Leandro Lo -- Relentless Guard Passing, Part 2: World Champion

DPS831

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Here is Part 2 of a video series I made compiling Leandro Lo's guard passing highlights.

Here is Part 2 of a video series I made compiling Leandro Lo's guard passing highlights.

The most counfounding thing about Lo to me is how he can be so dominant and so good at passing the guard yet have so few submissions. According to bjj heroes, Lo has won 30 of his 32 matches this year, yet only 3 of those wins are by submission. By contrast, Lucas Lepri, who probably has the
most similar game to Lo on the world scene, has won 4 of his 7 matches this year by submission. I know Lo plays a points game, but seems extreme for a guy who gets so many dominant positions.

The most counfounding thing about Lo to me is how he can be so dominant and so good at passing the guard yet have so few submissions. According to bjj heroes, Lo has won 30 of his 32 matches this year, yet only 3 of those wins are by submission. By contrast, Lucas Lepri, who probably has the
most similar game to Lo on the world scene, has won 4 of his 7 matches this year by submission. I know Lo plays a points game, but seems extreme for a guy who gets so many dominant positions.

i think it may have something to do with lo not being that good with maintaining position, only establishing it.

don't get me wrong, i think he is a god among men, but the level of his passing game is far beyond his level of, say, holding side control. which isn't really an issue for him, if anyone reguards, he just passes them immediately, but it might not give him enough control to finish everyone left and right.

i honestly don't mind. he kicks so much ass, it really doesn't matter if he's subbing people or not.

I think he's at been a strength disadvantage most of his career, even when he was fighting 76. Doubly so now that he's gone so far up in weight.

Last edited:

Part of it might be Lo's passing style. That loose, active posting style doesn't lend itself as well to establishing tight positional control as the passing of someone like, say, Bernardo Faria.

Part of it might be Lo's passing style. That loose, active posting style doesn't lend itself as well to establishing tight positional control as the passing of someone like, say, Bernardo Faria.

Yeah. Lo passes almost exclusively on the oustide via redirection. Lepri, by comparison, passes with absolutely crushing pressure up the middle. It's not as obvious as with a guy like Faira, but I can tell you from personal experience that Lepri's passing posture is like having someone park a truck on your hips.

When Lepri's passes succeed his opponents are mostly pinned already, which leads directly into good positional control and high submission rates.

Last edited:
Yeah. Lo passes almost exclusively on the oustide via redirection. Lepri, by comparison, passes with absolutely crushing pressure up the middle. It's not as obvious as with a guy like Faira, but I can tell you from personal experience that Lepri's passing posture is like having someone park a truck on your hips.

When Lepri's passes succeed his opponents are mostly pinned already, which leads directly into good positional control and high submission rates.

For sure. When you watch Lo, a lot his subs come from the back because he takes the back after guys turtle off his pass, which they can do because he's much looser than someone like Lucas (or Faria, or Rafa). Rodolfo often had the same thing, it's a risk of torreando + looser knee slice passing style. Though I do think Rodolfo finished more often than Lo for whatever reason.

I would just think that, due to Lo's passing acumen, he would have so much experience working from that position that he'd have developed something that would result in a higher finishing rate. I don't know as much about Rodolfo's game, but I have Lepri's knee-on-belly DVD, and he's developed a complex system of finishes from side control that basically starts from a dead position after passing the guard and establishing the passing points (i.e. there's little direct flow from pass to sub, as with marcelo or kron gracie's game).

Rodolfo finished A LOT more than Lo, in no small part due to the fact that he could pass with both styles and from multiple positions.

On BJJHeroes they have like 25 and 60 something percent sub rates respectively.

Back