Learning to shoot

As far as the ammo:
I usually only buy ammo in bulk except for hunting ammunition. https://ammoseek.com/ is the
best place (search engine) that I know of for in stock bulk ammo.

And the shooting:
Learn about the specifics of your firearm. That includes the steps to the function and how the
different parts contribute to malfunctions.

Practice, using snap caps, used casings, and dummy rounds, how to clear malfunctions. Conduct
magazine change drills and dry fire draws.

Dry fire the hell out of your weapon. Modern weapons don't tend to have issues with dry firing.
Consult your owner's manual for details though.

Go to the range and practice in stages. Practice grouping your weapon at the range you zero at.
Then zero the weapon and confirm the zero.

Practice multiple target engagement. Then practice live fire target engagement with magazine
changes.

When you are comfortable try practicing what we call reflexive fire. This includes engaging
targets to the left and right, and focus on transitioning your body to the appropriate direction.

Practice moving and shooting.

Start with dry fire, then move to live fire only after you can comfortably and safely succeed on
dry fire.

Practice starting in different positions such as sitting down, being behind a barricade, and reacting
to situations where you are trying to defend yourself, such as in your car (dry fire only) and in your
house (dry fire only).

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Remember, expertise does not come from special training. It comes from the basics. Practice the
basics until they are second nature.

But, I'd recommend you to sign up and take at least a basic pistol class at a local training facility
as a refresher. Always good to sharpen skills that become a bit dull. It might be a bit pricey, but
it's well worth it. Then practice, practice and practice some more.

"Owning a piano does not make one a pianist any more than owning a handgun makes one
a good shooter
." - Jeff Cooper, founder of Gunsite

It's always been nice having his world class training facility right in my backyard:

https://www.gunsite.com/

Plenty to be learned just from their YT videos:
https://www.youtube.com/c/1Gunsite/videos

It has been a long time. What target ammo would you recommend? Back when I used to shoot I used Winchester and found blazer to be trash. But it seems that the latter has become omnipresent everywhere now.
I've never heard of oak island but it appears to be the cheapest per round.
I'm looking for .40 s&w.

Consider picking up a 22 pistol to augment your practice... much cheaper ammo. Not a replacement for practicing with your other firearm, but it will allow you practice more without breaking the bank.
I bought the p229 because it's a compact but has good stopping power with either the .40 or .357.
What would you recommend in a 22 or a smaller caliber easy to carry gun for when I'm out running for example?

For real sherbro, something people rarely ever talk about is the crazy amount of lead pollution at shooting ranges.

If you want to start practicing and you're spending more time at the range, this is going to sound silly but for your own sake it would be better to wear a mask in addition to ear protection so that you can reduce the amount of particles you're breathing in.

Indoor ranges are by far the worst for this, but there can still be high lead levels in the dust that gets kicked up / airborne at an outdoor range.

If using an indoor range, long sleaves would also be best and one should shower and throw everything into the laundry as soon as you're home.

Loaded with lead: How gun ranges poison workers and shooters (seattletimes.com)

Ffs, there's info you never even hear about.
Cool, thanks sir.

Aim with ur fist too
68747470733a2f2f73332e616d617a6f6e6177732e636f6d2f776174747061642d6d656469612d736572766963652f53746f7279496d6167652f4336514266736f7a3848335f79513d3d2d3437393137313730372e3134656236393564313462653265633234353933323536333832312e676966

Have now been to the range twice with plans to take the cch course at the end of the month.

Have been practicing mostly at 5-7 yards. My pattern right now is up and to the left. One of the instructors was kind enough to give me a few tips and it appears the trigger pull is what's causing the leftward drift.

After so long, I have to say it is much harder than I remember, the pistol (.40 sig 229, 180 gr) kicks a lot more than I remember, I've completely forgotten how to postion my body, torso, legs etc.
I'm happy with my grip, but don't think I'm gripping tight enough as the first few rounds are terribly inaccurate until I settle down
Also, I'm definitely anticipating the recoil.

It's also more stressful than I remember.

Have now been to the range twice with plans to take the cch course at the end of the month.

Have been practicing mostly at 5-7 yards. My pattern right now is up and to the left. One of the instructors was kind enough to give me a few tips and it appears the trigger pull is what's causing the leftward drift.

After so long, I have to say it is much harder than I remember, the pistol (.40 sig 229, 180 gr) kicks a lot more than I remember, I've completely forgotten how to postion my body, torso, legs etc.
I'm happy with my grip, but don't think I'm gripping tight enough as the first few rounds are terribly inaccurate until I settle down
Also, I'm definitely anticipating the recoil.

It's also more stressful than I remember.
Doesn't help that .40 S&W sucks.

Had my best trip to the range so far (third. Fourth is tomorrow). Went through about 130 rounds practicing for the cch shooting test. Confident I won't have any issues passing.

I need to practice DA trigger pulls. Requires so much more force.

Had my best trip to the range so far (third. Fourth is tomorrow). Went through about 130 rounds practicing for the cch shooting test. Confident I won't have any issues passing.

The absolute WORST trigger I've ever felt was the double action on a Beretta 92. It felt like one never ending pull.

The magnum round semi autos are dumb. I’m looking at you .40 and 10mm. Get a 9mm or .45 and start over. Tbh just get a 9mm, capacity>the slight difference in stopping power.

Some Insights

Back