LEGIO PROELIUM -- LT'S GoDL and Overhead Team Log

I'll be using 5/3/1 to start. This is my 10th month on that program. In month 9, I hit both my deadlift and SOHP maxes during my 5/3/1 week, so barring any setback, I expect continued progress in both lifts. +60 in deadlift and +30 in SOHP would be ideal, but realistically I'd like to add 35 to my deadlift and 15 to my SOHP throughout the course of the competition.

You can check out my log here...

Becoming the Bull

I should have some recent videos of both deadlift and SOHP.

Chilli just made me think. You should hyperlink all our names in the OP to our workout logs for ease of following each others progress. The more we pull together as a team and follow each other's work the better we'll do. Let's be the team that just out classes the others with superior planning, strategy, and work ethic.

Hey guys, just checking in. Team looks awesome. I'm coming off some injuries that stopped me from doing big compound lifts for a year, so I'm hoping that muscle memory and good ol' noob gains will help me contribute to the team in a big way

The press(SOHP)
5x20kg
5x20kg
5x24kg
3x37kg
2x47kg
Fx54kg
Fx54kg
1x50kg

[YT]crxwWgN4kXA[/YT]

I tested today my 1rm SOHP. It is 50kg. On Sunday I will test my 1rm deadlift.

Legio, please empty your PMs.
Thanks.

Wednesday, JAN 2, 2013

Bench Day, Dynamic

Floor Press:
170#(60%TM) 8x3

2nd, 5th, 8th sets:

Incline DB:
3x15 55/ea, 60/eax2 --E

Band P/D:
Orange x100

Standing DB Press:
40#/ea(lol) 3x15 --E

Band Fly:
Minis, black 3x15

Sit Ups:
+25kg 3x20

--Still getting the feel for floor pressing. Setting up is weird. Felt slow, guess it looks okay.

--Last couple of reps in both the incline and standing DB stuff was somewhat taxing but over all pretty easy stuff.

--Really glad today was a bench day. Loooong day at work. Came in pretty zapped.

EDITED FIRST POST. Adding training log links here and there.

Last edited by a moderator:
As promised, a couple videos of me doing SOHP and DLs.

Any form tips would be welcome, as I miss lifts in both videos.

Miss my SOHP max as well - not a great start but I hope to improve.

Any ideas for a team av? If you guys shoot some ideas, I can throw something together.

Pretty much up for anything. Game of Deathlifts

Maybe some type of LEGIO PROELIUM house crest? They describe many of the house crests in the Game of Thrones book series with great detail and importance.

I am doing general S&C to improve my martial arts and have enjoyed the benefit of S&C training thus far.

I am currently on the 5/3/1 program. Would it make sense for the sake of overall S&C with the competition in mind to go towards PTTP type program?

Any ideas for a team av? If you guys shoot some ideas, I can throw something together.

32846939_zps92ef803f.jpg

that will do nicely as far as I am concerned!

have you always done your pressing Behind the neck by the way? never tried it

Haha cheers.

Yeah I've always done it that way for a couple of reasons:

1) I don't do it very often
2) When I raised the question of in front/ behind the neck presses, Arlecchino and someone else mentioned that they preferred it this way because the bar path is straighter. Although there may be some evidence for it putting extra strain on your shoulders:/
3) I watched this video and got inspired:

All of which aren't particularly good reasons to do it this way, so if people think I would benefit from pressing in front of the neck, please make your case.

Edit, found original thread:

The biggest difference is bar position.

(sorry, had to get that out of the way)

Some people will have no issue at all pressing from behind the neck, and using the wide grip is a snatch grip press. This was done in days of yore to strengthen the ability to receive/catch the bar in the snatch and stability on the rise out of the bottom.

Pressing behind the neck will be difficult if:
1. You are an idiot and have developed a rotator cuff imbalance due to endless benching and not enough pulling, or have an imbalance from some other issue.
2. You have short little t-rex arms.
3. You lack flexibility.

When Olympic lifting was the rule rather than the exception, nearly everybody pressed behind the neck, push-pressed, and jerked from behind the neck as well (I still do this last one, as I currently have rack issues that bother one shoulder, and BTN jerks are far less painful). One of the reasons this was possible was because all three competitive lifts featured a pulling component, all three lifts heavily worked the upper back and the snatch (and assistance movements such as the power snatch) strengthened the external rotators (so much so that the Cuban press, used in rehab, is an adaptation from Olympic lifting).

The biggest advantage of pressing BTN IMO, is that it is easier to press in a straight line with less chance of cheating. This is why most people press less from that position. Like all other exercise, bad technique here can cause problems as well (like if you are a dumb ass and try to lower the bar to the middle of your scapulae or something equally stupid).

Last edited:
top vid! I wasnt making a case either way, ive just never tried behind the neck ever!

Thanks for posting that Keliza. I do agree that front OHP seems to have a different path.

Here is a video that I took 5 months ago. It's 110# I think according to my log at the time.

Just checking in. Did some pressing today. First week of 5/3/1. Had some pain in my right shoulder and stopped my final set at 165 lbs. after 1 rep. Kind of an odd pain, almost in my trap. That's what happens when your Gandalf old. I'll ice it and go HAM on some deathlifts Saturday.

Did max effort lower today, rack pulls. Speed bench too, but that isn't as applicable. My whole workout was as follows:

bench
45x10,10
135x3,3
145x3,3,3,3,3,3,3,3 (speed)

rack pull, mid shin, 4-5 inches below knee

135x8,5
185x5
225x5
275x3
295x1
315x1
335x1