Leaning back on left (lead leg) switch kick

Magic Moraes has a very good lead leg roundhouse.

i lean back a little bit, but not a lot.

Dood if so many years have passed and you still can't throw a proper kick or punch, you need to take a break from sherdog. The only worthwhile place here is the grappling section, this section on the contrary is full of wannabes, knowalls and fake coaches.

I've heard that leaning back on your roundhouse kicks to the body takes away power. What does it do your speed though?

I actually like to throw a side/back kick after missing a lead roundhouse too often...it's a natural thing for me now, even though I've never really trained it formally haha. It's great for stopping guys who rush in after you miss a kick but probably should be used occasionally so your opponent doesn't pick up on it and time a parry/counter.
I was state champ in tkd as a kid using this very technique as a yellow stripe against green and red belts. I was like a tornado of legs and hair, it was pretty funny, but it worked, especially with tkd scoring.

It's just hip flexibility, the classic style it to be more upright but if it works for you who cares. More upright means that you can drive you body forward into the kick more. Leaning back means that you pivot more around your standing leg, with your upper body being the counter balance. I have more flexibility in my left hip than right, so i stay upright on my left kick and lean back on my right.
One thing one might look at tweaking is your upperbody position. Look how twisted your spine is. Your shoulders are trying to go left and your hips are going right. Instead of trying to swing your arm back, think about if you were kicking underwater and were swimming forwards with your arm. If you look at Jordan Watson here, he has his shoulders and hips all in line and and traveling in the same direction.
Everybody has there own thing, and it might not be for you but i thought id point it out.
Roundhouse-Kick-to-Upper-Arm.jpg

Edit: another one with Yod but his arm position is a little exaggerated and in front of his leg
Muay-Thai-Kick.png

Good point:

Quick question here: Is it a good idea to lean back on the left kick when countering a right hand punch from the opponent? To avoid the punch basically.

Back