'm the kind of asshole that laughs at that sort of thing, Javert is a very tragic and sympathetic character whom I felt, deserved to die with more dignity. Still, like anything Les Miz, it's difficult for me not to enjoy, I'll definitely be adding the Blu Ray to my collection of various Les Miz performances, when it becomes available.

i really, really enjoyed it. the musical genre is pretty meh- though there are some great ones from the 50s/60s era- but this one really had tremendous performances. there was more emotional resonance because the actors really embodied the characters and poured themselves into the songs.

les miserables is a pretty awesome stage show for those whove seen it on broadway but i thought the film was better because the film medium allows you to see things that could not have been conveyed in the play.

for instance,

when ValJean saves Marius, the movie did an awesome job of showing how fucking difficult that was to do. the barricade scenes were obviously able to be fleshed out more too. redmayne and seyfried were also likable and convincing in a way that i did not think they would be so that was an improvement in my opinion. when i saw the show on broadway with my family a dozen years ago, i thought marius and cosette's storyline was the weak link of an otherwise stellar show but redmayne blew this part away and basically made the cosette/marius relationship more involving in doing so. barks was great as eponine, too

as for crowe- he seems to be getting a lot of hate but i thought it was an effective performance. his vocal style is not particularly suited to that type of material but he pulls it off competently enough.

Really good movie and I don't like musicals.
Badly autotuned singing from Russell Crowe and the pug-eyed blonde girl but apart from that it was a great tale executed in an impressive manner.

I heard all the singing was done live on set?

I heard all the singing was done live on set?

Yeah, which at times, sounded more like an emotional monologue with accompanying background music. I really wasn't a fan of that particular decision.

The little girl is someone I knows sister. If she grows up to be a hot celeb I'll start talking to him more.

Back