Media Legend Pedro Rizzo vouches for Raoni Barcelos, says he's a top 5 BW right now

Nobody else saw it either bud
<DCrying>
You good.

Been keeping an eye on Barcelos?
<RomeroSalute>
I was gonna make a thread the day the Sherdog article came out after doing a search and not seeing one, but I was too distracted with the election.

I've watched his last 4 fights, and he's really impressed me in all of them, I really like his style.. Wish there was more to see of him.
Surprised you don't hear his name more often.

I did find this fight though :D.. He reminds me a bit of like a Yoel Aldo hybrid.

From Sherdog

“Taha is a very good kickboxer and has a strong overhand. I think he will try to avoid takedowns and try to knock out Raoni. Both are very explosive fighters, so it's going to be an interesting fight,” Rizzo said. “But I see Raoni with more tools to win [than his opponent]. Raoni today is a complete fighter. He was already a wrestling and jiu-jitsu champion and since 2008 he has been training kickboxing with me. Besides that he is always in great shape. Actually, if the fight was against the champion Petr Yan, Raoni would be ready

“I already worked with many great UFC fighters and I have no doubt to point to Raoni as the most intelligent and complete fighter I have ever worked with,”Rizzo said. “Unfortunately the UFC is having a hard time to find opponents for him. In this camp, for example, we had three changes in opponent. I truly hope that if he gets a fifth straight win, they will give him a ranked guy next.”

“Nurmagomedov is a monster. He was 14 -1 when he faced Raoni. I have no doubt he would be a nightmare to any Top 5 fighters of the bantamweight division,” Rizzo said. “That's why I truly believe Raoni today would be able to beat any of the Top 5 ranked in that division. But, of course, a fight is a fight and anything can happen.”

-
Rizzo states Barcelos is ready for Yan today

-Says Barcelos is the most intelligent and complete fighter he has worked with (coming from a man who's worked with Glover Teixeira).

-Bases his opinion on what he's seen in the training room and Rizzo's high opinion of of Said Nurmagomedov, whom Barcelos defeated by UD. Rizzo believes Nurmagomedov gives the top 5 fits and Barcelos handled him with relative ease.

I tend to agree based on his skill set (just watch this guy fight) and the fact that he has a hard time getting matched up.

If you're wondering:

<FookIsThatGuy>

TornRemorsefulHornedtoad-size_restricted.gif

FalseOptimalJackrabbit-size_restricted.gif

Barcelos returns against Khalid Taha after a fight with Cody Stamman fell apart in March due to COVID.

I personally want to see him fight Rivera or Assuncao, which is probably a stretch due to his lack of ranked wins, but it's not the dudes fault. Kind of in a Leo Santos situation, the man is 33 and isn't getting any younger. Age matters more the lighter you are in weight.

Seems like a dark horse in the division -- thank you for posting TS. It's nice to hear commentary from Rizzo about one of his students. I look forward to following Barcelos to see how this all pans out.

<RomeroSalute>
I was gonna make a thread the day the Sherdog article came out after doing a search and not seeing one, but I was too distracted with the election.

I've watched his last 4 fights, and he's really impressed me in all of them, I really like his style.. Wish there was more to see of him.
Surprised you don't hear his name more often.

I did find this fight though :D.. He reminds me a bit of like a Yoel Aldo hybrid.

I feel you bro, the charades have been keeping me distracted too.

Yeah man I think he's really fluid in his transitions between grappling and striking, something still sorely missing/is at a minimal in high level MMA.

It's ridiculous the level of obscurity he's facing. The dudes a former LFA champ and like you, that's all the tape I could find on him besides the two minute highlight in my OP. Dude is super skilled and athletic, I don't understand how guys like him can stay below the radar while guys like Amirkhani and and Artrm Lobov get (however brief) cult followings.

I didn't know he was under Pedro Rizzo until ai saw that interview, explains why he's on track. I'd like to see him work with a straight boxing coach. His hands are decent even though he's a straight MT guy, only because he has good timing, accuracy, and speed. I think all of that god given talent would be better used working behind a jab, and cutting the cage.

What a great fight
Don't think Rizzo was just hyping up his guy, what a monster. Great everywhere, even cardio, fucking Merab would be huffing and puffing with that pace too.

Don't think Rizzo was just hyping up his guy, what a monster. Great everywhere, even cardio, fucking Merab would be huffing and puffing with that pace too.
Great call, brother.

Guy's a serial killer

Back