Leglocks are inherently dangerous submissions, right?

I think he was cut because of the Drwal business, he wasnt cut back then because he looked like a serious contender. Now that he is just a one trick pony as well rounded as Bob Sapp, the UFC cant really justify that liability.

Personally I think it's just the three strike rule.

Two infarctions for holding a sub too long, one infarction for pissing hot.

This was the third strike. Same shit happened to Marquardt.

Heel hooks aren't teh d3adly forbidden 5-finger death punch of submissions; they're considered risky for 2 reasons:
[1] Because of how the cruciate ligaments are attached across the knee, the window before they feel like someone needs to tap and when they do permanent damage is rather small. By the time someone realizes they need to tap, if the other person is still torquing, accidents happen. This is exacerbated because some leg locks can target multiple joints and the one that hurts a little may not be the first one to give out.
[2] People practice applying heel hooks (and consequently, tapping to heel hooks) much less often than they do other submissions because many competitions outright ban them or only allow them at advanced levels. Even some of those 'advanced' competitors are beginners when it comes to leg locks, just because they've never competed with them before and have spent much less time drilling them than they've spent drilling chokes and arm locks.
Obviously [1] and [2] each make the other worse. Because they have a small margin of error, people are less likely to risk them in training and they're banned in many competitions. Because they're discouraged, people are heel-hooked less often and don't get a good sense of how soon they need to tap if they want to walk home. Because people don't know when to tap to them, they're even more likely to cause damage. Because of their propensity for injury, more divisions of more competitions ban them and more people avoid practicing them and don't get nearly as much experience in how to apply them and how it feels to be caught in one compared to armbars or keylocks.

TL;DR: Heel hooks are slightly more inherently dangerous than armbars, but if beginners were only allowed to use heel hooks in competition, drilled 50 heel hooks to the tapping point each leg before class, and were discouraged from practicing armbars until they were advanced, we'd probably think arm bars were more dangerous.

This pretty much sums up my opinion as well.

He let go in a second. How quickly is one supposed to let go? A second is too long; get out of the sport if a second is too long. Go knit or collect pokemon or something.

Get real. If you have a problem with submissions, get out of my sport. - E

Let us know if you still feel this way after some sociopath cranks a heel hook after YOU tap.

Let us know if you still feel this way after some sociopath cranks a heel hook after YOU tap.

Palhares is not a sociopath. He's just hyper focused and a bit slow to respond.

Back