Lego Build/Collection Discussion

Discussion in 'Mayberry Lounge' started by adapt, May 20, 2014.

1. adapt

adapt Just the Tip

I searched and saw there were a couple general Lego threads and the Christy Mack debacle, but no threads about personal collections or builds. Seems like there may be some solid Lego heads in the Mayberry.

Is anyone collecting Lego in these parts? I just recently got back into them after being a huge fan as a kid and I've found that I missed out on some pretty cool sets that have now been discontinued. Mostly, the Lego Star Wars theme has some sets that were expensive when released but now have skyrocketed in price. My wife bought me R2D2 for Christmas
    pics here

and I just recently completed the Imperial Shuttle from Return of the Jedi
    pics here

both of which are pretty sweet display pieces, but I have trouble getting excited over small sets because these are the Ultimate Collector Series and super complex (but damn they are expensive!). I'm going to pick up a Lord of the Rings set from a guy on Craigslist that hasn't been discontinued yet, but its new in box and he's selling it for $10 off retail, so its a steal. Not sure I want to open it and assemble it though, because it may climb significantly in value once its discontinued.

Anyone else got some sets they want to show off or discuss what got you into Lego or anything related to steals and deals or holding on to sets for the value? Lets hear it

2. thebluerider

thebluerider caelgender ftw

interested in the Christy Mack debacle

3. gabe1k

gabe1k Brown Belt

Not a fan of the Lego-ization of franchises. That being said, I did go get every one of the Simpsons mini-figs.

4. Sasquatch Smith

Sasquatch Smith Red Belt

I don't play with toys, but I do have 3 close friends who work at Lego. The U.S. headquarters is here in Connecticut, and they're always getting dirt cheap "defective" rare stuff I guess.

5. Francis Rossi

Francis Rossi Here's a song for ya

6. Gamer2k4

Gamer2k4 Brown Belt

I spent the last summer organizing and rebuilding all of the Lego sets I had as a kid - no small task, as literally 90% of them were completely in pieces, mashed together in one big bin. I bought the pieces to replace missing ones, and here's what it turns out I have:
    http://brickset.com/sets/ownedby-Gamer_2k4

The only ones I've bought since then are 8865 and 8880. I'd love more of the classic sets, but unfortunately, money's tight right now.

7. Kanster

Kanster Guest

Christy Mack is not doing that competition no more bro.

8. EasternWind

EasternWind Blue Belt

I have a lot of the starwars ships. X-wing, a-wing, y-wing(gold leader),tie fighter, a few old republic ships. I want the collector B-wing, but 300 bucks for a lego set is $$$
    I want to get a few others

9. Francis Rossi

Francis Rossi Here's a song for ya

Didn't Lego refuse to honour it or something?

10. Breakage

Breakage Purple Belt

I'd love to get the Millenium Falcon set but I can't bring myself to spend that much on it.

11. Cheese

Cheese Banned Banned

Slickdeals is Always showcasing Lego sets all sale.

12. Kanster

Kanster Guest

Yup, because angry mothers were calling them non stop.

13. The Clinch

The Clinch Middle-Earth with Glee-Glop and the Floopty-Doos. Platinum Member

Have a few of the mini-figure series figures.

Last one I went out for was the Sasquatch with a popsicle because it reminded me of Umaro from Final Fantasy 6.

Would like the series 1 zombie but I ain't paying what eBay folks want.

14. JBSchroeds

JBSchroeds The Lizard Knight

That's an awesome idea. I still have all my bricks and instruction manuals, but I don't think I'd have the space to store all of them if I tried to re-assemble everything.

My coolest lego story would be that one of my builds was featured in the very first issue of Lego Mania Magazine. I was a minor celebrity in my third grade class for about a month because of it.

15. adapt

adapt Just the Tip

Holy shit man that's a ton. I had a couple Classic Space sets and a bunch of random blocks as a kid. I want to get more Star Wars sets but even with the constant raising values its hard to justify spending that kind of money.

Also, yes everyone, I know the Christy Mack thing didn't happen. That's why I referred to it as a "debacle". Get a clue.

16. Matt4786

Matt4786 Gold Belt

I hadn't played with Legos in years and then built a castle with some friends last month. Man....they really streamlined the instruction manual and assembly/disassembly. Good stuff.

17. Matt4786

Matt4786 Gold Belt

Whatever they paid that guy, it wasn't enough. Brutal

18. highkicknomore

highkicknomore Red Belt

Legos are expensive so I try to get them when they're on sale/clearance.

Got the original Batcave and Batmobile/Two Face sets for a total of $35 or so at Target. I built the sets and now they're in the garage. Last I looked on eBay, Batcave is about $300 and Batmobile is $80.

Legos were always on clearance all the time but now they're collector's items so the discount isn't as big.

19. JBSchroeds

JBSchroeds The Lizard Knight

I decided to make an account on that brickset site and entered my sets (mom used to keep a spreadsheet back when I was a kid so it was easy to put it all in): http://brickset.com/sets/ownedby-JBSchroeds

I haven't payed attention to new sets in quite a while and was amazed to see how different some of the updated sets are. More specifically, the evolution of some of the Star Wars sets is amazing. I have the first wave SW sets from back in 1999, but the newer versions all look way better then those originals. For example:
    X-Wing '99 vs X-Wing '12
    Y-Wing '99 vs Y-Wing '12
    Mos Espa Podrace '99 vs Anakin Skywalker and Sebulba's Podracers '11

Lastly, I decided to treat myself to a set for the first time in a decade. I decided to get this cool car model:
    [​IMG]
    I haven't gotten it in yet, but it should be fun.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2014
  20. iThrillhouse

iThrillhouse Silver Belt

trying to do that myself hahaha, any excuse to go into the mall affords me the ability to get one or two at a time!

LEGO is my jam, my friends get me small sets for birthdays/christmas because this shit is expensive as hell nowadays, but the sets do look way better

that comparison of the '99 and '12 xwing blew my mind, I got shafted growing up cause shit looks way better nowadays!