legs in half-guard bottom

akqjt

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
I have a question about trapping an opponent in half-guard on the bottom. Specifically which one of your (as the bottom guy) legs is bent under the other. For example suppose I am trapping the other guy's right leg. My natural inclination is for my right leg to bend and put my right foot in the crook of my left knee. However yesterday I had an instructor tell me that this is wrong; my outside leg should be bent with <i>its</i> foot under the crook of my inside leg.

Further adding to my confusion is that I have spent the last hour looking up photos of the half-guard online and I have seen people doing it both ways. Is this maybe a situational thing or is there a correct way to pull half-guard with respect to the legs? Thanks.

You'll find it done both ways, and it doesn't always matter. But once you start getting more involved in half guard sweeps you'll find that having the outside leg hooking over their leg first (with the inside leg hooked over this) is better for trapping their leg and taking away their base as you escape to the side. It also makes getting the lockdown easier.

It really depends on what you are doing. I just try to work to full guard, so it is easier for me to keep my inside leg bent, so I can get my knee out and work to guard.

Back