Learning to shoot

The indoor range at the high school I attended and the one at the Sportsman's club I belong to both have systems that blow outside air behind the shooting stations and remove air from the target area and blow it through filters to the outside of the building.
All indoor ranges these days have very elaborate ventilation and filter systems. They have to to even be legal. That link he posted is nothing but clickbait garbage written by some jackass with an axe to grind. Considering the source, I guess that's no surprise. (Seattle Times)

Not to derail the thread, but apparently air-rifles have gotten, like, pants-shittingly good over the past decade or so.
When I checked out of the game in the mid 00s, there weren't many options. It was mostly Wal Mart type offerings with a few high end European "well made, low power" options. The "Drozd Bumblebee" was the coolest innovation in that world at the time.
Fast forward to today, there are, like, numerous full auto BB guns for cheap prices that are just a riot to shoot, high powered PCP air rifles you can hunt deer with, suppressed air rifles with ridiculous power, FULL AUTO 30 CALIBER AIR RIFLES ffs... That world has evolved exponentially.

I picked up one of these in .30...
https://utahairguns.com/aea-challenger-bullpup/
... and its like, dead ass quiet as a well suppressed rimfire and delivering about that power level downrange.

I've shot one of those full auto air rifles, they're pretty fucking cool. It was the .30 caliber Hatsan Blitz. It only holds 16 pellets and it will empty the magazine in about a second.

The same guy that has that also has an Umarex Hammer. That thing is a beast. Loud enough to make your ears ring and has a decent amount of recoil. It will send a 500 grain bullet at about 800 fps, certainly lives up to its name. Down side is you don't get very many shots before you have to refill it, and if your compressor is down and all you have is a manual pump, it's gonna take a while...

Kinda hate to say this, but if PCP air rifle technology evolves much further and they keep pushing the envelope with things like high power, full auto, sound suppression, etc, wouldn't surprise me to see some sort of regulation come down, especially if someone does something super awful with one. Air rifles were always kind of a joke, they're not jokes anymore.

This suppressed .30 I have is like, laser accurate, almost silent and 'hand of god' dropped a massive raccoon at 40 yards. There are scenarios where I'd probably rather have it than most non-NFA firearms...

Yeah any hunting in California has to be done with non lead ammo. They passed that a few years back. Even when I bought pellets at Bass Pro earlier this year, the woman behind the counter said you have to buy non lead if you're hunting.

https://cdfgnews.wordpress.com/2019/05/13/lead-free-hunting-takes-effect-statewide-july-1/
I'll have to confirm, but I was under the impression air rifle ammo doesn't have to be lead free in California because they aren't classified as fire arms. None of that makes any sense, but this is California. I'll look into it.
<EdgyBrah>

*edit*
I looked into it, this is what was in the link you provided.

"The requirement does not apply to hunting with pellet rifles. Since pellet rifles are not classified as firearms, the use of lead pellets is allowed"
<JackieThumbsUp>

I'll have to confirm, but I was under the impression air rifle ammo doesn't have to be lead free in California because they aren't classified as fire arms. None of that makes any sense, but this is California. I'll look into it.
<EdgyBrah>
Well she said if you shoot any animals with it, then it has to be lead free. Target shooting is fair game. What I've read says the opposite but I couldn't find anything newer than 2019.

I went to piss on some state land with a sign in Idaho. The sign said to grab your gun and go shooting. Huh. Very not California of them.

I think I need to start shooting as well my friend cherry. Look forward to the tips.

Get some 147gr 9mm for your handgun. Definitely easier to shoot than 115gr or 124gr.

For real sherbro, something people rarely ever talk about is the crazy amount of lead pollution at shooting ranges.

If you want to start practicing and you're spending more time at the range, this is going to sound silly but for your own sake it would be better to wear a mask in addition to ear protection so that you can reduce the amount of particles you're breathing in.

Indoor ranges are by far the worst for this, but there can still be high lead levels in the dust that gets kicked up / airborne at an outdoor range.

If using an indoor range, long sleaves would also be best and one should shower and throw everything into the laundry as soon as you're home.

Loaded with lead: How gun ranges poison workers and shooters (seattletimes.com)
I remember when that happened. Having the employees do the clean up with no PPE was a shit move. Not surprising tho. Most probably wouldn't wear a mask either but I feel like that's another topic

For real sherbro, something people rarely ever talk about is the crazy amount of lead pollution at shooting ranges.

If you want to start practicing and you're spending more time at the range, this is going to sound silly but for your own sake it would be better to wear a mask in addition to ear protection so that you can reduce the amount of particles you're breathing in.

Indoor ranges are by far the worst for this, but there can still be high lead levels in the dust that gets kicked up / airborne at an outdoor range.

If using an indoor range, long sleaves would also be best and one should shower and throw everything into the laundry as soon as you're home.

Dang I never thought of this. Thanks for sharing.

I know many places ban lead bullets now in California but I always assumed it was because of environmental reasons. Never considered the risk to shooters.

All indoor ranges these days have very elaborate ventilation and filter systems. They have to to even be legal. That link he posted is nothing but clickbait garbage written by some jackass with an axe to grind. Considering the source, I guess that's no surprise. (Seattle Times)

It's an old story, 2015, but it's literally about police officers getting preventable cases of lead poisoning from training at indoor ranges whose ventilation systems were not maintained well.

Regulation and inspecting indoor ranges better or moving past lead munition nation wide = bad?

Police officers getting documented cases of lead poisoning = clickbait?

