Leon vs Wonderboy (assuming he wins) is the obvious next belt-challenger fight

NationWideNinja

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
Assuming Wonderboy doesnt fuck up his body again and has to recover for 6 months, Leon vs Wonderboy should be on the same card as Usman vs Colby 2. They could also function as a potential back-up for the main fight.

If Wonderboy does lose or gets badly injured, then it should just be Leon for the belt no questions asked.

I say this purely because I think Wonderboy needs to have that final shot at the belt while hes still somewhat in his prime, but I dont think he deserves it over Leon with a win over Burns. So having them fight makes perfect sense.

If Usman beats Wonderboy in impressive fashion I will consider him better than GSP.

No. UFC trying to set up 3 piece w/ soda vs Leon. Leon ducked Wonderboy. Guy almost got KOd by Nate Wonderboy would tool him

Wonderboy will deserve the shot with a win. Make Leon VS Colby, if they refuse then they won’t get a title shot and just make Chiesa VS Usman.

If Wonderboy struggles with Burns, I could see the UFC doing this even if he would deserve a TS.

If Wonderboy destroys Burns all 3 rounds or KO's him, he should get the shot no matter what.

The fuck? If Wonderboy beats Burns, he should immediately get the shot against Usman.

Wonderboy will deserve the shot with a win. Make Leon VS Colby, if they refuse then they won’t get a title shot and just make Chiesa VS Usman.

If Wonderboy struggles with Burns, I could see the UFC doing this even if he would deserve a TS.

If Wonderboy destroys Burns all 3 rounds or KO's him, he should get the shot no matter what.

For real? Like I dont think its a crazy idea, but Wonderboy would only be on a three-fight win streak since getting KTFO’d by Pettis not too long ago and losing to Till.

Edwards meanwhile hasnt lost in like 5 years and that loss was against Usman, is on a 9-fight winstreak and has wins against Tumenov, Luque, Cerrone, Nelson, RDA, Diaz.

I mean idk

<Neil01>

Last edited:
not a big fan of either, but do you want to see leon get destroyed? Leon has nothing for Usman or Colby, and gets decimated by both.

For real? Like I dont think its a crazy idea, but Wonderboy would only be on a three-fight win streak since getting KTFO’d by Pettis not too long and losing to Till.

Edwards meanwhile hasnt lost in like 5 years and that loss was against Usman, is on a 9-fight winstreak and has wins against Tumenov, Luque, Cerrone, Nelson, RDA, Diaz.

I mean idk

<Neil01>
I mean Leon does deserves it, but Wonderboy would've beat better competition in those 3 fights. His win over Luque is more impressive IMO, since Luque was ranked(10 at the time) and on a 6 fight winstreak when Thompson beat him. Neal was on a 7 fight winstreak when Wonderboy beat him also.
If Wonderboy runs through Burns, I think he deserves it more.

I mean Leon does deserves it, but Wonderboy would've beat better competition in those 3 fights. His win over Luque is more impressive IMO, since Luque was ranked(10 at the time) and on a 6 fight winstreak when Thompson beat him. Neal was on a 7 fight winstreak when Wonderboy beat him also.

Thats fair, but doesnt the fact that arguments can be made for both, make Leon vs Wonderboy the perfect fight?

Leon ducked Wonderboy for a while. If Wonderboy beats Burns, he deserve his shot at Usman.

For me, Wonderboy is the most interesting matchup for Usman right now.
Leon never ducked Wonderboy. Wonderboy refused to fight Leon twice. Leon fought Balal and Diaz because everyone in the top 5 refused to fight him

Wonderboy/Leon would be a very good high level striking matchup. Likely not super entertaining though, probably a lot of dancing around and staring at each other waiting for the other guy to strike. I'd enjoy the chess match though.

Having said that, if Wonderboy finishes Burns, I'd like to see him get the title shot right away. He's 38 years old, if he fights Burns and then has to fight Leon and then wait again to fight for the title, he'll literally be 40 years old by the time that happens. I really want to see a prime Wonderboy fight Usman. Unfortunately that ship has maybe already sailed at this point, at 38 years old and an extensive injury history Wonderboy's living on borrowed time before Father Time strikes and he has a sharp decline.

Beating Luque, Neal and Burns is not more impressive than a 9 fight win streak.

Back