Learning kicks in Muay Thai

Staring At Fate

Refuse To Lose.
Reaction score
Started Muay Thai recently and was wondering is it normal for my shin to get red and hurt after repeatedly kicking the bag? After a few kicks it gets all red and hurts after a short amount of time? Also for people that train does it help to have your shoes off?

Yes it is normal and the skin on your shin should get tougher after training continuously. The shoes comment though I got nothing.

why use shoes? MT competitions are done without footwear other than ankle supports.

Yes, soreness and redness in your shins is MORE than just "normal", it's completely EXPECTED. With time, you will toughen up and this will go away.

If you are learning Muay Thai purely for "self defense" purposes (scratches head), then "Sure!", leave the shoes on. Otherwise, do EVERYONE (including yourself) a favor and lose them.

Of course it's normal for your shins to get red & sore, you're shin is repeatedly crashing into a leather bag for god's sake. And I say take the shoes off, unless you're training on hardwood floors or something.

It's bad etiquette and unsanitary to wear your shoes on mats, so if the heavy bag set up is on mats, then you should absolutely take them off. Also, it'll be better to keep the shoes off as it will condition your insteps/ feet to be uncovered.

Back