Leaving Tyson off the list of top 10 heavyweights is like...

Foreman would fuck Tyson up, You not heard that Tyson in his prime was scared shitless of Foreman in his 40's? He told his promoter "you fucking fight him if you like him that much"
That is true.
Tyson not only lost to Holyfield later in his career, he sparred with him earlier. Tyson dominated early but by the middle rounds the tide had turned. So Tyson refused to continue.

I watched that old ESPN documentary on the top 10 heavyweights of all time and Mike Tyson didn't make the list.

10. Larry Holmes
Joe Frasier
George Foreman
Ezzard Charles
Rocky Marciano
Gene Tunney
Jack Johnson
Jack Dempsey
Muhammad Ali
1. Joe Louis

The insanity of that aside...who is the Tyson of MMA?

Cro Cop?

Whoever made that list is an idiot.

I'd say Vitali was the better of the two. That fight with Lewis on short notice was a blood bath.
i agree, and i like vitali more. always have

but wlad stuck around longer and had the belts longer and made more defenses. if vitali even defended the wbc belt more times and got over 50 wins, i think he'd be ranked higher. but he took a hiatus then came back and only had the wbc belt. so for the fact wlad has over 60 wins and also has the amount of title defenses that he does, i usually give the nod to rank wlad higher

Do you know what youre talking about though?

In 1986 Tyson went the distance with Mitch Green and James Tillis in consecutive fights...TWO WEEKS APART... winning both by decision.
Who?

Tyson was terrified of George.

I had to go into the archives for this one.

"At this time, Evander Holyfield was getting ready for his sixth fight as a heavyweight against Seamus McDonagh on June 1 in Atlantic City. On the day of the Holyfield-McDonagh fight, I went to grab something to eat with Georgie Benton, Lou Duva and Bobby Goodman. At the time, Goodman was, and still is, Don King's matchmaker. I've known Benton for many years, through him I met Duva, and was introduced to Goodman a couple weeks before Tyson fought Larry Holmes at the Convention Center in Atlantic City in January 1988.

While we were eating, Benton said, "Bobby, what's up with Foreman and Tyson, how come they're not fighting each other on the 16th? Isn't that the fight that King was trying to make?" He said, "Georgie, You'll never believe this but, Fuckin' Tyson is scared shit less of Foreman and wants no part of him. I was there when Don was trying to make the fight. He was telling Tyson that Foreman represented huge money, plus he was old and slow and would be no problem. Tyson got up and screamed at King saying, 'I'm not fight in' that Fuckin' animal, if you love the motherfucker so much, you fight him!'"

Goodman stated that Tyson said Foreman was much better than people thought, and was a dangerous fight for any of the top heavyweights. Goodman proceeded to explain how Tyson was calling Foreman a big con man, and explained that the grandpop act was just a front. He said Tyson saw Foreman as trying to set up the boxing world into thinking he was a pushover, knowing that he really wasn't. Tyson said Foreman was a wolf in sheep's clothing. Goodman continued to say that after seeing Tyson's response to King trying to push him into a fight with Foreman, he had no doubt that Tyson had fear of Foreman. He also said that from that point on, he felt that if Foreman and Tyson ever fought, Foreman would knock Tyson out!

Throughout the lunch Goodman, Duva, Benton, and myself shared stories and thoughts on the fight game. Out of the blue Goodman said, "Oh I remember why else Tyson wanted no parts of Foreman. He said that King had found out from Steve Lott that Tyson and Cus D'Amato used to watch the Frazier-Foreman fight over and over." He continued saying that Tyson loved that fight because he was awed by Foreman's power and Frazier's toughness and how he kept getting up after every knockdown. He also said that Lott told King that Cus sat alongside Tyson saying, "It's suicide against Foreman if you're short and fight a swarming attacking style like Marciano or Frazier," never figuring that Foreman could be a possible Tyson opponent down the road. He said that Cus said the only fighters who had a chance against Foreman were, tall rangy fighters who could fight him from a distance while moving away from him, and no way any swarmer could beat Foreman by going to him."

