Lean

$uperman

Black Belt
Platinum Member
Reaction score
What are the best exercises and training styles to build a strong lean muscular body?

Cock pushups

What are the best exercises and training styles to build a strong lean muscular body?

Building lean mass has zero to do with exercises and training methods, it's 100% diet, your nutrition is everything. Whether you want to bulk or cut, the training stays the same but your diet changes.

You can build muscle from most of the training methods, I used to do push pull legs x2 with Sunday off, I now changed it to a 5 (sometimes 6) day split and am growing more since I have longer rest days between training the same muscle plus I get to go all out.

If you're already lean then figure out how many calories you're currently eating and add more food from there, start with 200 calories above maintenance and weigh yourself once a every week, every week.

What's your current training style, how long have you been lifting and are you currently lean or do you need to lose fat?

maxresdefault.jpg

Building lean mass has zero to do with exercises and training methods, it's 100% diet, your nutrition is everything. Whether you want to bulk or cut, the training stays the same but your diet changes.

You can build muscle from most of the training methods, I used to do push pull legs x2 with Sunday off, I now changed it to a 5 (sometimes 6) day split and am growing more since I have longer rest days between training the same muscle plus I get to go all out.

If you're already lean then figure out how many calories you're currently eating and add more food from there, start with 200 calories above maintenance and weigh yourself once a every week, every week.

What's your current training style, how long have you been lifting and are you currently lean or do you need to lose fat?

I have a background in Karate, Kickboxing, and Boxing.

Before the Corona crises I did HIIT at the gym. It is High Intensity Interval Training. So, in the gym we are in a group of around 10 people doing interval style circuit training. Exercises like push-ups, kettlebell swings, sandbag squats, sandbag lunges, Russian twist with weights, rowing machine, leg raises, dips, medicine ball slams, burpees, jumping rope etc. Every training different exercises.

I am around 4 kilo (8,8 pounds) too heavy.

Diet is numero uno.

Really? Then tell me what I need to eat if I want to do nothing and gain muscle mass.

inb4 Dbol

Yeah I'd go the opposite extreme and say that diet almost doesn't matter as long as you're getting enough calories, protein and macros and training hard. I had a six pack into my 30's doing lots of grappling, weight training and running, and I was eating Chinese takeout and ice cream and candy bars on the regular.

If you're training for a bodybuilding comp, yes you should be counting calories and all that. But if not, focus on training hard and eating when you're hungry and the leanness will take care of itself.

If you're training hard enough, you're burning a ton of calories and you need to feed the machine.

Really? Then tell me what I need to eat if I want to do nothing and gain muscle mass.

inb4 Dbol

Sorry but this is BS

Yes, nutrition is important but to say nutrition is 100% of the equation is ridiculous.

I can't stand when people say "abs are built in the kitchen"

You guys misunderstood me, we're talking about the "lean" part. You have to lift to build muscle, if you don't lift you won't grow, we know that but how much fat you gain is 100% diet related.

He specifically mentioned lean muscle not adding size without caring about fat gain.

You guys misunderstood me, we're talking about the "lean" part. You have to lift to build muscle, if you don't lift you won't grow, we know that but how much fat you gain is 100% diet related.

He specifically mentioned lean muscle not adding size without caring about fat gain.
Thought this was obvious. If you eat like shit/too many calories you wont get lean, no matter how much you train.

If you want to do body recomposition, you need to do three things.

1.) Eat in a moderate caloric deficit (10-15% of your daily maintenance, which implies that you must first know what your daily maintenance is)
2.) Eat a lot of protein (a lot, I try to get 35% of my calories from protein at least)
3.) Lift weights

It sounds like you'd be new to lifting weights, so if you do these three things correctly you should be able to build muscle and lose fat at the same time. It's pretty simple. However, these three things give you ample opportunity to fuck up. It's not enough to ''eyeball'' your food, or weigh yourself every now and again. You have to do it as consistently as possible. The more consistent you are, the more control you have over the process, and the better your results will be.

There are a lot of other things you can do to help this process along, but these three things are the most important. For example, you can do cardio to help burn more fat. You can try to manipulate your nutrient timing, or nutrient composition. But these are relatively minor things. But you should walk before you run. Figure out those first three things, and then start doing other things when you stop losing fat. You may not even need to in order to reach your goal. However, how you'd really like to look might be further away than you think. People are generally a lot fatter than they think they are. I lost 15kg of fat this year. That's a lot of fucking fat. I had no idea I carried that much fat on me.

I have a background in Karate, Kickboxing, and Boxing.

Before the Corona crises I did HIIT at the gym. It is High Intensity Interval Training. So, in the gym we are in a group of around 10 people doing interval style circuit training. Exercises like push-ups, kettlebell swings, sandbag squats, sandbag lunges, Russian twist with weights, rowing machine, leg raises, dips, medicine ball slams, burpees, jumping rope etc. Every training different exercises.

I am around 4 kilo (8,8 pounds) too heavy.
Just to clear one thing. That wasn't actually HIIT. That was circuit training with moderate intensity which is good. But make no mistake, nowadays people call that HIIT but HIIT is actually all out like "I'm going to fucking die, I can't believe I'm doing this, I'm about to have a heart attack" type of feeling... and the rest periods are like 5x times longer than the actual work.

I agree with all of the users that said diet is by far the most important thing. You can be ripped without even working out.

My advice is to adjust your diet in order to eat more and more low dense calorie foods. But make sure you like your diet because you are going to end up binge eating and that is pretty terrible.. you will end up with an eating disorder.

And don't drop weight too quickly doing some crazy deficit because you are going to lose muscle.

BTW... I'm trying to get to 10% bodyfat or below just for the sake of it so I did a lot research. I would recommend a guy like Greg Doucette on Youtube (best advices by far when it comes to diet).

BTW... I'm trying to get to 10% bodyfat or below just for the sake of it so I did a lot research. I would recommend a guy like Greg Doucette on Youtube (best advices by far when it comes to diet).

+1 for Greg Doucette. I followed his (among others') advice and I actually did manage to break the 10% barrier. If you can handle his roided out Gilbert Gottfried routine, there's a wealth of practical ''how-to'' information on his channel.

Back