Legs Day

leg day 2x a week is....in following order

hack squat 4x12 or high bar squat 3x8(heavy)
-superset with calf raises 3x10 inbetween squats
deadlifts 3 or 4 set x 7-8
bulgarian split squats 3x10 per leg
-drop set with goblet squats 3x5 inbetween bulgarian splits
leg extension machine 3x10
ham string curl machine 3x10
hip abductor machine 3x12
hip adductor machine 3x12

Last edited:
I'm a physical therapist assistant. I pretty much exclusively work in skilled nursing facilities where I'm dealing with old people trying to get strong enough to go home or transition to a different level of care.....since my patients are rather impaired and don't have to perform at a high level my detailed knowledge of kinesiology has drifted somewhat since I graduated. They aren't worried about spraining an ACL, they're more concerned with getting in and out of bed on their own.
Thought as much, sounded like a physio. Canadian or Australian by any chance?

Yeah I've worked with a lot of geriatric patients while interning at hospitals too. Post-op, cancer or otherwise. Written a paper on non-weightbearing training for knee OA as a initial alternative to patients with high weightbearing NRS scores. It's a very fulfilling job, but also very challenging. A lot harder to work with the elderly than young athletes. Between the co-morbidities, reduced function and pain you really have to know your regressions. I have a lot of respect for the people working in nursing facilities or hospitals. There's also the emotional dimension which can be tough.

Right now my main focus is neurology. I'm writing my bachelors in brain trauma and concussions. Doing case studies at center for brain health here in the capital where I live. My group is pretty much in charge of the whole thing. It's way too much work for me to want to do this again soon lol, although I had thought about going into more research projects when I'm done.

I'm a physiotherapist btw.

Anyway, your posts are always good, so just wanted to see if I had the right idea.

Thought as much, sounded like a physio. Canadian or Australian by any chance?

Yeah I've worked with a lot of geriatric patients while interning at hospitals too. Post-op, cancer or otherwise. Written a paper on non-weightbearing training for knee OA as a initial alternative to patients with high weightbearing NRS scores. It's a very fulfilling job, but also very challenging. A lot harder to work with the elderly than young athletes. Between the co-morbidities, reduced function and pain you really have to know your regressions. I have a lot of respect for the people working in nursing facilities or hospitals. There's also the emotional dimension which can be tough.

Right now my main focus is neurology. I'm writing my bachelors in brain trauma and concussions. Doing case studies at center for brain health here in the capital where I live. My group is pretty much in charge of the whole thing. It's way too much work for me to want to do this again soon lol, although I had thought about going into more research projects when I'm done.

I'm a physiotherapist btw.

Anyway, your posts are always good, so just wanted to see if I had the right idea.

No sir, I'm from the US. Geriatrics can be pretty difficult and it certainly isn't for everyone. I thought I would hate it when I had to do clinical rotations during school but I really fell in love with the population and setting so I pursued it after graduating and haven't looked back. Families members of our patients can be just as hard to deal with as the patient themselves.....I couldn't imagine dealing with shit head parents if I worked in pediatrics. I'd lose my mind.

I got kinda disillusioned with outpatient clinics since people treated it like a day spa. They'd come in let us do all the e-stim, massage, and other modalities in order to feel good and then when it came time for intense manual therapy or therapeutic exercise they'd make up an excuse to leave. Neuro is such a dynamic and changing specialty. I see a lot of strokes, some spinal cord injuries and TBI's, so any new information or interventions developed are surely welcomed. Research can be a frustrating and time consuming thing to conduct, so I thank you for your hard work and dedication.

Just had legs day
- Good run
- 4x12 squats on bosu + weight
- 4x10 stand-ups on the box + weight (each leg)
- 4x12 extension machine
- 3x10 curl machine
- 3x10 I don't know the name of a machine but it's for inside leg I do it quick with lowe weight, increasing by bit after each rep with no rests.
- 3x10 Exactly same as above but for ass.
- 4x15 Calf machine increasing weight.
- 15-20min good whole body stretch with dominant leg stretches.

Just had legs day
- Good run
- 4x12 squats on bosu + weight
- 4x10 stand-ups on the box + weight (each leg)
- 4x12 extension machine
- 3x10 curl machine
- 3x10 I don't know the name of a machine but it's for inside leg I do it quick with lowe weight, increasing by bit after each rep with no rests.
- 3x10 Exactly same as above but for ass.
- 4x15 Calf machine increasing weight.
- 15-20min good whole body stretch with dominant leg stretches.

no offense but you need to reconsider this program.

lol why? this is not a program.

