Leg press Q

Skyline21

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Say i can leg press 500 lbs, how much should i be able to squat/deadlift? I have only been doing leg press recently (last 3 months) so i'm wondering where i should be with the others.

500 lbs leg press.....thats at least 600 squat.

wow u squat 600 lbs. nice work man. almsot as much as i bench

vjekoboban said:
500 lbs leg press.....thats at least 600 squat.

wow u squat 600 lbs. nice work man. almsot as much as i bench

Wow i wish i was as cool as u. Last time big steroid freaks came down to my BJJ and boxing classes they got tooled by EVERYONE little and big.

Skyline21 said:
Wow i wish i was as cool as u. Last time big steroid freaks came down to my BJJ and boxing classes they got tooled by EVERYONE little and big.
Dude, why don't you simply test your DL and squat max? That's the only way you'll know. You cannot possibly, ever, calculate your DL/squat from a leg press machine. There are several reasons:

- Every machine is different
- Most machines don't make any use of your back, which is a huge factor in both squat and DL
- Most machines use a form and ROM which is not even remotely similar to the movement of squat/DL
- Most machines completely ignore the stabiliser muscles, whereas balance and form are really important for squat/DL
- Most machines don't require you to move your own bodyweight
- Grip is not an issue

The only thing that's certain is that you won't squat/DL anywhere near 500lbs.

Leg press machines scare me.

Fedorable said:
Leg press machines scare me.

i cant use them, because everytime i even think of them, i think of ronnie coleman, yelling and grunting in that voice of his and i start laughing.

rEmY said:
i cant use them, because everytime i even think of them, i think of ronnie coleman, yelling and grunting in that voice of his and i start laughing.

i thought of that video a couple days ago when i was doing decline press and chuckled and almost killed myself

rEmY said:

Man,
Ev'rbodi wanna be a bodybuilda' n don't nobody wanna lift no heavy ass weight.

Last time I leg pressed I let out a massive fart. The leg press machine induces more farting than squatting does, at least in my case so I switched to squatting!!

Leg Machines...a close second to curls on the squat rack as the favorite exercise for the frat boys at my school. They act sooooo fucking tough as they leg press about 400 pounds. I just want to go up to them and explain to them the following mathematical concept:

Skyline21 said:

he never said anything about steroids

It really depends. Most people can do more in the leg press than squat.

As stated above, there is no way to accurately calculate your squat max based on a leg press. Really, there is no way to calculate any free weight movement based on a machine movement.

Just to throw it out there:
- my 6 rep max on leg press is 810lbs (not including sled weight)
- my 6 rep max squat is 315lbs (granted I have only been squatting for three months and am still making form adjustments)

For me, comparing Leg press to squats is like apples to oranges. Leg press is gay anyway. Some jackoffs used to do it at this metro gym I used to go to. They never did squats, but when it came time for leg pres, they'd load that bitch up with plates, have some dude sit on top of it holding weights, and then the lifter proceeds to move his knees about 5 degrees and call that a rep. Fuck...that.

Back