Leg Kicks Against a Taller Fighter

BringtheFatties

White Belt
Reaction score
I was curious if anyone has a decent technique for landing leg kicks against a taller figher. I am 5'7 barefoot and spar against guys 6'-6'4 most of the time....I thought that leg kicks could be used as a sort of jab to keep the space until I need to shoot, but everytime I throw one I get a right straight in the face. Is it possible to throw an effective leg kick and keep your gloves up? Should I just abandon the technique all together? Thanks for any help you can give...

Maybe you should get off the line of attack before you throw the kick. Take a step toward behind your opponent at an angle, and snap off a kick under his knee or over his knee. Maybe throwing kicks off your front foot too?

Jab and step aside, change your angle, and throw leg kick. Or fake one two and throw leg kick. Or left lead hook and throw leg kick.

A lot of this could have to do, as has been said, with where you're standing when you throw the kick. It can make it harder for your opponent if you move.

It is also viable to keep both hands up when throwing a kick. Generally, when you throw a kick with say you're right leg, you drop your right hand down. You can simply keep that hand up and out; some people don't like doing that because they feel it takes some of the momentum away but it does provide a lot of protection. Start doing that and you'll notice a big difference in your opponents ability throw punches to your head.

I have this problem as well when sparring with this guy in my class who is well over 6-6. Watch out for the straight kicks as well when comming in. I like to fake and come in then come at a angle when throwing low kicks and when i get him i usually finish of with a body shot or move out and circle.

Just dont stand in the center line, move when you kick, move your head, your body, whatever out of the center line. Look in a mirror with a line down it or a mirror that connects to another and stand between them and thats the center line.

angle out and kick the lowest part of the leg, that should give you more room than kickin the top part of the leg..

am 5 '7 too what I like to do is work the "middle kick" and low kick above the leg, inside and outside but don't stand in front easy to get cought with front kicks to the face. Kick and circle you always stay moving.

need to set your kicks up first working different angles and throwing punch combos if you just stand in front and kick you'll get picked off all day long

The best way to do it is stick and move- after you go for a hand combo, move away and as he chases you go for the leg kick.

Quick reference point, try watching Marco Ruas fight against Paul Varelans, some smart leg kicking against a much larger oppponent on display in that one.

You should be quicker than them, make them chase you and when you see them start to get a little frustrated kick with all you rmight!

Try to get your hips into the kick and turn your shoulders, that way your chin should have some cover. Depends how quick thir shot is if you're doing MMA sparring, that's the impression I got fom your post at least

It really should be move then stick. So many times I see people just go straight at eachother like rock-em-sock-em robots or something.

If he has a tradtional stance, circle to your right. You don't need to continue circling a lot, just enough where he has to adjust. When he is adjusting, strike.

I personally would stay in close then too. But thats just my opinion. I think if you move back out after the strike you will open yourself too much for a counter. Tall people are notoriously bad at in fighting most the time. But watch out for their knees.

BringtheFatties said:
I was curious if anyone has a decent technique for landing leg kicks against a taller figher. I am 5'7 barefoot and spar against guys 6'-6'4 most of the time....I thought that leg kicks could be used as a sort of jab to keep the space until I need to shoot, but everytime I throw one I get a right straight in the face. Is it possible to throw an effective leg kick and keep your gloves up? Should I just abandon the technique all together? Thanks for any help you can give...

If you're giving up that much height your gameplan in a real fight wouldn't involve an offensive striking strategy...I'm guessing.

Otherwise, angle out. It's pretty basic.

Madmick said:
If you're giving up that much height your gameplan in a real fight wouldn't involve an offensive striking strategy...I'm guessing.

Otherwise, angle out. It's pretty basic.

I would have thought the inverse.
If I'm shorter then someone I want to get in pretty damn close to limit their advantage, which comes from foot work and angle work.

I would agree, but that's how I work. If your opponent has a longer reach on you, go in close, it'll cut some of the momentum of his punches off. The only thing with this is of course going down with a throw or even knees in the clench. But this will benifit your leg kicks IMO.

But angling is also great, like everyone else said. We're tought(I'm going by MCMAP here) to move and strike, so basically I'm preaching what everyone else is saying.

I wouldn't abandon your game plan all together till you've tried every possible way to get around it. If it's your strong point, you need to keep that going.

All this stuff about angles is good, but I think the solution is simpler.

There are two type of kickboxers. Ones that lead with kicks and follow up with punches or ones that lead with punches and finish with kicks. As a shorter guy fighting taller guys, you need to be the latter. Work your way inside and the time to throw leg kicks are when he tries to move away to take advantage of his range. Best time to throw meaningful low kicks against a taller guy. Circling outside is great and all, but as a short guy against a competent taller guy, leading with kicks or trying to pick apart someone's leg from the outside isn't really worth it.

This post reminded me of Telligman doing everything he could think of and still not be able to nullify Sylvia's reach advantage. I agree that changing angles is the best way to strike and not get hit. At least not get hit flush with a punch.

Another thing you could try is teep kick (push kick just a bove the knee) don't do it hard though, can really damage the leg. You'll find if you teep occasionly on their front leg, they'll be a bit more hesitant bout planting a leg to punch. try feinting a roundhouse & teeping their lead leg instead as they go to counter. Your best chance though as the shorter fighter is get on the inside for some dirty boxing.

Back