Leg exercises that don't "bounce" the achilles tendon.

yocan

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
Ok its better, but still sore and anything real fast hurts.

I hate machines, but I hate isolated machines even more. I'm thinking controlled machine movements might unfortunately be in order right now...... was lifting yesterday and was doinng 10 single leg squats (holding up foot, touching kneed to ankle of foot on the ground) and it kinda tweaked. I basically rolled off it, started massaging it and put it up in the air for 2 minutes..... the bodybuilders were looking at me funny.

I think it tweaked it just a bit, so 2 times from now in the gym I"m going to try it again.

So far I've found these exercises that don't hurt
light powercleans (doing a crossfit style exercise IE 15 reps) wasn't going up on my toes at the top of the movement however.
sumo deadlift high pulls
plate loaded squat press (less than ideal, open to suggestions for improvement) did 495lbs . Did it 9 times I don't know if thats okish or if I'm going light due to my achilles, made my achilles a little tight, but no pain
Lunges are ok as long as they are light (more than 70 lbs makes me uncomfortable at the moment)

Just looking for intermediary exercises here, seeing as Ive never had to act the part of a bitch before. At the rate of my recovery I should be good in two weeks. Doc said I'm good now, apparently being stronger than most people is all it takes to be healthy, what a moron.

Oh I did start using shoes with heels, it does make the pain a whole lot less. Thanks for that piece of advice.

Hello there mate.

I'm not up to speed. How did you injure your achilles?

I'm in the same boat at the moment and it was through a kick which seemed to ping it.
2 weeks later and carrying on as normal has no exactly helped.

I don't know how your condition is and if this is a viable option, but, technically speaking, low-bar squats don't "bounce" the achilles tendon (as long as you make sure to keep the weight on your heels).

Hello there mate.

I'm not up to speed. How did you injure your achilles?

I'm in the same boat at the moment and it was through a kick which seemed to ping it.
2 weeks later and carrying on as normal has no exactly helped.
9 weeks in california so no real sprinting. back 9 days, on day 2 I played ultimate frisbee. On day 9 I played, and my speed picked up big time from day 2 (first time sprinting in 9 weeks) long story short for 90 minutes I gaurded one of the fastest members of the University of Michigans ultimate frisbee team, and did a good enough job containing him he never won a round. Got home and couldn't walk. 5 days off and did a stretch on a curb and did a single leg heel raise and felt it rip. Not all the way through just one fiber, and all around my heel hurts after I exercise implying not is all well. Now I'm getting better just a little sore, doc said after hearing what I can do now that I'm "healthy" I don't think he understands my idea of healthy is run uphill with my 240 and be faster than the Marines carrying 30lbs less stuff, which I can do normally. I'm not there yet.

I don't know how your condition is and if this is a viable option, but, technically speaking, low-bar squats don't "bounce" the achilles tendon (as long as you make sure to keep the weight on your heels).
I'll start at around 135 lbs and really gradually try it out. Now that I'm lifting with heels on my shoes it should make it bounce a lot less. Who knows first time I might get up to 225, don't think I'll gamble harder than that tomorrow afternoon. I assume low bar is more ideal due to keeping the weight more over the same point the entire time will move my ankle less and make me never have to push it "back" is that right? just realized I never do low bar squats, some pointers would be appreciated.

God I hate not running, diid my first legitimate run in a month last night, stomach was cramping for four hours.

Last edited:
Back