Leon Edwards ducked Wonderboy to fight Chimaev instead

So basically Wonderboy wanted to fight Leon Edwards, Chimaev wanted to fight Wonderboy, and Edwards wanted to fight for the title. After it became clear Edwards was getting no such title fight, he had two options; either fight Wonderboy (and solidify his place as next in line IF he won) or Chimaev (an over-hyped, journeyman, up-and-comer). Wonderboy would have dominated Leon and he knows it, so he took the easy fight against an overrated up and comer just so he wouldn't have to get pieced up by Wonderboy. Either way I still look forward to seeing Khazmat get exposed by an OK fighter (Wonderboy would have dominated either).

Wonderboy > Leon > Khazmat
Silly choice because Khamzat will smesh Leon and Wonderboy

So basically Wonderboy wanted to fight Leon Edwards, Chimaev wanted to fight Wonderboy, and Edwards wanted to fight for the title. After it became clear Edwards was getting no such title fight, he had two options; either fight Wonderboy (and solidify his place as next in line IF he won) or Chimaev (an over-hyped, journeyman, up-and-comer). Wonderboy would have dominated Leon and he knows it, so he took the easy fight against an overrated up and comer just so he wouldn't have to get pieced up by Wonderboy. Either way I still look forward to seeing Khazmat get exposed by an OK fighter (Wonderboy would have dominated either).

Wonderboy > Leon > Khazmat
I think khazmat is a guaranteed headline fight while the wonder boy fight would be somewhere I. The card but not a headliner.

also Khazmat is already in fight island, which I think helps with logistics.

I think khazmat is a guaranteed headline fight while the wonder boy fight would be somewhere I. The card but not a headliner.

also Khazmat is already in fight island, which I think helps with logistics.

Aren't the remaining cards this year all in Vegas, though?

Conor vs Wonderboy would be a good Fight.

Thompson is 37 and lost 3 of his last 5. Chimaev is on a tear. Top fighters are ducking him.

Dana told Edwards he gets a TS if he beats Chimaev. Beating Wonderboy just does not mean a ton right now.
Fluke loss to Perrie, a fight he was dominating. Decision loss to Till that he actually won. Loss to current champ. Wonderboy has a far, far better resume than Edwards who has literally talked his way into a top 5 ranking. Edwards may be that good but a good idea would be to actually beat guys in the top 10 and especially someone in the top 5. Wonderboy likely would have beaten Edwards and now he’s instead fighting an unranked guy yet again. With a win over Chimaev he has deserved to fight someone like Wonderboy, but Edwards is probably too delusional thinking he will deserve a title shot.

theres more exposure with the chimaev fight. high risk high reward.
i personally think a win over oldboy won't do much for edwards.

I think Leon was holding out for a title shot. But the UFC forced him to take the Chimaev fight to keep his ranking. He probably regrets turning down the Wonderboy fight now. A win over Khamzat does nothing for him.

It actually does, Khamzat has huge momentum and a big following, everybody is talking about him, if Leon beats him, he steals some of that momentum.

Conor is the exception. Who has that kind of star power?
The statement that you have to fight or people forget wasn't qualified in any way to make one think that exceptions exist.

My response also did note the Wonderboy does have a more low-key persona than Conor, as a factor, so I'm not sure what you're disputing there.

The statement that you have to fight or people forget wasn't qualified in any way to make one think that exceptions exist.

My response also did note the Wonderboy does have a more low-key persona than Conor, as a factor, so I'm not sure what you're disputing there.
Conor is the GOAT MMA businessman and celebrity diva of all-time. Leave him out of this since he is an anomaly. Generally speaking guys need to be fighting to build up interest and excitement. Dana's new son Chimaev is a great example.

Better risk-reward for Leon Edwards.
WB is really good.
Khamzat could be a future great or he could be not-top-5-material.

If Leon loses it's about as bad either way, doesn't matter that much to whom.
If he wins they could both be seen as good wins, or it could be seen as WB is "on the decline" and Khamzat was "a hype job" - hard to predict.
Khamzat is a bigger win.
Might be a big name right now, but if he loses?
Then he could be seen as an unranked rookie who got to jump up too high too fast.

Last edited:
Wonderboy is a top 5 WW. Chim is a top 20 MW at best right now.

If Leon beat Wonderboy, a title shot would be perfectly reasonable. If Leon beats Chim, only the retarded half of Sherdog would think that cements his shot.

Shit I forgot about that... Edwards was acting like Wonderboy didn't deserve to fight him and should go fight Khamzat but now he's the one fighting Khamzat... That's a blatant duck imo.

The hype arouns chimaev and the fanbase hes created makes him a bugger fight for leon than Wonderbra

theres more exposure with the chimaev fight. high risk high reward.
i personally think a win over oldboy won't do much for edwards.
High rewards in terms of exposure and more eyeballs given Chimaev's rising star status? It's not like he's getting paid anything beyond his contract for this fight and should he lose he's gone from the title picture for an extended period. On the flip side can't imagine him thinking winning against Chimaev is going to put him next in line for a title shot, it would be cringey af if he wins and demands one.

"wonderboy" is 2-4 in last 6 fights and got outwrestled and beating up by recovering drug addict snuffer Matt Brown, gatekeeper at best. Leon is going for gold with a very high risk move. All the haters learn some facts please.

Conor is the GOAT MMA businessman and celebrity diva of all-time. Leave him out of this since he is an anomaly. Generally speaking guys need to be fighting to build up interest and excitement. Dana's new son Chimaev is a great example.

Yeah, "generally speaking" in the original statement saves us back and forth.

Back