Ok buddy.

I was an IDPA (EX) and could've probably qualified for the (MA) at my peak.
Started off actually a very poor pistol shooter but powered through it and when it took, it took hard.
This was when ammo was WAY cheaper and shooting 200 rounds a day was something anyone who worked full time could do and not notice. Different times.

Practice, practice, practice. The gun world has a lot of Autism built into its best practices, but the internet has debunked A LOT of that old horseshit. The mean skill level of shooters seems to have gone way up (or maybe the internet just makes it seem that way) but I used to travel for shoots and there just seems to be a lot more guys shooting at a high level,

Be humble and focus on improving skill, ignore the ego and testosterone bullshit. Those guys get humiliated when it comes time to prove what they can do, every time. Do not get involved with unlimited classes in IPSC, its not real.

Learn to reload.

Speed counts but (protip), if you want to get razor sharp and deadly AF, once you get your fundamentals down, practice shooting while moving. Disallowed in some competititions but the nastiest possible advantage IRL. Its hard but when the lightbulb goes iff, it stays on forever. I had a 10 year hiatus from shooting (like, at all) and when I picked it back up, I was still basically at a higher level than everyone around me and could hit 7 yard heads in a trot.

Focus less on guns, more on shooting skill. Can't emphasize this enough. The gun world is absolutely riddled with the cancer of morbidly obese 'gun theorists' and prattling Tactical Toms who all have 423 different fireams but are impotent as shooters... but such is the nature of every hobby, people who emphasize gear over skill, the guys on woodworking forums who have $15K in ultra high end tools to build birdhouses, the guitar players who babble about 'tone' on guitar forums all day and own $60K in musical gear but have been playing the same three pentatonic scales since 1989. If I could boil it all down to one single thing, it's this; focus your energies on cultivating SKILL first, then when you have skill, worry about gear.

Fuck you man that hits way too close to home ha ha

It's an old story, 2015, but it's literally about police officers getting preventable cases of lead poisoning from training at indoor ranges whose ventilation systems were not maintained well.

Regulation and inspecting indoor ranges better or moving past lead munition nation wide = bad?

Police officers getting documented cases of lead poisoning = clickbait?

Ok buddy.
You didn't understand what I said or what the article was saying. But that's ok.

I was an IDPA (EX) and could've probably qualified for the (MA) at my peak.
Started off actually a very poor pistol shooter but powered through it and when it took, it took hard.
This was when ammo was WAY cheaper and shooting 200 rounds a day was something anyone who worked full time could do and not notice. Different times.

Practice, practice, practice. The gun world has a lot of Autism built into its best practices, but the internet has debunked A LOT of that old horseshit. The mean skill level of shooters seems to have gone way up (or maybe the internet just makes it seem that way) but I used to travel for shoots and there just seems to be a lot more guys shooting at a high level,

Be humble and focus on improving skill, ignore the ego and testosterone bullshit. Those guys get humiliated when it comes time to prove what they can do, every time. Do not get involved with unlimited classes in IPSC, its not real.

Learn to reload.

Speed counts but (protip), if you want to get razor sharp and deadly AF, once you get your fundamentals down, practice shooting while moving. Disallowed in some competititions but the nastiest possible advantage IRL. Its hard but when the lightbulb goes iff, it stays on forever. I had a 10 year hiatus from shooting (like, at all) and when I picked it back up, I was still basically at a higher level than everyone around me and could hit 7 yard heads in a trot.

Focus less on guns, more on shooting skill. Can't emphasize this enough. The gun world is absolutely riddled with the cancer of morbidly obese 'gun theorists' and prattling Tactical Toms who all have 423 different fireams but are impotent as shooters... but such is the nature of every hobby, people who emphasize gear over skill, the guys on woodworking forums who have $15K in ultra high end tools to build birdhouses, the guitar players who babble about 'tone' on guitar forums all day and own $60K in musical gear but have been playing the same three pentatonic scales since 1989. If I could boil it all down to one single thing, it's this; focus your energies on cultivating SKILL first, then when you have skill, worry about gear.
Didn’t expect this kind of truth in the berry.

I’ve been in a few that were absolute OSHA violations if they have such a thing. I use an indoor spot that has a huge ventilation set up and has those disposable wipes for clean ing lead off skin. Still would prefer to shoot outdoors. Also Seems like a lot of breakdown/cleaning videos on line don’t use gloves when cleaning a dirty firearm. This is also a good practice.

That link he posted is nothing but clickbait garbage written by some jackass with an axe to grind. Considering the source, I guess that's no surprise. (Seattle Times)

My thoughts, exactly.

Have been a gun owner since i became old enough to buy a pistol.
Had my ccl in my previous state but have barely target shot in the last 20 years.
I finally feel like it's time to dive back in and get recerted for my ccl. Ammo- for my Sig P229- is back to about 40 c a round so I'm likely going buy 1000 and start it all back up.
Looking for shooting tips, best places to buy ammo, etc and otherwise foster a discussion about safe gun shooting and the hobby.
This is in Mayberry so no political BS

@Deorum @TR0UBLE SH00TER
focus on the front sight, slowly depress the trigger until the firearm discharges, hold the trigger a second then release and listen for the reset.

don’t cross your support thumb over your strong hand thumb.

focus on the front sight, slowly depress the trigger until the firearm discharges, hold the trigger a second then release and listen for the reset.

don’t cross your support thumb over your strong hand thumb.
Im right handed but left eye dominant. Makes things tricky.

Back