Left Hook: Palm down or thumb up?

10000 Days

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
I've been boxing since 2007, and have been training in the same gym until 2012. Stopped training for 2 years because of work, but tried to come back since May of last year. I've been travelling around for the past year, and worked in different gyms.

For the first 5 years of training, I was taught to throw the left hook with my palms down. But for the past 15 months, half of the gyms told me to punch with my thumbs up, and half of them wanted me to stick to palms facing down on the left hook.

So is it better to throw the left hook with my palms down or thumbs up?

Both...It makes doubling it easier if you start with thumbs up for the first hook and the twist into the follow up..

It's all relative to the situation.. but I would say there is no reason to exclude options in how you throw a punch...if you can find a use for it, do it...

I think palms down is textbook. If nothing else, it discourages throwing the hook wide. But for people with rotator cuff problems (*raises hand), thumb up is an acceptable alternative.

Both...It makes doubling it easier if you start with thumbs up for the first hook and the twist into the follow up..

It's all relative to the situation.. but I would say there is no reason to exclude options in how you throw a punch...if you can find a use for it, do it...

Makes sense... I asked, because the gym where I "grew up" as a boxer for the first 5 years discouraged me from using the "thumbs up" approach because my trainer told me that you'll develop more power and distance when your palms are down. If I didn't train in another gym, I wouldn't think that thumbs up would be an option

I think palms down is textbook. If nothing else, it discourages throwing the hook wide. But for people with rotator cuff problems (*raises hand), thumb up is an acceptable alternative.

I thought I injured my left shoulder 3 years ago when that old man told me to practice my left hooks (palms down of course) on the heavy bag for a full round, just left hooks. I really felt more comfortable with my thumbs up, he just doesn't want me doing it.

He's 69 now, so I was thinking maybe that was their style during their heyday.

Last edited:

Wide is good sometimes, gives the opponent some incentive to send the right and open the chin.. just got to keep your right ready to catch theirs..

DLH threw a lot of thumbs up hooks with great success..I think varying how any punch is delivered is one of the best things you can learn to do..when people talk about Larry Holmes, for example..they say he has one of the greatest jabs ever.... and I think they are missing what makes his jab game so good..it's not any one jab..its his variety of jabs .. variety is good

Wide is good sometimes, gives the opponent some incentive to send the right and open the chin.. just got to keep your right ready to catch theirs..
What level of boxer do you think is reading this? Do you really want to give the average boxer the advice to throw their hooks wide and then beat them to a counter-right when they see an opening?

Unless this is a forum for Olympic boxing hopefuls, I'd recommend keeping your hooks tight.

Last edited:
I usually(90%) of the time throw mine thumbs up

You can dig into, and explode out of, a thumbs up hook to the body throwing it laterally and upwards into their ribs. I much prefer throwing body books thumbs up.

I personally prefer palms down when throwing a hook to the head because I find it easier to keep your weight down when throwing it, especially after slipping or rolling under a straight right or something

Last edited:
Makes sense... I asked, because the gym where I "grew up" as a boxer for the first 5 years discouraged me from using the "thumbs up" approach because my trainer told me that you'll develop more power and distance when your palms are down. If I didn't train in another gym, I wouldn't think that thumbs up would be an option

it all depends on whether you can throw a natural left hook or not

i am a lefty who fights orthodox, and it is totally unnatural for me to try and throw a left hook palm down. It's almost like i would have to completely alter the way my body is supposed to move to throw it that way

my shoulder actually feels really tight when i try and throw it palm down, like i am forcing it

U can use both imo... i throw mostly palm down tho...

I think the thumbs up stems from coaches not wanting you to break your hand or a couple knuckles... with the palm down, u are prone to catch the other fighter with the smaller knuckles(ring and pinky) that could break easier..

With the thumb up, u tend to catch the opponenent with the point and middle fingler knuckles.. those are bigger and stronger so there will be a more solid connection. They will also be less prone to injury..

I got taught to use both in the same combo. But discuss with your coach and get sinisters opinion.

Palms down, but I used to like throwing thums up in a combination if I had to reach a little or as a set up for a straight right

Palm down if you are in closer range, and thumbs up if you are throwing from the outside

Thanks all for answering my question. The only strange part is that my very first trainer never gave me the option to use the thumbs up hook, like it's a cardinal sin or something

I remember taking a kickboxing class at my college and the kickboxing coach always stressed the fact that when you throw a hook your palms should be facing down so you don't break you're wrist. But not sure if it is true or not just took his words of advice since he's been kickboxing for 35 years and was taught that too. I find it useful to use both the palm and thumb up theory depending on the situation you are in when sparring.

You can dig into, and explode out of, a thumbs up hook to the body throwing it laterally and upwards into their ribs. I much prefer throwing body books thumbs up.

I personally prefer palms down when throwing a hook to the head because I find it easier to keep your weight down when throwing it, especially after slipping or rolling under a straight right or something

Well said and described.

Please excuse my early departure.
I thought this was a how to fap thread.

I usually prefer thumbs up.

Here's thumbs up winning an exchange:

y2icd_medium.gif

I know there's more examples, so I'd like to see anyone else chime in with a gif. Couldn't think of any more off the top of my head though.

I do both. I don't know why but throwing thumb up to the body feels natural and palm down to the face feels natural

Back