lazy isnt the right word but its the first word that comes to mind

mrsenor

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
its seems broner just coast for a counter knockout

There's some mental block with Broner. idk if maybe he's on drugs or has some other problems we aren't aware of but he hasn't been able to get it together since losing to Maidana and he's looked at least in my opinion progressively worse in his last 3 fights.

He doesnt move his waist well.
He always seems too sturdy, like he can't dip to each side.

He crumbles everytime he gets hurt...he switches off and takes a while to turn back on....and he doesn't do well vs. Volume punchers.

Seems to me like he's surrounded by yes men who cheer his every move and won't be real with him when he's down on the cards. They needed to be screaming for him to finish the fight in the last few rounds

Broner never learns. He tries to box but he's not smart enough/doesn't work enough to get it done against the top guys.

He also sells out with that counter hook but he has trouble landing it with much consistency, esp aainst a savvy southpaw like Pac who timed and could sneak in a much quicker, shorter shovel type hook inside AB's much wider hook. Broner needs to tighten up that hook, it's pretty brutal when it lands (e.g. Porter in the 12th rd) but he's just not successful w/ it enough. He puts too much emphasis on the counter hook and he doesn't really counter in combination, so he doesn't follow up with his right even if he has the opening to do so if he can't quite connect with the initial shot.

Legs are also too heavy, he gets backed into the ropes/corners too often and unlike a guy like Canelo, who also has a tendency to get backed up to the ropes but fights very deftly there, AB fights like shit when he's in that position.

Another issue is that he plays offense and defense, he can never seem to blend them together. He will sit it the pocket and throw that big counter hook of his, but that's about it. You throw multiple shots at him he just covers up and waits for you to finish.

Broner's offense is very effective when he throws, but he puts out such little volume that he needs to land at an insane Floyd type % of his punches and that's too difficult for him when he's throwing 10 fucking punches a rd.

It's frustrating b/c he really does have a lot of talent particularly when it comes to his inside game and his offense there. Going back to that shit fight iq of his, he fought a terrible fight strategically against Pac. What he should've done was walk Pac down and try to close the distance and force a rough, inside type of fight in close where Pac doesn't really have a whole lot to offer and doesn't want to be there. AB could've been very effective if he fought on the front foot, walked Pac down, and fought him in the trenches, I honestly believe that he could've won if he fought that style of fight. Not Would've won, but I definitely think he Could've won w/ that type of approach.

But of course, it's Broner, and Broner isn't exactly a Rhodes scholar, so he tries to outbox a guy who's extremely difficult to time and has way more experience against much more intelligent and talented fighters over the years.

Long story less long: I think he's more stupid than lazy. He's very talented, esp with his offensive arsenal, but he doesn't use said arsenal enough when it comes to output or strategy in general. Basically he locks up and can't make many adjustments, even when it's obv to the rest of the world that he needs to.

/rant

Last edited:

Interesting take from Paulie. Tl;dr Broner is only comfortable throwing at a certain range, but doesn't like to take any risks or get creative with setups in order to force that range on his opponent, thus the low punch output in many of his fights.

Broner just isnt very good and is a pos.

Back