Legit (but atypical) Robbery?: Reneau v. Evans-Smith

Octagnecologist

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
Seems to me that this had to be some sort of mix-up on the part of the judges. Did one or two of them score their points for the wrong fighter?

Rounds 2 and 3 were close, so this is NOT the typical cry of "robbery" when what really happened was a close fight that somewhat slightly should have or could have gone the other way.

In Round 1, Reneau knocked ES down and had her reeling before letting up. At the end of the round, Reneau locked in a tight chock and ES appeared to have been saved by the bell. This appears to have been the only round that could have been a 10-8 for either fighter.

So, how did one judge award the fight 30-27 for ES if Round 1 was dominant for Reneau?

More puzzling and troubling is, how did another judge award the fight 29-27 for ES?
That means this judge scored, either round 2 or 3, as a 10-8 for Evans-Smith.

I didn't see anything close to a dominant 10-8 round for ES. Certainly not one that compares to what Reneau managed in Round 1.

So it really begs the question as to whether a scoring mistake occurred. Crazier things have happened.
Unfortunately for Reneau, this was just a prelim fight with not much fanfare, so I don't know if anyone else noticed!

I think there was a scoring mistake, for certain. 30-27 or 29-27 AES is just inconceivable.

Because too many MMA judges are wildly incompetent and nothing is done to correct the situation.

The giving AES the first round is mind boggling. The only explanation is some kind of mix up.

AES put on a boring, wild, flailing, pillow fisted performance. Her strikes had nothing behind them.

1 or 2 judges gave Smith a round where she was outstruck, rocked, and nearly submitted. Truly mind boggling

I thought Reneau took it. I thought she lost the third round, narrowly won the second, and for sure won the first, but I'd have to watch it again to be sure.

The scorecards were way whack but 29 28 either way isn't really hard to fathom. First round was the old ladies, third was Evans. Really came down to the second round which was close and could've gone either way.

I thought Reneau took it. I thought she lost the third round, narrowly won the second, and for sure won the first, but I'd have to watch it again to be sure.
Yup .. just watched it and Fenway defrost won that first rd. The 2nd was close and could go either way, but to give Ashlee all 3 rds is just crazy.

Yup .. just watched it and Fenway defrost won that first rd. The 2nd was close and could go either way, but to give Ashlee all 3 rds is just crazy.

I would love to have a conversation with the judges that gave Ashlee the first round. It'd be nice if some reporter could get them to explain those scores publicly.

I would love to have a conversation with the judges that gave Ashlee the first round. It'd be nice if some reporter could get them to explain those scores publicly.

I think everyone would .. there should be some kind of accountability from the judges when a decision like that comes down that almost no one (media, fans) agrees with.

Back