Leg kicks as a lefty?

Coleman

White Belt
Reaction score
I've done MT off and on for a few years and I've always had a lot of trouble landing leg kicks in my southpaw stance. I'm left handed in everything I do and fighting is one of them.

I find that my front leg is almost useless because our lead legs are together and there just isn't much angle to throw leg kicks with my front leg. With my rear leg, the potential for a really big inside leg kick is there but it takes longer to throw that leg since its further back and often times my opponents just move there front leg back and avoid it. It is also very easy to turn your lead shin inwards and block that kick.

I've had really good success at throwing left middle kicks to the ribs. I can land them all the time. I am not flexible enough to kick to head height yet either but I'm working at it. For now I want to start adding more leg kicks because after throwing a few left mid kicks my opponent starts to realize that its pretty much all I throw with my legs and can start to defend.

Any suggestions?

inside leg kick or even kick his left kick with your right

Throw the inside leg kick in combination with your jab, change in level makes it much more difficult to see coming. I also like using jab, cross then left kick, with the kick following the punch so its all one spin with the shoulder leading the kick in. Bas talks about it a lot on the big dvds of combat and its a favourite of Aerts.

I find the front leg most useful as an opponent moves back out of range after an attack, I step to my left with my left leg and use the momentum to throw the roundhouse.

You could also look at developing your front kick.

Back