Left handed Orthodox.... normal?

OscarTheMonster**

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
What's up fellas, was just wondering about this while waiting for the UFC Countdown show to air.

I'm left handed and i feel more comfortable jabbing with my left hand, is this normal?

Longtime wrestler here. I signed up at a local boxing gym yesterday, so i'm pretty new to the striking game. I know my left is my stronger/power hand, so technically i should be jabbing with my right. But man, i feel like my jabs with the right hand are so weak. When i switched back to orthodox, I could tell the guy i sparred with was feeling those left hand jabs for sure. Should i focus on being a southpaw and just work on my right hand jab? Or are left handed orthodox boxers pretty common?

I know I'm going to ask my coach this tomorrow, but I'm just wondering about this.

Thanks.

I'm also left handed orthodox.
Standing south paw feels crap, so I've stuck with what works best for me.
If it's working for you stick with it imo.

You see some pro boxers who have there power hand forward and the reason why is that you probably throw your jab 5x more than any other punch so why not make it your good hand. That being said your giving up your power shots to from your rear hand. I guess it depends what kind of style you have.

In boxing u must perfect your footwork and balance to throw a correct punch. If u use ur power hand as your jab. Then ur power punches will come from ur weak hand, making them not that powerful.ASK YOU COACH!

That's plenty normal. Lots of guys do that. My buddy is a boxer and basically called me an idiot for not doing it. Why not use your better hand 5x more often?

In boxing u must perfect your footwork and balance to throw a correct punch. If u use ur power hand as your jab. Then ur power punches will come from ur weak hand, making them not that powerful.
Although I'm left handed I do some things right handed, such as play guitar.
This might explain why boxing orthodox feels best and makes my right hand
my 'power' hand.

i have the same issue although i like to stick to southpaw because my right jab is cleaner. but who says you cant switch between stances mid-spar? im a bit different because my right leg is the power leg when kicking so i like to switch it up and it confuses the hell out of some guys. if i cant get a guy with my left ill switch to orthodox so i cant tag him with some power rather than just right jabs and hooks. try it out and see how some guys react to it.

This is not at all uncommon on the pro circuit. You will have a some what weaker cross, but the trade off is a power jab that will be hard to deal with, a god awful hard lead hook, and you get to keep your liver as far from your opponent as possible.

That leading liver is the big weakness in a southpaw stance.

I'm another lefty that works in orthodox stance. I love circling right and throwing the jab-left hook combo. Admittedly my right hand isn't much more than a distraction to keep my opponent's mind on, but I tend to work my hands to set up my kicks anyways. I feel like I potentially have more power in my left leg, but have always had better technique throwing the right leg as my rear kick, so it all works out.

I'm one of those odd ball people that do different sports with different hands. I write mostly with my left hand but do a lot of sports with my right and left sides.

With hands, my left hand seems to be better at intricate things. Writing, throwing darts etc. My right hand has more power though. I can throw a baseball with either hand but I can throw it further with my right hand. For bowling, I can throw the ball much harder right handed but the second time around, I would be apt to throw with my left hand to pick up a spare. Swinging a bat, I can hit much further right handed but I would have a higher batting average left handed....

With my legs, I'm pretty even and don't have a preference. I can kick a soccer ball about the same with both feet. On a skateboard or surfboard, I can ride regular or goofy footed but prefer goofy footed.

I stand orthodox in boxing. My left hand is more accurate and active while my right hand truly is my power hand. For kicks, I feel my kicks are about the same from either side.

I'm one mixed up mofo.

This dude's a converted orthodox fighter:

OscarDeLaHoyaretire.jpg

and he was more than successful. Be aware of your initial weaknesses going in, but more importantly, IMO, pick a side and stick with it.

im left handed but my right is power

Nothing wrong with it. Miguel Cotto is a left handed orthodox three time boxing world champion. In the end though it comes to balance and technique in order to throw powerfull punches.

This is not at all uncommon on the pro circuit. You will have a some what weaker cross, but the trade off is a power jab that will be hard to deal with, a god awful hard lead hook, and you get to keep your liver as far from your opponent as possible.

That leading liver is the big weakness in a southpaw stance.
I second that.

Whatever feels more natural.

I'm right-handed but I snowboard (and skateboard) like a lefty.

Sorry to bring up a old thread, but I googled my problem and found this page. Am left handed when writing or eating with a spoon or fork, but feel more comfortable when throwing balls/punches with my right and it feels more powerful and natrual whereas my left feels awkward I also feel like i more better in orthodox. Does anyone else have this problem what am I better off doing going southpaw or staying orthodox.

Sorry to bring up a old thread, but I googled my problem and found this page. Am left handed when writing or eating with a spoon or fork, but feel more comfortable when throwing balls/punches with my right and it feels more powerful and natrual whereas my left feels awkward I also feel like i more better in orthodox. Does anyone else have this problem what am I better off doing going southpaw or staying orthodox.

Fight in the stance that feels more comfortable. Im the exact opposite, righty standing as a south paw. Years of basketball in the triple threat position ingrained this in this noggin.

That's plenty normal. Lots of guys do that. My buddy is a boxer and basically called me an idiot for not doing it. Why not use your better hand 5x more often?

I like knocking people down with my cross not annoying them with it.

I really enjoy playing southpaw with my right hand up front (I'm right handed) but my feet are sort of a problem. Hitting a bag and boxing are two different animals.

the VERY first thing my coach ever did to me was ask me to take a step toward him. I naturally stepped with my left foot first, so he said right then BAM you're an orthodox fighter.

Still fun to play around.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kilgorevontrouty
Back