Lead foot pointing toward centerline?

Discussion in 'Standup Technique' started by Fedor5723, Jun 2, 2014.

1. Fedor5723

Fedor5723 White Belt

I was taking notes from some old boxing books and pdfs. In Jack Dempsey or Floyd Patterson's book or probably in one of the my other books, they say NEVER jab with the lead leg on the inside.
    What is everybody's opinion?

2. a guy

a guy Black Belt

3. Fedor5723

Fedor5723 White Belt

4. Discipulus

Discipulus Black Belt

What reasoning does the book in question give for this advice?

Personally, anyone who says "always put your foot here/there" is grossly oversimplifying something as complicated and nuanced as positioning. A better generalization is just "always face your opponent," and even that isn't always practiceable.

5. Fedor5723

Fedor5723 White Belt

The information I stated in the op contradicts it a little...I just want some insight.

6. Fedor5723

Fedor5723 White Belt

I didn't give a reason...you have any guess?

7. Steve08

Steve08 American Fedor Belt

What do you mean by "jab with the lead leg on the inside"? You mean they say to jab without putting your own foot between that your opponent? Because that doesn't make any sense. It is a simple fact that you need to step into range between your opponent's feet to land jabs as a lead.

If you are referring to the actual bladedness of the lead foot, then I would say that stepping in to a bladed stance is good, because it presents less of a target for your opponent to counter in that your left side and shoulder are pretty much all he can hit without adjusting his position.

8. a guy

a guy Black Belt

Can you find the exact quote?

9. Perfect form

Perfect form Yellow Belt

Intuitively it sounds good. I'm excited about the thread. :)

10. Discipulus

Discipulus Black Belt

Actually it intuitively makes no sense. I'm also interested in the exact quote if you can fish it up, TS.

11. Nuclearlandmine

Nuclearlandmine Shreddin' Double Yellow Card

Explain please? Even intuitively it doesn't sound good to me.

12. DoctorTaco

DoctorTaco Breadhead

I've noticed turning the lead foot in is a great way to help fix guys who lean over their punches too far

13. Perfect form

Perfect form Yellow Belt

Using the jab to work towards the outside angle of my opponents lead hand. I see it as a step towards my opponents back. There is a clear goal to me. Jab with the foot on the inside seems like a sure way to be hit with a cross.

14. Discipulus

Discipulus Black Belt

That doesn't make sense.

15. a guy

a guy Black Belt

There is basically no time where you're gonna get your lead foot outside your opponent's lead foot if you're in the same stance. No matter what, you're jabbing with your lead foot inside their feet.

Besides that, if I'm circling inside and jabbing I'm hoping you'll throw a cross, especially if you don't adjust your feet. Makes the angle even more potent if I slip it. I'd say 90% of boxers jab while stepping inside for the majority of same stance fights, and the ones who know what's up can still step inside to jab against a southpaw.

16. Perfect form

Perfect form Yellow Belt

The position were I have my foot on the outside of my opponent and I'm facing him might be hard to get to but I want to fight there. I'll work towards it. I'll work towards the back. When I have the back I can punch my opponent and he cant punch me.

I step to the outside, jab and turn to face. To me that's what the jab is for. Stopping the opponent from moving. Using the jab as a post both as a threat and as a physical stop. I use it to control his upper body movement.

17. Discipulus

Discipulus Black Belt

It's good to take angles, but you just said it yourself: the jab is how you get to those angles. You need to jab from a neutral position in order to advance to a better one, or else the other guy will see and counter your every move.

18. a guy

a guy Black Belt

Working towards the outside is fine, just understand that it's a lot harder than moving towards the inside. Both because the opponent has an easier time stopping you and because it's naturally more difficult to move in that direction while staying in range.

Also, it's harder to hit someone from an outside angle than an inside one if we're talking same stance. They still have the lead shoulder and can pull over the rear hip to defend. There's a reason the overwhelming majority of boxers prefer to attack the inside.

Edit: This being in addition to what Dis said, you need to jab from the inside to get there anyway.

19. Perfect form

Perfect form Yellow Belt

Do you simplified saying Jab then step? I'm saying step then Jab. I move and my opponent goes to move with me to protect his side but instead faces my Jab. Make sense?

20. Perfect form

Perfect form Yellow Belt

I believe the inside is overrated. I'll take it if my opponent gives it to me but my work goes in to getting an outside angle. I think the goal should always be my opponents back.

My tactics should all be connected in some way towards the back. That is what I heard when I read, never Jab with your foot on the inside. If someone hunts my inside I can also go to the other outside like Cruz;

[YT]?v=g32r2x6FW5s[/YT]

Last edited: Jun 3, 2014