1. We now have a new forum called Fantasy Matchup Discussion. Access it here

Learning striking from fellow BJJ team

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by Grey Kid, Sep 9, 2010.

1. Grey Kid

Grey Kid Orange Belt

My BJJ gym is predominantly of an 'old school' gi pedigree. The team does very well at state and national tournies (numerous guys qualifying for ADCC), but they don't offer a worthwhile striking class.

An affiliate coach sometimes uses our matspace and offers a 'boxing' class, but there is little sparring and it's mostly filled with fitness girls.

However, our BJJ coach has given keys to the more experienced grapplers, so many of us active competitors use the gym at all hours, when there is no class, just to drill and roll.

Myself and 3 fellow bjjers have become interested in pankration lately and have formed a small group of 4 to compete in local tournies.

-1 of them is a kickboxer of 2 years + BJJ purple. 5'6 145pounds, and my main training partner.

-1 of them a kickboxer of 5 years + BJJ purple. 6'1 190 pounds and has 5 amateur kickboxing fights, great hands.

-1 of them is a tkd black belt + BJJ blue. 5'9 180 pounds, very explosive guy with non-flashy hard kicks.

My side specialty is wrestling, which I have only been doing for 5 years, but its better than nothing, and I feel I can teach them a few tricks. Our gym has plenty of headgear, gloves, pads etc. so we plan on doing a lot of padwork and sparring together, mixing striking, takedowns and our bjj.

My question is- would this be an appropriate way to train, given my circumstances? (i.e no good striking offered at my school). Keep in mind, my own striking experience is VERY limited and so I'll be mainly relying on my partners to teach me the basics and drill them with me.

Anyone else had similar experiences to share?

Last edited: Sep 9, 2010
  2. fiftysvn

fiftysvn Purple Belt

one has trained for 2 years, another for 5 years, and the other guy is a tkd blackbelt? it sounds like your potential training partners have a decent enough background that you can definitely get something out of it.

personally i would say that just make sure there's some kind of structure going on with each session. i prefer some kind of organized training or workout routine instead of just haphazardly sparring. i feel that is the way i learn best.

3. Andrew Green

Andrew Green White Belt

Just keep in mind that what you are doing is likely going to fall outside of your schools insurance plan which was probably set up for just grappling. It's a technicality, but one to be aware of.

4. fadingxero

fadingxero Orange Belt

Keep it safe, keep it fun.

5. Grey Kid

Grey Kid Orange Belt

I suppose I should clarify that we're all pretty good friends in our early 20s and our coach encourages us to do this. During the early-mid 2000s, our little gym actually produced a crop of fairly decent mma fighters, but then became more and more bjj centric as newer modern mma camps began to pop up.

At some point we're all eyeing ammy mma, and will be using pankration comps to wet our noses first.

I'll be looking to learn to hold pads, hit pads and get down the basics of kickboxing.