Leglocks - why so neglected?

Any1 here agrees that archilles lock seems 2 b a low percentage move? I hav met sum pple who seems immune to it

thecas said:
Any1 here agrees that archilles lock seems 2 b a low percentage move? I hav met sum pple who seems immune to it
if it's not working for you it's because you're too far down on their leg. get the top of their foot near their toes under your armpit and the blade of your forearm in their achillies tendon and go from there.

they might be immune but the ligaments in their foot that will break if propperly applied and taken to the max will not be immune. im not saying injure someone to prove the point, but you can cause pain to make them tap with this if you do it correctly.

the reason leg locks aren't so common is for one of many reasons. as above, that is the only leg lock you can apply pain without injuring the opponent. heel hook doesn't hurt until it pops. kneebar doesnt hurt if you're flexible and stretch your hamstrings well until someone's tearing your knee up.

i like them but i apply them so gently when sparring no one wants to tap so i end up giving up the hold and working back for the positioning i just gave up.

btw, the indian deathlock is much to underrated. i was in the half guard and tied up a purple's feet with my foot while i was fainting a keylock on his wrist. he didn't tap bit his feet where tied and in pain untilt he bell rang. woot!

In my gymn they do use it, I've never seen anyone teaching it, but I've seen it done, on me, lol.
I train in RI-New Port but I live in Mass, where do u train?

you do train leglocks in BJJ, just later after you have develop a good guard pass (base).

I personally enjoy going for leg locks a lot too after spending a lot of time studying them.

The problem with leglocks (I train no gi mma) is that if you don't have very good technique you will lose your position and you leave yourself open to being punched. However, against someone who dominates you in position you can really mess up their gameplan by attacking the legs. The reason they are effective is so few people train them well.

At my school, we have a rule: If you hurt somebody, you may not come back to class until they do.

This really makes you think before locking something up. You're always asking, "too tight?" I mean, you don't want to hurt anybody -- these are your friends -- but you also don't want to be unable to train until somebody gets healed.

All of that being said, leglocks were the #1 thing that caused injuries at our school. It's very easy to hurt a leg -- the miniscus, for example, is a muscle smaller than your little toe, yet you can't bend your knee if it's torn. It's easy to wreck a leg.

So, now, you don't get to leglock until 6 months. I know it sounds wrong-headed, but it reduced the rate of guys getting hurt by a LOT.

Charlie Brown, interesting rule, tickles my brain a bit, not sure how I would feel about it...

Seems like a silly rule, especially if the person is new. You can't help if someone is not very durable.

Leglocks are cool but dudes with a lot of experience aren't going to fall for that shit. At my school this one kid is amazing at leg locks and he would definitely get me a lot. But I'm getting good at blocking them now.

And be CAREFUL with those heel hooks. My instructor has no ankles cause of dudes doing heel hooks. IN my class if you can secure the heel hook then its over. We don't put any pressure down so we can save peoples ankles.

Well I go for Knee bars or ankle locks once in awhile but I feel that they are too dangerous in training because they have to be aplied fast for someone to tap. I dont like to hurt or try to hurt the people I train with as I will need to train with them the following day

anthony27 said:
To the thread starter,
It's not cool to do leglocks for subbing people while sparring in practice, especially becuase you're relatively new to bjj. Ususally noone is going to tell you this because you potentially wouldn't understand. They may just stop rolling with you because it's not worth getting your knee torn. Yeah it could be that they are scared of you because a heelhook in the hands of a whitebelt (w/wrestling skill) who's trying to prove something is a dangerous thing.

If you're going to do leglocks make sure you ask the guy you're about to roll with what the ground rules are about leglocks. This way if they agree then you both know what you're potentiallly going for and would better be prepared to deal with it as in a real match. Still though don't crank that shit. Just get them in the position to where you know you have them beat and then you can let them go.

Oh man, BJJ is becoming so watered down because people don't go for leglocks anymore. Hell, I think I am getting worse because I haven't been working leglocks anymore ...

