Legit Boxing gyms in Austin

Discussion in 'Standup Technique' started by jrock89, Oct 25, 2010.

1. jrock89

jrock89 Orange Belt

Does anyone know if Lords Boxing Gym in Austin is legit? There is a boxer by the name of Richard Lord and I was just wondering if anyone had any insight on him before I go to the gym.

Welcome to the Center of Boxing in Austin

If anyone else knows any legit stand up gyms / boxing gyms in Austin,, drop a line!

2. Knock Out Ned

Knock Out Ned el mero mero

I've read mixed reviews about Lord's Boxing Gym. You should go down to the gym and check it out yourself and see if you like the atmosphere.
    IFA Academy near campus is a really good school to learn to box. The instructor Frank Benn is very knowledgeable and legit.

3. nip102

nip102 Purple Belt

oh its legit.heard kirkland is training there now

even got a documentry about it now
    In his latest documentary, Boxing Gym, Frederick Wiseman observes the denizens of Lord’s Gym in Austin, Texas. The place is owned by Richard Lord, a surprisingly gentle former boxer who, among other things, founded a women’s boxing team, and was a pioneer in the practice of inviting amateurs to work out alongside professional boxers. In the film, Lord explains to potential members that their $50 a month fee allows them to use the gym anytime, for as many hours as they like, in an atmosphere that is safe even for young children.

4. Coolcatsithe

Coolcatsithe White Belt

I'm not big on boxing, I'll be up front about that. I do know of a place in South Austin ran by Rudy Vasquez, who I beleive trained under Mike Delware (could be wrong), and I've only heard good things about his place. He's somewhere around Slaughter Ln. and has reasonable prices.

Soon in Round Rock there will be a boxing gym opening up ran by Xavier Cepeda, but I don't know much about that.

I've heard good things about Lords place as well.

If you are ever wanting to do Muay Thai, XFC Training Center up in Leander/Cedar Park has really good coaches as well.

Hope this helps. Don't be afraid to ask around, but if you're South I would start at Vasquez's place to try it out.