Lead foot pointing toward centerline?

I believe the inside is overrated. I'll take it if my opponent gives it to me but my work goes in to getting an outside angle. I think the goal should always be my opponents back.

My tactics should all be connected in some way towards the back. That is what I heard when I read, never Jab with your foot on the inside.

You're limiting yourself if you only try to go one way, man. In the same way that you should take the center if your opponent gives it to you, you should take the back only if he gives it to you. The reason you need to be able to go both ways is that attacking one angle can force him to give you the other.

I believe the inside is overrated. I'll take it if my opponent gives it to me but my work goes in to getting an outside angle. I think the goal should always be my opponents back.

My tactics should all be connected in some way towards the back. That is what I heard when I read, never Jab with your foot on the inside. If someone hunts my inside I can also go to the other outside like Cruz;

[YT]?v=g32r2x6FW5s[/YT]

Again, Disc beat me to it, but trying to force an angle rarely if ever works.

Besides that, you're just stating beliefs without reasons to back them up. I gave reasons for why most people prefer attacking the inside and why it's often harder to attack the outside. You just said the inside is overrated...well why? And why is the outside better? I find that the inside is either to take, while the outside is much more difficult unless the opponent gives it to you. More work, less profit to go outside in my opinion.

Cruz is attacking the inside btw, then escaping to the outside. But that's just because of the demo, he's moving a lot and his opponent isn't moving at all. In reality he would move, attack the center, then move to threaten the center again as he escapes. He wouldn't actually threaten the outside at all, or even come very near it.

I will say, I like working to the outside because lots of orthodox fighters are uncomfortable pivoting to their right. You can relatively easily make them overcommit in an attempt to cut you off and then pivot to the inside and jab the hell out of them.

I will say, I like working to the outside because lots of orthodox fighters are uncomfortable pivoting to their right. You can relatively easily make them overcommit in an attempt to cut you off and then pivot to the inside and jab the hell out of them.

Agreed, but that's technically jabbing to the inside now isn't it? :icon_chee

My point is that I rarely find myself in a position where I'm actually having success attacking from an outside angle. I prefer threatening it to open up the inside.

Agreed, but that's technically jabbing to the inside now isn't it? :icon_chee

My point is that I rarely find myself in a position where I'm actually having success attacking from an outside angle. I prefer threatening it to open up the inside.

Right to the body, overhand upstairs, left hook down the center? There are some solid options from the outside angle. Pivot right, left hook is a reliable tactic.

Right to the body, overhand upstairs, left hook down the center? There are some solid options from the outside angle. Pivot right, left hook is a reliable tactic.

Oh absolutely, those are all good. Especially the pivot right, left hook. I just personally like it better if I can pivot inside because it's a more effective spot to attack with straight punches, which I'm much better at than hooks. The outside is more dangerous for people with strong hooks in my opinion.

Again, Disc beat me to it, but trying to force an angle rarely if ever works.

Besides that, you're just stating beliefs without reasons to back them up. I gave reasons for why most people prefer attacking the inside and why it's often harder to attack the outside. You just said the inside is overrated...well why? And why is the outside better? I find that the inside is either to take, while the outside is much more difficult unless the opponent gives it to you. More work, less profit to go outside in my opinion.

Cruz is attacking the inside btw, then escaping to the outside. But that's just because of the demo, he's moving a lot and his opponent isn't moving at all. In reality he would move, attack the center, then move to threaten the center again as he escapes. He wouldn't actually threaten the outside at all, or even come very near it.

You said it's harder and I agree it's harder. Two reasons I think the inside is overrated, my opponent sees me on the inside and he can attack me. If I'm behind him he can do neither. I would like to be in a situation were I can force him in to my punches. Behind him with my hip right next to his and forward pressure (OMG). Using the threat of a potential punch more then actually throwing a punch.

I strive for the opponents back because I know that if I get there my chance of ending the fight is very high. As my opponent defends my attempts at the back he might give an opportunity for me to end the fight elsewhere.

Connecting this to the thread start. I see the step to the outside then jab as a good tactic. I'm still excited about the, NEVER jab with the lead leg on the inside. OP are you still looking?

Last edited:
Just an FYI, none of the advantages you named for the outside angle are exclusive to the outside angle.

Back