Leaving Tyson off the list of top 10 heavyweights is like...

I have seen all Vitali and Wladimirs fights.
They are my favorite boxers besides Joe Calzaghe, Pac Man, Marciano, Joe Lewis, Chris Eubanks, Steve Collins, and Roy Jones.

They are both in the top ten heavyweights of all time.
Maybe not over Joe Lewis or Marciano, but definitely in the upper 10
Upper top 10 all time but couldn't land a punch on Fury in over an hour of fighting

Upper top 10 all time but couldn't land a punch on Fury in over an hour of fighting
Everyone gets old. Everyone loses.
Does Joe Lewis not deserve the number 1 spot because he got ko'd by Max Schmeling and Rocky Marciano?

And out of retirement, out of Prime, and out of shape Tyson Fury is the best heavyweight there is right now.

Everyone gets old. Everyone loses.
Does Joe Lewis not deserve the number 1 spot because he got ko'd by Max Schmeling and Rocky Marciano?

And out of retirement, out of Prime, and out of shape Tyson Fury is the best heavyweight there is right now.
Ok fair

I'll admit i just dont like Wlad's style. I think any half decent outboxer with enough size and quickness would pick him apart

I don't think it'd look all that different if both Wlad and Fury are 27 years old

Mate you don’t know boxing, all of those guys are ahead of Tyson because they beat better fighters, that’s what you look at at the end of someone’s career, how many all time greats did he beat ? Who ? How good were they etc

Tyson’s biggest win is probably Michael Spinks

But obviously that list is pretty shoddy, Jack Johnson while being a pioneer didn’t fight great fighters, Dempsey didn’t fight more than a couple and same goes for Tunney

But that’s a conversation for a whole other day
Tunney beat a couple of greats, but he wasn’t a career HW.

Anyway, list in the OP is silly and Tyson isn’t top 10 in any case.

I have seen all Vitali and Wladimirs fights.
They are my favorite boxers besides Joe Calzaghe, Pac Man, Marciano, Joe Lewis, Chris Eubanks, Steve Collins, and Roy Jones.

They are both in the top ten heavyweights of all time.
Maybe not over Joe Lewis or Marciano, but definitely in the upper 10

The Klitschos are the equivalent of Hector Lombard in Bellator. Big fishes in a small pond. Shitty competition. But that is known by actual boxing fans. Also, I’d be surprised if you’ve ever watched more than one Klitchko fight. You’re argument is so absurd. The one thing real boxing fans might agree with is the fact that the heavyweight division was garbage from 2003 to 2016.

Props to you—you’ve goated me into debating boxing with someone who clearly doesn’t follow it. I’m done—have a good one troll.

Ken Norton is way underrated from fighting in such a stacked era; he could totally beat some of those guys. Lennox Lewis could likely have beaten some of those in the top 10 of the OP, especially some of the older, smaller fighters.

Tyson? No. Top 15-20 though. Holyfield was better. Klitschkos probably were better too.

Mike Tyson is not a top 10 HW of all time, and if he does sneak into a list its at the bottom

Ronda Rousey is the Tyson of MMA
That's a pretty damn good analogy. I grew up watching every early Tyson fight with my Father. His early opponents were never high caliber, when he met the real contenders that's when he started losing. Tyson was more of a show everyone had to see because of the ferociousness in which he fought.

Anyone that’s old enough to have watched Tyson fight in his “prime” knows he was a special fighter. Revisionist historians now say he wasn’t one of the greats.
IMO the Tyson from 1986-1991 beats anyone on that list. The Douglas fight was the beginning of him losing his focus & getting away from what made him great. But even then he was able to win fights not being entirely dedicated.
Most of the opinions in this thread are based off of a fighter that somewhere along the way lost his focus.
I grew up watching Tyson, he never fought anyone worth a shit early on in his career. The heavyweight division sucked.

The Klitschos are the equivalent of Hector Lombard in Bellator. Big fishes in a small pond. Shitty competition. But that is known by actual boxing fans. Also, I’d be surprised if you’ve ever watched more than one Klitchko fight. You’re argument is so absurd. The one thing real boxing fans might agree with is the fact that the heavyweight division was garbage from 2003 to 2016.

Props to you—you’ve goated me into debating boxing with someone who clearly doesn’t follow it. I’m done—have a good one troll.
The Klitschkos are my favorite boxers.
I have seen all their fights.

America, the UK, and world had a decade to show they had better boxers, and they failed. So now you have biased sore losers (like yourself) crying and lying trying to get people to look the other way.

They are in the top 5 just by their records alone.

So dream on Alice maybe you would be better suited watching basketball where everyone has big mouths and weak chins.

Ok fair

I'll admit i just dont like Wlad's style. I think any half decent outboxer with enough size and quickness would pick him apart

I don't think it'd look all that different if both Wlad and Fury are 27 years old
Wlad was strong and hit like a mule kicking, He was a good boxer as well. But speed is an ingredient one would NEED to have beaten him. That's why everyone thought David Haye was going to beat him.

Wlad and Fury both in their primes would have been a great fight. I don't know if Fury would stay down after a Wladimir right or not, Fury has a good Irish chin on him. The game plan Fury had 4 years ago worked pretty good.

I'm not a knowledgeable boxing fan, barely watch it, but based on hearing countless of debates over the years it seems to me the way you rank Tyson is based on how highly you subscribe to the "prime" idea.
Most people agree that a prime Tyson was a top 10 GOAT.
But his overall career might be lacking compared to others.

Some attribute his downfall to loss of focus, some say it's proof that he was outclassed.
We can't prove it either way.
So I'd argue that it's fair that some top lists leave off Tyson, you gotta let some people focus on other aspects than a short 'prime'

See, I don't understand how any fighter that unified the heavyweight title at age 19, defended it 8 times...AND THEN won 2 belts after doing 3 years in the can in lacking.

The man won heavyweight championships in 2 different decades.

See, I don't understand how any fighter that unified the heavyweight title at age 19, defended it 8 times...AND THEN won 2 belts after doing 3 years in the can in lacking.

Guys in the 1980s weren’t good competition or something.. of course they looked bad; Tyson was destroying all of them! “Boxing experts” would say that Ali and Frazier were cans if Tyson ran through them in the 1970s

The detractors fall into a few camps. College kids who never watched him fight. Older guys who grew up watching Ali, etc & refuse to acknowledge the guy who had the style to give him the most problems was ever anything special . And the google educated boxing fans who read he lost to Holyfield & Lewis, regardless of context.
Most people forget he was winning the 3rd round of the second fight vs Holyfield before he decided to have a mid fight snack. Never ok, but he was frustrated by Holyfield’s headbutts.

I'd be willing to agree. Personally I do think it's an amazing career.
Not saying it's lacking in itself, just that I can imagine how others could argue some guys on this list were one notch above.

Back