Legs; strength = loss of speed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

?/?/?/

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Just started a leg workout routine, what is best to focus on? I fight light, around 160, so I don't have the room for muscle like the heavier weight classes. Should I be focusing more on lunges and squats? Or leg presses and calf presses? Do weights have a place in a leg workout for kickboxing? Or just plyometrics? Or does muscle = power at a loss of speed?

Just started a leg workout routine, what is best to focus on? I fight light, around 160, so I don't have the room for muscle like the heavier weight classes. Should I be focusing more on lunges and squats? Or leg presses and calf presses? Do weights have a place in a leg workout for kickboxing? Or just plyometrics? Or does muscle = power at a loss of speed?

"does muscle = power at a loss of speed?"
NO....NO....NO....NO!!!!!! REPEAT!

strength=gain of speed
hypertrophy=loss of speed

You have to decide whether you do strength training or bodybuilding. Max force and speed are strongly connected, olympic weightlifters often own top sprinters over 30 meters.

Ok, so weights are fine, just low at high reps?

do exercise to make You'r legs strong but also strech after every exercise , that gona make Your legs stronger and faster :)

High weight, focus on being explosive when you lift. Same with sprints, your trying to work your fast twitch muscles so you can be more explosive.

kinda off topic. But if you just pick up soccer as a hobby then you will develop strong and fast legs after a while

just remember what you are training for

STRENGTH and EXPLOSIVENESS, so go hard on low reps with HIGH weight.

the opposite would be high reps with low weight, which is pure endurance.

anywhere in between those extremes would be in the realm of bodybuilding, meaning yes, you will get slower if you train for muscle size over strength.

If you run 5 miles per day, that should give you all the leg strength and speed you need.

If you run 5 miles per day, that should give you all the leg strength and speed you need.

This little gem of wisdom explains why the little kenyans have the world's highest squat to BW ratio.

If I were a mod there would be a pile of steaming entrails in this thread to serve as a warning to other idiots who are eager to share their idiocy.

Note to ignorant fucks:
If you don't know what you're talking about, keep your retarded opinions to yourself.

I agree with the TS. All of this added strength I've gotten has made me terribly slow. Oh how I yearn for the days when I was but a mere weakling, albeit a quick one.

Putting aside strength, I am not even sure that running 5 miles a day will necessarily make you faster

You just have to alternate running on your toes every other day so as not to work the same muscles everyday. Calves are essential to functional speed.

Seriously, you can get as fast as you want from lifting or running 5 miles everyday, but that doesn't mean that you'll be functionally fast. Functional speed trumps all.

The football thing is kinda true. But you said "if you play it as a hobby" which is not true. I have alot of friends who play to a high level and have been training and playing since the ages of 7-8 and while theyre not going to break the Squatting world record, their legs are muscular and they have alot of power. Ive always been interested to see how much some of my friends could Squat (in relation to bodyweight) in their first session, probably alot more than I or most average people did.

This little gem of wisdom explains why the little kenyans have the world's highest squat to BW ratio.

If I were a mod there would be a pile of steaming entrails in this thread to serve as a warning to other idiots who are eager to share their idiocy.

Note to ignorant fucks:
If you don't know what you're talking about, keep your retarded opinions to yourself.

I think you're sarcasm meter is broken.

Note to ignorant fucks:

I have Barut and Keith Wassung in a twitter with a comment about running 5 miles per day giving you all the leg strength and speed you need.

troll=ban
ban.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back