You may want to follow a lifting program that has been proven to work. That would probably help.

Bosu squats are at this point a meme--they aren't an effective exercise. Try a regular barbell squat. Running before you lift is, eh, I guess you can, but it will make your lifting less effective. The rest of your exercises are mostly done on machines, which are fine supplements to a solid program that involves mostly free weights and bodyweight for more natural movement. They shouldn't be the bulk of what you do in the gym.

Unless what you are doing is PT for an injury, in which case your stated routine kind of makes sense, maybe.

You have luck with hamstring curls? I like them for size but honestly when I first started learning to dead lift I found out that they werent particularly helpful

I just used them for extra hamstring volume/hypertrophy, activation, and general knee health.

I'd usually do 2-3 sets of 12-15 reps leg extensions and hamstring curls after squat/deadlift workouts.

Last edited:
I just used them for extra hamstring volume/hypertrophy, activation, and general knee health.

I'd usually do 2-3 sets of 12-15 reps leg extensions and hamstring curls after squat/deadlift workouts.
noted. i tried to do leg extensions as an additive for quads but my knees hated it

I do them super light and single-legged. I only use weight I can move by flexing my quad.
hmm. ok. i've read about single leg work but it always sucked so much i just don't do it, except lunges for jiu jitsu (but that's body-weight)

hmm. ok. i've read about single leg work but it always sucked so much i just don't do it, except lunges for jiu jitsu (but that's body-weight)

You're not doing leg extensions for max weight or super heavy sets of 5. If you have healthy knees, doing leg extensions properly shouldn't bother them.

You're not doing leg extensions for max weight or super heavy sets of 5. If you have healthy knees, doing leg extensions properly shouldn't bother them.
I’ve had the right one come out of socket and stay out. Never been the same since but i was like 13 when that happened. Weird thing is it changed my jumping leg to my right leg and it never went back after. Had dozens of sprains since then. It’s not worst or best. Guess I can change these up. Usually do 8-12 reps at moderate weight

Last edited:
You may want to follow a lifting program that has been proven to work. That would probably help.

Bosu squats are at this point a meme--they aren't an effective exercise. Try a regular barbell squat. Running before you lift is, eh, I guess you can, but it will make your lifting less effective. The rest of your exercises are mostly done on machines, which are fine supplements to a solid program that involves mostly free weights and bodyweight for more natural movement. They shouldn't be the bulk of what you do in the gym.

Unless what you are doing is PT for an injury, in which case your stated routine kind of makes sense, maybe.

I'm back to it after month break it was first leg day in a while.
About running before exercising you must be kidding right?
I had private trainer for many years and all of them recommended or made me do squats with weight on bosu it's also for core if you have a core bag and good for boxing coordination, and as I said before this is not my permanent routine. I'm neither powerlifter neither bodybuilder.

Squat Day:

1- Squat (5x5)
2- Pause Squat (4sec pause at bottom) 4x4
3-Front Squat (8x3)
4-Leg Press (8x3)

I've always thought that leg extension were bad for the knees in the long run b/c they create a muscle imbalance and strengthens certain ligs-not others-- but leg curls were okay. I've read to do leg curls before leg extensions also. I don't know what the latest research is on that. Could easily be bro science. I don't see how it can I still do leg extensions once in a blue moon if I think that my leg workout was not intense enough.

Last edited:
Hip Thrusters 5x5 3xweek
Squat 5x5 2xweek
Deadlift 5x5 3xweek

Btw my squats and deadlifts got so much easier when I started doing hip thrusts. (This is the one exercise I regret never doing sooner) It also elevated allot of my back pain. (I have five bulged discs in my back from a car accident)

All my lifts are over 300. Injuries are overcomeable with time, patience, and dedication.

I've always thought that leg extension were bad for the knees in the long run b/c they create a muscle imbalance and strengthens certain ligs-not others-- but leg curls were okay. I've read to do leg curls before leg extensions also. I don't know what the latest research is on that. Could easily be bro science. I don't see how it can I still do leg extensions once in a blue moon if I think that my leg workout was not intense enough.

The idea is that the last 30 degrees of knee extension leaves little surface area between your petalla and femur on which to articulate. So when you concentrate a lot of force during a leg extension on that small of an area it's possible to prematurely erode that articular cartilage on your patella or femur. However, there is conflicting evidence and I have heard mixed opinions from my co workers over the years regarding leg extensions. If your body can handle them, great. If not, chill.

Back