Learn from a 16 year old blue belt?

TheHereticJay

I scoff at your belt rankings
@Brown
Reaction score
So... there's the Gracie CTCs, right? Well, now you can learn from a 16 year old blue belt in a Gracie CTC in Mississippi! He also offers private lessons!

And if I'm not mistaken, there's a black belt not very far from where he is.

http://www.bjjee.com/featured/16-ye...-instructor-of-gracie-academy-in-mississippi/
And the school's website, with intro by Rener and Ryron... http://graciejiujitsumadison.com/

What are you thoughts on this and if you were starting would you sign yourself, or your family, up to learn from a child?

After doing a little digging, and by digging I mean a few random clicks here and there, I found some prices...

$130/month for 3 classes a week, in the Combatives course.
$130/month for 2 classes a week, in the Gracie Bullyproof course.
$45 for 1/2 hour private lesson with Cantrell, the blue belt instructor.

I can't even. Those prices. Dafuq?

I can get hour long privates with guys who have been black belts longer than I've been training for 50 bucks. This is absurd.

After doing a little digging, and by digging I mean a few random clicks here and there, I found some prices...

$130/month for 3 classes a week, in the Combatives course.
$130/month for 2 classes a week, in the Gracie Bullyproof course.
$45 for 1/2 hour private lesson with Cantrell, the blue belt instructor.

What the hell? I pay just a touch more each month for more classes, taught by black belts, and attended by a plethora of upper belts. Then again I live in the burb of a major metro area.

More baffling are the private lesson prices. $45 bucks will get me a hour long private with a black belt. $90 bucks gets me almost 3 hours based on bulk pricing. This kid is out of his mind but I guess more power to him if anyone falls for this crap.

EDIT:

Holy lord Gracie South is something like 15 minutes from this place and feature Reilly FREAKING Bodycomb as an instructor not to mention three legit black belts of which one is also a Judo black belt. Why would you waste your time getting dry humped by some 16 year old internet blue belt when legit (and I would suspect high level) instruction is available?

Last edited:
LOL! As a blue belt, I couldn't imagine trying to charge anyone any amount of money for my teachings that would severely lack all of the important details.

Must be a joke. No one in Mississippi has $45.

So you can sign in the blackbelt club program run by a 16 year old blue belt?
Mindblow!

I would imagine he could not promote anyone to even blue belt, so maybe promote through HQ.

Btw, Gracie Jiu-Jitsu Madison have a facebook page too.

Holy lord Gracie South is something like 15 minutes from this place and feature Reilly FREAKING Bodycomb as an instructor not to mention three legit black belts of which one is also a Judo black belt.

Well, Reilly just moved to the Bay Area of California...so I doubt he's commuting to Mississippi to teach much now ;)

But yeah, he's right down the street from Gracie South. It must be nice to have parents that can fund your dream to teach jiu jitsu...and he has a nice spot too!

Well, Reilly just moved to the Bay Area of California...so I doubt he's commuting to Mississippi to teach much now ;)

But yeah, he's right down the street from Gracie South. It must be nice to have parents that can fund your dream to teach jiu jitsu...and he has a nice spot too!

I thought that might be the case. Regardless there are what appear to be three legit black belts, including a judo bb, teaching on a daily basis. I am baffled by this whole thing.

The Gracie CTC looks nicer than alot of legit spots I have trained at.

I'd pay $45/half hour to not have to listen to a teenage boy wax poetic about Renner and Helio.

Seriously whattt.....

LMFAO

This would have been absurd 15 years ago when there probably wasn't a black belt within a 3 state radius. It is absolutely mind boggling that anyone would consider it when there are legit black belt instructors down the street.

This is a paid short cut to avoid putting in the work to move through the ranks at a real school.

LMFAO

This would have been absurd 15 years ago when there probably wasn't a black belt within a 3 state radius. It is absolutely mind boggling that anyone would consider it when there are legit black belt instructors down the street.

This is a paid short cut to avoid putting in the work to move through the ranks at a real school.

Furthermore, I think this does a disservice to the implied effectiveness of BJJ. I am a 31 year old 160'ish purple belt. Even as a fresh blue 3 years ago I am 99 percent sure I could run shop on a 16 year old internet blue belt. What is a 220 meathead going to think and more likely do to such an "instructor"? I am not advocating that every instructor needs to look like a tough guy and be able to handle every meat head that comes into their gym. However, if we go to the extreme that our 16 year old instructor has shown we run the risk of people writing off BJJ as ineffective without even trying it. Worse, if a few tough guys do come up in the gym and run through our 16 year old friend, or worse the instructor refuses to roll, then the ineffective nature of the art is shown rather than implied.

More baffling are the private lesson prices. $45 bucks will get me a hour long private with a black belt. $90 bucks gets me almost 3 hours based on bulk pricing

Damn those are cheap. I've never seen a black belt ask for less than 100/hr. I would actually consider getting privates if I could get the prices youre getting

I don't know who would go to this guy when there are plenty of other competent schools under legit black belts in that area.

Lol, the community college I used to go to had beginner BJJ classes run by 2-3 blues and a purp. It was basically free

This is pretty whack, and I'm typically a Rener/Ryron supporter.

Running a Gracie Garage, or teaching a kids class at the local karate place would be one thing but to be a full blown "academy" is nuts.

I've gone to a CTC run by an actual Gracie Academy black belt. Guy was LEO, and was 4-0 in MMA with all subs or something and he charged half that price a month for like 4 days a week. That type of CTC is legit. A place like this though makes me shake my head.

Back