learning curve of judo..

GnP Josh

White Belt
Reaction score
i wrestled for like 5ish years.. just wondering how hard it would be for me to pick up on judo. looks like it would be fun to get involved with.

You will pick up judo like it's othing, very similar to wrestling, a lot of the same moves. Let me know if u decide to try it, you'll have a blast.

judo is 99% feeling and timing. so for some it's natural and they pick it up quickly. if you can dance and pick up dance moves, you can flow through judo. the coordination required for both is damn near the same.

then for the rest of the population, judo is something you're going to have to work at to go well.

Spoonman7 said:
You will pick up judo like it's othing, very similar to wrestling, a lot of the same moves. Let me know if u decide to try it, you'll have a blast.
i'm def going to give it a try.. i've got more free time in my life now and feel like its something that would be great to do. i'm torn between judo and bjj though. i know they are both similiar but yet so different.

Judo is wrestling with bad intentions. Give it a shot, I'm sure you'll like it.

Soulfly said:
Judo is wrestling with bad intentions. Give it a shot, I'm sure you'll like it.
bad intentions make me happy.. hearing this makes me excited :D

Judo has a very difficult learning curve, much higher than bjj. It requires a lot more intution and instinct as it is more fast paced than bjj. They take time to build up.

If you're going to learn judo. learn judo not how to get your wrestling to work in judo.

GnP Josh said:
i wrestled for like 5ish years.. just wondering how hard it would be for me to pick up on judo. looks like it would be fun to get involved with.

The gi will be tricky at first, but you'll get it. Every wrestler I've trained with does extremely well in Judo. The rules complicate things for wrestlers at first also. You've probably got about a year of training until you make the full crossover. Think about it, you'll be adapting to the gi, learning the rules and point system, learning the names of throws in japanese, etc. But your movements and skills will move you along quickly.

For someone who has never grappled in any way, the learning curve of judo is steep, steep, steep, and it just keeps on going.

a good instructor goes a long way in judo, much more than in bjj, imo.

QingTian said:

I'd say the same thing about training partners

LOL. I trained a little in judo to get judo into my grappling not the other way around! Anyway, to me Judo is just a bunch of moves. Same with wrestling, BJJ, shooto, and everything else. I don't really want to enter a Judo tourney yet; however, I have to problem learning Judo to use in BJJ and grappling tourneys. In fact, I used a few throws in the last one to counter a judoka that I fought!

QingTian said:
yea that's what i hear.. my old coach and a kid from my old team are both state judo champs.. so i figure they must have a decent coach.

Cojofl said:
I'd say the same thing about training partners

Absolutley, especially in smaller clubs. Having a reasonable crop of people who really want to train is half the battle. Some University Judo clubs are annoyingly social.

Judo is not a collection of techniques. If you think that, you'll always have holes in your game.

Back