Leo Santa Cruz will he be 1st ballot HOF?

Discussion in 'Boxing Discussion' started by DeJulez, Nov 1, 2020.

1. DeJulez Banned Banned

World Titles in 4 different weight classes
    • IBF Bantamweight
    • WBC Super Bantamweight
    • WBA Featherweight
    • WBA Super Featherweight

16-2-0 (7KOs) in World Championship fights

9-2-0 (5KOs)against current or former Champions.
    • Won against Carl Frampton, Abner Mares (2x), Kiko Martinez, Cristian Mijares, Jose Lopez, Victor Terrazas, Eric Morel, Alexander Munoz.
    • Lost against Carl Frampton, Gervonta Davis.
    HOF without a doubt but how long until he gets in pretending he retired today.
    And before he retires he should fight Gary Russell. They fought in the ammies I believe.

2. UnicornNinjas Green Belt

He's toeing the line for 1st ballot and it'll probably come down to the strength of the rest of the pool that year.

3. DeJulez Banned Banned

I was gonna mention that alot of it comes down to that years class but I think appreciation is gonna start coming in for him.
    This is one of the only times I've seen someone get blasted and actually gain more respect than they had before. By fighters and fans.

4. UnicornNinjas Green Belt

Agreed, he's good at what he does but his style is visually unspectacular and he doesn't have much in the way of hand speed or punch so I think he gets slept on a bit. Being involved in a war like that, laying it all on the line, losing in spectacular fashion and taking it all in stride earned him a lot of credit.

5. Hagler Man of wealth and taste

He achieved a lot without spectacular tools.

Back in 2019 modern times inductees were McGirt, Curry and Jackson. He certainly has a case for being picked over them.

UnicornNinjas and ironfist05 like this.
  6. ironfist05 Silver Belt

It all depends on who else is in his class and there are definitely some guys I'd like to see in there before him, but yeah, he certainly has a case.

7. KAZSoliloquy Banned Banned

he’s close, for sure. maybe not 1st ballot but he deserves a shout. if he comes back well from this loss and gets a couple more good wins, definitely

8. svmVR2097 Brown Belt

much better chance than Broner does as a 4 division champ

9. JayE Red Belt

In a weak year, yeah. Otherwise he'll likely have to wait a few years, but he'll get in eventually.

10. Wanderlei4Life Red Belt

He won’t make it.

Adrian Broner is a 4 division champ too and he’s not making it.

11. KillerIsBack V2 Black Belt

People have gotten in for much less, and people with much more accomplishment have not gotten in.
    Lets not pretend the IBhof know what their doing.
    Every thread I have ever seen here about a nominee list has mostly been complaints.

12. Kovalev's "Man Bag" I don't do titles

The class of a future Hall of Famer is a relative thing, not an absolute thing, in most cases (with clear exceptions being Fighter of the Decade type generational talents). Whether they'll be first-ballot and get in within their first year of eligibility depends on who they have to compete against that same year.

Generally speaking I'd be surprised if Santa Cruz got into the HOF immediately but like another poster said it could be a weak (or weaker) year by the time he's eligible. That said, he'll get in at some point regardless.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2020