Leaving Tyson off the list of top 10 heavyweights is like...

PalmStrike

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
I watched that old ESPN documentary on the top 10 heavyweights of all time and Mike Tyson didn't make the list.

10. Larry Holmes
Joe Frasier
George Foreman
Ezzard Charles
Rocky Marciano
Gene Tunney
Jack Johnson
Jack Dempsey
Muhammad Ali
1. Joe Louis

The insanity of that aside...who is the Tyson of MMA?

Cro Cop?

Tyson always lacked that killer instinct

Last edited:
Mike Tyson is not a top 10 HW of all time, and if he does sneak into a list its at the bottom

Ronda Rousey is the Tyson of MMA

I watched that old ESPN documentary on the top 10 heavyweights of all time and Mike Tyson didn't make the list.

10. Larry Holmes
Joe Frasier
George Foreman
Ezzard Charles
Rocky Marciano
Gene Tunney
Jack Johnson
Jack Dempsey
Muhammad Ali
1. Joe Louis

Cro Cop?
Where is Lennox lewis?

Mike Tyson is not a top 10 HW of all time, and if he does sneak into a list its at the bottom

Ronda Rousey is the Tyson of MMA

Holmes, Ali and Louis are the only guys on that list that have a chance to beat unified Tyson.

LOL Gene Tunney at number 5 and he only fought at HW twice against the same guy, an old semiretired version of Dempsey.

That's like saying that Hendo is top 5 HW just for defeating Fedor in 2011. So stupid. That list sucks

We don't have one yet. Tyson was very special

10. Larry Holmes
Joe Frasier
George Foreman
Ezzard Charles
Rocky Marciano
Gene Tunney
Jack Johnson
Jack Dempsey
Muhammad Ali
1. Joe Louis

Cro Cop?

They are right tbh. Tyson's impact on the culture far outweighs his actual standing among the HW greats. Truth is Tyson lost to just about anyone who didn't piss themselves at the sight of him. And he didn't avenge those losses, people treat Buster Douglas like he was Matt Serra, dude had an awesome record.

Let's ignore Douglas, as much as you want to, how can you possibly with a straight face put him above Holyfield or Lewis? They might not be as interesting people but they were better and if anyone from that era(not counting old George Foreman who might have STILL been able to beat Tyson) should be on the list it should prolly be Lewis.

I get putting him above Holmes(cause he beat him) Tyson wins in boxing math there. But Holmes had fewer losses and was undefeated before Tyson beat him. People might be overrating the 70s legends(besides Ali who wasn't himself obv) he beat and that might be why he's there it ain't insane.

The Tyson of MMA is probably Conor, a one dimensional boxer, who broke PPV records and was larger than life but had serious cardio issues and struggled against the best. Maybe Chuck? Really hasn't been someone in MMA with his type of personality and style to succeed yet. Thiago Silva might be MMA Tyson minus the PPV success. And without the PPV success no one heard of him again after he got into legal trouble.

My top 10 would be a bit different but Tyson ain't top 10, top 15 is stretching it.

Let me see:

Ali
Louis
Dempsey
Marciano
Johnson
Foreman
Frasier
Charles
Lewis
Holyfield
Holmes

He's arguably behind or will soon be behind both Klitschkos, Tyson Fury.

Tyson belongs nowhere on the top 10 list. Glorified can crusher who got love because of his demeanour and style and potential. Not his actual results.

He's arguably not even the best Tyson in boxing lol. Dosser.

In general i don’t think boxing experts and historians consider him a top 10 heavyweight. He had a great run going for awhile, but as a whole all those other guys had better careers.

Dempsey was like 180lbs. Ali was around 206 for most his fights. Styles and size have changed . Tyson and Lewis would demolish either of those guys.

Tyson lost every fight he ever had. If he couldn't steam roll them...he lost.

Anyone that’s old enough to have watched Tyson fight in his “prime” knows he was a special fighter. Revisionist historians now say he wasn’t one of the greats.
IMO the Tyson from 1986-1991 beats anyone on that list. The Douglas fight was the beginning of him losing his focus & getting away from what made him great. But even then he was able to win fights not being entirely dedicated.
Most of the opinions in this thread are based off of a fighter that somewhere along the way lost his focus.

Tyson lost every fight he ever had. If he couldn't steam roll them...he lost.

Do you know what youre talking about though?

In 1986 Tyson went the distance with Mitch Green and James Tillis in consecutive fights...TWO WEEKS APART... winning both by decision.

10. Larry Holmes
Joe Frasier
George Foreman
Ezzard Charles
Rocky Marciano
Gene Tunney
Jack Johnson
Jack Dempsey
Muhammad Ali
1. Joe Louis

Cro Cop?

Conor

I go back and forth with Tyson, he was an absolute savage for a small window in time, then shit just kind of unraveled for him. Is Holyfield really not top 10? I admittedly don't know much about some of the older guys, but Holyfield by longevity and will alone was super impressive.

Back