Well, im not gonna call anyone a liar but if Mike did say that, im sure it was out of respect and not fear.

When Ali and Tyson were on the Arsenio Hall show, Ali said he was afraid of Tyson.

Do we really think Ali would've been afraid of Tyson after going through living death against Frasier?

Well, im not gonna call anyone a liar but if Mike did say that, im sure it was out of respect and not fear.

When Ali and Tyson were on the Arsenio Hall show, Ali said he was afraid of Tyson.

Do we really think Ali would've been afraid of Tyson after going through living death against Frasier?
Ali was just being humble. His cocky version of himself in the 70s would say he would whoopTyson and he would have

Last edited:

No idea, but this is a journalist sitting about having dinner with matchmakers as opposed to Ali hyping up another guy on a TV show.

The record shows they never fought.

Why doesn't anyone bring up that Iron Mike Tyson was a convicted rapist and used to beat up grandmas for thier purses? He should be scrubbed from history. Quit praising the man.

Definitive boxing lists should really be starting in the 70's when boxing became huge.

Louis's last fight was in 1951, Ezzard, you would have to google to know and he also last fought in the early 50's as was Marciano. Tunney's last fight was in 1928 and there are very few recorded instances of his fights.

It's great to have these legends of boxing recognized but unless we have a bunch of 70 year olds talking about the golden days of boxing its before most of our time. I boxed through the 80's at an amateur level and my heroes were the boxers from the 70's and 80's.

The average 20 year old fight fan today would have no clue who most of the guys on that list are..

Why doesn't anyone bring up that Iron Mike Tyson was a convicted rapist and used to beat up grandmas for thier purses? He should be scrubbed from history. Quit praising the man.

Why are you flying the American flag upside down?

Are you in danger?

giphy.gif

80s heavyweights sucked. Tyson was a fearsome fighter, but he came along at the right time.

Same with Holmes. Look at his record, it's filled with nobodies. He beat some 'names', but they were over the hill. And I still say he lost to Witherspoon.

I watched that old ESPN documentary on the top 10 heavyweights of all time and Mike Tyson didn't make the list.

10. Larry Holmes
Joe Frasier
George Foreman
Ezzard Charles
Rocky Marciano
Gene Tunney
Jack Johnson
Jack Dempsey
Muhammad Ali
1. Joe Louis

Cro Cop?
Mate you don’t know boxing, all of those guys are ahead of Tyson because they beat better fighters, that’s what you look at at the end of someone’s career, how many all time greats did he beat ? Who ? How good were they etc

Tyson’s biggest win is probably Michael Spinks

But obviously that list is pretty shoddy, Jack Johnson while being a pioneer didn’t fight great fighters, Dempsey didn’t fight more than a couple and same goes for Tunney

But that’s a conversation for a whole other day

All are horrible if true. No excuse or justification for either. I believe the purse thing was probably from when he was a teenage street thug before becoming a boxer. The rape thing? It’s been questionable as to if it was someone looking to make money off of him.
Tupac should be scrubbed from the all time greatest rappers list due to his rape charge...
Rape (if true) is never excusable or ok. But false accusations are filed every day.

Same with Holmes. Look at his record, it's filled with nobodies. He beat some 'names', but they were over the hill. And I still say he lost to Witherspoon.

Yeah. Could be said for a lot of these fighters. Holmes beat some good guys at the tail end of their career in the 70s, but he didn't put in any effort to unify the title and it was a weak era.

Conor's like Tyson:
Power, speed, talent, notoriety, short legacy, not known for having heart.

10. Larry Holmes
Joe Frasier
George Foreman
Ezzard Charles
Rocky Marciano
Gene Tunney
Jack Johnson
Jack Dempsey
Muhammad Ali
1. Joe Louis

Cro Cop?
I wouldn’t put him in there if we are doing it by resume

Back