Oh man, BJJ is becoming so watered down because people don't go for leglocks anymore. Hell, I think I am getting worse because I haven't been working leglocks anymore ...

didn't you know that leglocks were frowned upon in bjj untill recently to the point where you will get booded in brazil if you went for leglocks? BJJ has always frowned upon leglocks because BJJ is about positioning first then submissions. IF anything BJJ is starting to embrace leglocks. But if you are a BJJ practioner you should develop a guardpass game first before working on leglocks.

For me, I feel like leg locks make the game a little to easy. I can tap all of my training partners out with them, so I only really use them if I am getting my ass kicked and I HAVE to win. But training doesn't really count for much so I don't care as much and try to expand my game. During tournaments though, I would have no qualms about heel hooking the crap out of my opponent.

I agree. For me, I use leglocks if I can't do other things to win... they surprise my opponents. If someone has my back and I want to try something fun, I'll hook their leg with both of my legs and do a kneebar.

anthony27 said:
To the thread starter,
It's not cool to do leglocks for subbing people while sparring in practice, especially becuase you're relatively new to bjj. Ususally noone is going to tell you this because you potentially wouldn't understand. They may just stop rolling with you because it's not worth getting your knee torn. Yeah it could be that they are scared of you because a heelhook in the hands of a whitebelt (w/wrestling skill) who's trying to prove something is a dangerous thing.

If you're going to do leglocks make sure you ask the guy you're about to roll with what the ground rules are about leglocks. This way if they agree then you both know what you're potentiallly going for and would better be prepared to deal with it as in a real match. Still though don't crank that shit. Just get them in the position to where you know you have them beat and then you can let them go.

Don't worry, I'm not an idiot. I may have been doing BJJ for 6 months, but I read up on it a LOT before I started. And I'm constantly studying instructionals, and learning more.

Before I even stepped into my gym, I knew that you can't crank leg locks. I go light with them. Usually, I'll lock it on, and just hold that position, and see if the guy wants to tap at that point. Some guys don't really want to roll past that, so they tap if I have it locked on. Other guys will keep going, and I'll progressively apply pressure. If it's a totally new guy, and he just doesn't understand that you can't wait too long to tap to a leg lock, I'll just let go and go for something else.

So yeah. I'm not one of those heel hook heroes who likes to crank leg locks. I just think they're important to train.

Wylian said:
In my gymn they do use it, I've never seen anyone teaching it, but I've seen it done, on me, lol.
I train in RI-New Port but I live in Mass, where do u train?

The Boneyard in Taunton.

Fighter include Mark Raposo, Mike Littlefield (owner), Mike Varner, Bobby Dias, Dave Gilrein, Lance Everson, Sean Gannon.

I like leglocks. I train under Gokor's Grappling System so we do work alot of leg stuff. It does suck that alot of the tournys that I go to I cant do them b/c of BJJ rules. I have been training for less than a year so unless you fight in advanced you cant do leg locks or knee bars. Oh well, they definitally are dangerous but if you know what your doing and the guys your rolling with know what is going on then you really dont have much to worry about.

There are my thoughts

1. I did cach guys that were generally better than me with leg locks when i was a white belt. Guys i usually couldent get with anythign else.

2. That said I understand why most instructors dont want to emphazise leg locks for white belts. Im also nervous about rolling with new guy spazzing trying foot locks. heelhooks and toelholds...no way would i wana show them to a really new student and roll with them.

If you are a serious fighter or grappler, it is essential. But me personally, I have a lot of problems with my legs and have been hurt very badly before. I love to run and I don't want to mess that up again. Legt locks kept me out of running for many months before, and I felt nothing at the time even, and it only hurt the next day. But I am probably a special case, as none of my joints are very good and have always had problems with my knees and ankles even before I started grappling. So I tell people I roll BJJ with that I don't want any leg locks done on me except the stegith achilies and I will limit myself to the same against them. This is one thing I like about training judo now, there are no leg locks to worry me.

But for a healthy and competitive bjj guy, I agree with you. They are a powerful component of your arsenal and though dangerous if done wrong or not tapped to, should be practiced by expereinced guys who want to get better.

In my class, we practice leglocks and leglock defenses. So, I'm pretty good at defending a wide variety of leg lock attacks, but I'd personally never try one.

Back