Leading with uppercut...

my big toe

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Do any of you ever lead with an uppercut? I always thought it was a bad idea because it exposes your head, and has limited range. I've been seeing more fighters use this now, but haven't seen anyone really connect with it...what's your opinion?

It's a bad idea. If a guy is really bad, and his reaction to your punches is to automatically bend forward at the waist and duck them, then it could work.

A little better in MMA if you expect a shot..

That and uppercuts are generally used when you are closer to your opponent. That would mean you'd have to get inside to start off with it. I personally wouldn't start off with one, especially if we are at least an arms length away, I'd throw jabs and crosses.

Bad idea unless you are fast like roy Jones watch holyfield/Douglas to see results of guy who does it but is not fast

Yeah, that's what I thought. Chris Leben throws 'em, and looks kinda ackward. Then I saw Jason Von Flue throw one against Gurgel, and since he trains at the SLO gym, I thought maybe that's the new thing now. But, I don't think I've ever seen Chuck throw it.

Boomstick, I don't remember that fight, did Douglas get KO'd?

If your in close..fighting in a phone booth..no problem..any other time its gonna fuck up your timing and your gonna get countered

you need to be really clsoe for a decent uppercut, and chances are if you lead with one you;re not going to be realyl close. my advice would be to just try it and see where it gets you. its the best way to learn

moodymikey said:
you need to be really clsoe for a decent uppercut, and chances are if you lead with one you;re not going to be realyl close. my advice would be to just try it and see where it gets you. its the best way to learn

Naw, I ain't gonna try it. I already know what happens most of the time> drop hand to deliver punch and get hit with left hook...or end up punching air. I was just wondering if anyone has seen it or used it effectively.

there is a way of throwing a left uppercut/hook that you can lead with but it is a tough punch to master and very few guys can do it right. the only thing I have ever heard it calle dis a slasher. Roy jones used to do it fairly well and sometimes mayweather jr. does it but they are fast enough to do pretty much anything.

no

uppercuts are for close range. There are obvious examples, but only those w/ inhuman speed and reflexes can do it from afar, and even then, lacks any real power or sting to do anything more than what a simple jab does. Tyson was the master of the uppercut, he bent his knees, and lifted his opponent up when he was close up. Uppercuts should only be used when ur close to your opponent, either standing on him (like Castillo always does) or in a combination.

de la hoya was good with the lead uppercut....but he kind of did it at an angle. I think he called it his 45 (degree) if I'm not mistaken.

2om30 said:
de la hoya was good with the lead uppercut....but he kind of did it at an angle. I think he called it his 45 (degree) if I'm not mistaken.
that is a lsasher that I mentioned in a few posts up

Yeah like most of the guys said, bad idea. I've never really seen anyone lead with a uppercut though. (at my gym)

You can lead with anything, provided you have the natural talent and speed. Those who mentioned Jones and Mayweather have pointed that out and I'll point it out again: if you aren't as fast as those fellas, to the point where your opponent is conscientious of your speed and is more likely to "brace" than attempt a counterpunch, leading with an uppy or hook WILL earn you some pain.

The smart money is to develop a fluid, and fast transitioning jab-uppy or jab-hook double. I don't move anywhere as fast as I'd like, so you never catch me taking chances like that.

I would, because proper form, speed, and accuracy, as well as timing (meaning you don't just launch it at any old moment) would insure that there wouldn't be a whole lot of repercussions. Not a lot of people know how to effectively counter an uppercut in the first-place. It's an easy punch to catch people sleeping with.

open with an uppercut if he's really close to start your 1-2 or 1-2-3 combos. an uppercut opens him up which will give you either distance for bombs or aan opening for other punches.

if he's at distance then you're sticking with bread and butter straight-cross combos or jab work.

Back