Lean ground beef worth the price tag?

Jeff Roy

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I always buy lean ground beef, but ive heard that using the cheaper stuff is nearly the same thing nutritionally after its cooked. Is it true that the cheaper ground beefs fat with just be drained away and become nearly as healthy as the lean ground beef, or should I keep buying the expensive lean beef?

In one of my meat science classes that I took in college we discussed this exact topic. My professor pointed out a few things: 1) That the price mark up on lean beef is very drastic and the fat will cook off (that is why the patty shrinks) leaving you with almost the same beef to beef fat ratio as a cooked lean patty. 2) The fat actually leaves the great flavor that we all love in a good burger. 3) That beef fat has been correlated to increasing testosterone levels in males. I hope this helps and I look forward to seeing others perspective on this topic.

Ha Ha Ha nice double post. It was Texas Tech, not many people realize how large the industry really is.

In one of my meat science classes that I took in college we discussed this exact topic. My professor pointed out a few things: 1) That the price mark up on lean beef is very drastic and the fat will cook off (that is why the patty shrinks) leaving you with almost the same beef to beef fat ratio as a cooked lean patty. 2) The fat actually leaves the great flavor that we all love in a good burger. 3) That beef fat has been correlated to increasing testosterone levels in males. I hope this helps and I look forward to seeing others perspective on this topic.

My only beef with that theory is when you cook the beef differently. Like making meatloaf or meatballs or something where that fat, I guess, doesn't cook off.

How is it not complete?

ANd if you cook the beef, and rinse it off, it will drastically lower the fat on the beef.

I don't know, check it out. It's missing some tryptophan.

a lot of ground beef is not complete proteins believe it or not.

34b4e892144a448601b70d870017890b-1.gif

When I buy ground beef, I buy the organic grass-fed ground beef. There's usually only one fat grade of that kind, but the fat level is a low priority compared to getting grass-fed beef ... so if I"m going to spend a premium, it'll be on grass-fed.

The process of producing and packaging ground beef is kind of freaky. There's something unsettling about eating pieces of thousands of cows in one burger.

I've been seriously considering buying a meat grinder to make my own from whole portions.

i was gonna say...why would somebody say it wasnt a complete amino acid profile?

Back