Left kick

shincheckin

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
Wanted everyone's opinion on the left kick. Obviously both have their place but...switch kick vs step left kick? I used to step kick a lot, now I almost always switch. I feel like I need to bring back my step and left kick.

Regarding throwing your lead leg kick.....left kick for orthodox.

Do you prefer to switch kick (jump switch stance kick)

Or do you prefer to step and kick ( step forward with right leg, then throw left kick)

I feel I have more power stepping into my kick but I usually switch kick, depends on range I guess

I used to think it was just there for bs, but recent years I've come to really integrate it more than my actual regular rear kick. There's alot I do with it, it has went from being a tool on the shelf to my main hammer, screwdriver, and power drill

I like stepping or throwing tma style.

I find doing it tma style is quick and helps countering right hands with liver kicks.

I got a few different favorite versions that I'm using depending who I'm facing.

I like to set it up with strikes, preferably with the jab. It's either with a step together with the jab or with a switch kick. When I do switch kicking I also mix it up with push kicks so my opponent don't know what kind of kick I'm gonna throw.

I like the no switch or step when countering with kicks, preferably against jab cross combos were I kick when the opponents loads up the cross. Sometimes a left kick against the calf with the intention to sweep and set up other strikes.

Also have my old favorite combinations against south paws. Kick the calf/sweep their lead right leg with my rear leg(right) to get them off-balanced, then follow up with a left lead kick straight to the liver.

I used to think it was just there for bs, but recent years I've come to really integrate it more than my actual regular rear kick. There's alot I do with it, it has went from being a tool on the shelf to my main hammer, screwdriver, and power drill

Left switch or step left kick

Both, but more of the switch. I've even done it off a pendulum step or stationary as a "feeler" off jabs while "playing" with bs

My old coach always wanted switch but I have heard other high level coaches say the opposite

My old coach always wanted switch but I have heard other high level coaches say the opposite
Switch for me is faster and I have more I can work with for setups. Step in is more for when I'm pursuing and get them backpedaling

Just remember boys and girls- aim high on the glove of your opponent to pin it to their body so the counter right hand is harder to throw

A switch kick is more speed than power. I use them only in mirror match-up.

I'm not a good kicker either, but here are my setup :

Switch kick alone.
Lead leg low kick (to the inside of the leg) + Switch kick (to the head)
Jab + Fake Jab + Switch kick
Fake Switch Kick (and stay in southpaw) + right hook + Left Roundhouse
Fake Switch Kick + Shoot into a Single/Double leg, i like to chain it with an Underhook Knee Tap.

I like to switch kick when my opponent is moving away from the power side. He is running into my left kick at the sime time, he is giving me instant outside lead foot position.
Or if he is moving forward straight to me, i like to step back with my rear foot then i switch kick to tag his right arm so he cannot setup the cross easily, or i go for the liver.

This is one of my favorite combo :

Lead leg Inside low kick + switch kick

Got those clips for you.

Look like the lead kick is used by the elites only in mirror match-up (orthodox vs orthodox & southpaw vs southpaw)

Nieky use it time to time to surprise his opponent.

Adesanya use it when his opponent slip on the outside of his jab.

Namsaknoi used it to counter a jab by taking an angle.

i guess my question wasnt clear. My old coach with 60 pro thai fights, taught me to switch kick after my Right cross. However you can see paul karpocowicz demonstrating here how he prefers the step and left kick after the R cross. showing how its more fluid and faster. I believe the switch is probably slower but a bit more powerful

@DoctorTaco @AndyMaBobs your thoughts?

Last edited:
Regarding throwing your lead leg kick.....left kick for orthodox.

Do you prefer to switch kick (jump switch stance kick)

Or do you prefer to step and kick ( step forward with right leg, then throw left kick)

I prefer to switch but I use the step in some situations too. Switch seems faster to me.

I also like stepping back with just my left foot and switching to southpaw at the same time. You can draw some people in and fire a left kick from the now rear power side as they're coming forward.

I like stepping or throwing tma style.

I find doing it tma style is quick and helps countering right hands with liver kicks.

Or just knocking people out...

I prefer to switch but I use the step in some situations too. Switch seems faster to me.

I also like stepping back with just my left foot and switching to southpaw at the same time. You can draw some people in and fire a left kick from the now rear power side as they're coming forward.

Or just knocking people out...

wow!

Does anyone have any tips or videos on throwing kicks with the lead leg?

When I try to switch my feet to place my right leg as the lead, it feels like my kick is coming too wide.

When I switch just to square up my hips, the kick feels like it's going toward the bag at too steep of an angle, the kick ends up not following through.

Back