Leonard Garcia's UFC Job Is Safe Despite Fourth Consecutive Defeat

Maybe he should change weight classes. I mean, a 1-4 (0-5?) record in the UFC at Featherweight is nothing to sneeze at, but he probably would be better off with a clean slate.

ive always wondered shy some guys are cuit after 2-3 losses, or sometimes even 1 loss, yet other can lost 4 in a row and still keep their spot on the roster.

neither garcia nor hardy are stars with drawing power, so i wonder what it is.

Because Dana and Lorenzo like guys who war. That's why Hardy and Garcia were kept even after 4 loses, they war!

It's a good strategy if you ask me, either you war and keep your job or bore people with safe fighting and get cut after one loss.

Four defeats in a row is generous, he clearly lost to Nam and KZ the first times they fought. It's closer to seven losses in a row.

Another example to throw at those blaming every boring fight on fighters being scared Dana will cut them after one loss.

Four defeats in a row is generous, he clearly lost to Nam and KZ the first times they fought. It's closer to seven losses in a row.

TJ De Santis and Jordan Breen mentioned that the Jameel Massouh fight was pretty controversial too. They were hinting 0-10. It's a joke - I'm glad some fellow Sherdoggers have picked up on this.

Leonard Garcia (15-10-1 overall):

6-9-1 under zuffa (UFC and WEC combined)
10 decisions
4 fight losing streak

LOSS Max Holloway Dec / 29 / 2012 Decision (Split)
LOSS Matt Grice Jun / 8 / 2012 Decision (Unanimous)
LOSS Nam Phan Oct / 8 / 2011 Decision (Unanimous)
LOSS Chan Sung Jung Mar / 26 / 2011 Submission (Twister)
WIN Nam Phan Dec / 4 / 2010 Decision (Split)
LOSS Mark Hominick Sep / 30 / 2010 Decision (Split)
WIN Chan Sung Jung Apr / 24 / 2010 Decision (Split)
DRAW George Roop Mar / 6 / 2010 Draw (Split)
LOSS Manny Gamburyan Nov / 18 / 2009 Decision (Unanimous)
WIN Jameel Massouh Aug / 9 / 2009 Decision (Split)
LOSS Mike Thomas Brown Mar / 1 / 2009 Submission (Arm-Triangle Choke)
WIN Jens Pulver Nov / 5 / 2008 TKO (Punches)
WIN Hiroyuki Takaya Feb / 13 / 2008 KO (Punch)
LOSS Cole Miller Sep / 19 / 2007 Decision (Unanimous)
WIN Allen Berube Jun / 23 / 2007 Submission (Rear-Naked Choke)
LOSS Roger Huerta Apr / 7 / 2007 Decision (Unanimous)

Am i missing something here?

I thought he won the fight personally. I was pretty shocked that Max got the decision, and even more shocked that Leonard actually deserved the win.

Did NOT expect that, I expected Max to demolish him. Props to Leonard for proving me wrong. Dude came prepared.

Glad he isn't getting cut. I never hope for an exciting fighter to get cut, I don't care if they aren't technical or don't win a lot. The UFC is getting more like PRIDE lately, keeping exciting fan favorites regardless of their abilities.

A step in the right direction in my opinion.

I also personally think before this fight his last win was against Pulver, and he should have been 0-10 in his last 10 fights...but who the fuck cares? Not everyone is there to be a champ. He plays his journeyman role well.

every fighter that fights like Leonard should get this type of treatment.

What were the score cards for his fight last night?

To be fair, I wouldnt have complained if he'd won the split decision, not a fan of Garcia but he put a good shift in last night. Surprised he wasnt cut though, there's a case for him being 1-11 or something!

Back