Learn from a legend...how much$?

DMcKayBJJ

Blue Belt
Reaction score
OK, I need help from you guys to help me settle an argument I had with a non-grappler friend of mine. Long story short:
He's way into golf, so we were talking about what it would be like to take a lesson from a sports legend like Tiger Woods or Jack Nicklaus, such as whether it would be worth it because they're so advanced and he's just an average golfer, "coolness" factor, how much you'd pay for it, etc. I tried to compare it to training with a legend in grappling...just one lesson, not regular training.

So to all the Sherdoggers out there who care to comment:
1) How much would YOU PAY (not how much does it cost) to take a 1-hour lesson with someone like Rickson, Royce, Helio?
2) Do you agree/disagree that it would be worth it for just an average recreational grappler (since most of us would be better off spending that money on a few months of training the basics with otherwise qualified non-legend instructors...I, for one, don't need to learn fancy advanced moves in 1 hour that I may not see or use, ever, or at least until I've trained for several more years)?
3) Do you agree/disagree that the "coolness" factor of being able to train even once with a legend makes it worth it (e.g. you can get a picture/autograph to hang on your wall, not to mention the story to tell your buddies), or is that just like being a star-struck schoolgirl hoping to meet Ricky Martin and willing to pay crazy money to do so?

I said it would be a once-in-a-lifetime chance to do a private with a legend like Rickson, like taking a 1 hour boxing lesson from Tyson or Holyfield. Cool experience, pick up a few tips, worth the money.
He said it would be better and cheaper to request an autographed picture by mail or just find him on the street and say, "Hi," and that it would be better to just save the dough for regular lessons/mat fees, and keep practicing the things I know I need to practice anyway.

What do you think?

it depends on the person you are learning from

rickson, royce are great teachers.

who knows if tiger or jack are good teachers.

1. 100 bones an hour and probly 200 for Royce or Rickson(they're my favs)
2. yes it would be worth every second. having someone 1000 levels above you helping you will make your game go up THAT much faster.
3. and I would say there is a coolness factor. If I went to go train with rickson or royce for a day. When i came back, everyone would want to know what we did.

$50 an hour
$100 is too much

and I don't mind if it's semi private, actually it's cooler because your pals are there!!!

it would definitely be a cool experience ... as to whether or not it will increase your game 300% no it won't an hour lesson is still an hour lesson and if you're just an avg grappler you probably won't be able to pick up anything so advanced that only a legend like that could teach you so if your goal is to get a lot better from a private lesson you might as well just invest that money into some privates with any legit black belt

i pay $140/month for unlimited training with a legend...

what kind of "legend" works for $140 a month lol

I'd pay a couple hundred just to roll one on one with any of my "idols" (Yoshida, Hughes, etc.) for 1 hour. No question. But for some professional that I didn't really idolize, but I knew was damn good, and a legend? $100 for a private roll.

Ruick said:
what kind of "legend" works for $140 a month lol

multiply that by 75? 100? 150? students

Isn't Rickson's school in the 140 price range?

hayliks said:
i pay $140/month for unlimited training with a legend...

Does he personally roll with you and others at the gym and give you pointers and advice on how to improve?

I know the question is for a one hour lesson, but I have a friend that shall remain nameless that I would beat 50 percent of the time train with a legend for 9 hours and now I probally win 1/100 fights with him... So if you have $900 bucks to blow, I suggest you take 9 one hour lessons because it pays off.

I train under Carlos Machado, yeah lol about that asshat. Carlos rolls with everybody who wants to roll with him, every single day.

you get to roll with helio and rorion at their seminars. not exactly private, but he said you get plenty of time with them.

my instructor has some nice pics... getting rnc'd by helio looked cool. it looks like a zombie is attacking him.

I would pay $100 for a private lesson with Rickson. that would be amazing.

I'm paying about $100 a month to train with a judo olympian.

i think you guys are underestimating the shit you learn in a private. I've only taken one, but i learned so much shit it was unreal - things that i hadnt ever seen before, but that werent to exotic so you could pull them off while rolling. id pay 150 for a 1.5-2 hour private with a legend.

... or is that just like being a star-struck schoolgirl hoping to meet Ricky Martin and willing to pay crazy money to do so? - DMcKayBJJ

I would pay $100 to NOT practice BJJ with Ricky Martin.

No, in all seriousness, "Grand Master Helio Gracie has stated that the fastest way to take full advantage of Gracie Jiu-Jitsu techniques and all its intricacies and details is by taking private lessons." (http://www.graciemiami.com/private.htm)

I would pay good money ($100 to $150) to take a private from a grappling legend with the condition that I can video tape the session (got to have the proof).

i used to train under Mauricio 'Motta' Gomez and I learned soo much soo fast.

You can tell the difference between a 'normal' instructor and a legend easily.

VampireMonk said:
$50 an hour
$100 is too much

and I don't mind if it's semi private, actually it's cooler because your pals are there!!!

Its hard enought to find a non-legend that will do a private for $50. $100 is not too much. Rorion Gracie charges $250 an hour.

Back