lay and pray wrestling in Woman's MMA?

manboy<3

Pathetic hater,MEGA shill
Banned
Reaction score
Does this happen often? I hear people say things like "Asian female fighter X would by wrestlefucked by UFC female fighter Y" but I have never really seen much wrestlefucking going on in Woman';s MMA

Most of the time its either a sloppy kickboxing match or sloppy kickboxing with occasional sloppy grappling besides any time one girl has much better wrestling than another girl a submission or TKO usually follows.

Is this just my perception or does WMMA lack the wrestlefucking that normally goes on in the Men's division?

and why do you think that is?

" I hear people say things like "Asian female fighter X would by wrestlefucked by UFC female fighter Y""

I can't say I have heard that (not for females, hear it all the time for males) but that's funny considering Japan has far and away the best female wrestling program (and have for decades) and I assume are pretty high up there in judo. Many of the top Japanese female fighters had backgrounds in either wrestling, sambo, or judo. South Korea also has a number of fighters from judo and sambo backgrounds.

" I hear people say things like "Asian female fighter X would by wrestlefucked by UFC female fighter Y""

I can't say I have heard that (not for females, hear it all the time for males) but that's funny considering Japan has far and away the best female wrestling program (and have for decades) and I assume are pretty high up there in judo. Many of the top Japanese female fighters had backgrounds in either wrestling, sambo, or judo. South Korea also has a number of fighters from judo and sambo backgrounds.

Oh I guess I shouldn't have used "asian girl fighters" as an example I guess everyone commenting on how the asian men get wrestlefucked in the UFC warped my perception of things a little bit.

None the less I've never seen any Japanese or South Korean girl show us a wrestling clinic on another high level opponent

in fact I've never seen a wrestling/chain grappling clinic in high level women's MMA at all

(I've seen a few in some bizzare/lower level WMMA fights in Japan but they don't count)

I don't think you see 'lay & pray' in WMMA because there aren't a lot of women who have the wrestling chops to pull it off. But the few who do have the wrestling skills to make it work (Sara McMann, Randi Miller, etc.) have certainly employed the strategy.

I don't think you see 'lay & pray' in WMMA because there aren't a lot of women who have the wrestling chops to pull it off. But the few who do have the wrestling skills to make it work (Sara McMann, Randi Miller, etc.) have certainly employed the strategy.

is Sara Mchannon anywhere near dominant enough with her wrestling? is she showing olympic level wrestling skills? To me shes not anywhere near being as good a blanket like Khabib or Sherk were and both had significanlty worse grappling credientials

Also Randi miller and Kanako Murata are the other two really high level WMMA wrestlers but they both have 1 fight against handpicked opponents so i can't consider them good examples at all

To me there are no real "Blankets" in Woman's MMA while men's MMA has lots of good examples going back to even early times

I find all this to be quite wierd because the striking in women's MMA
poses almost none of the damage/danger that is present in Men's MMA so you would expect that wrestling would be the absolute dominant style since the chance of being KO'd while coming in on takedowns would be extremely low instead it seems that stand up fighters are the dominant style

Don;'t you find that weird?

is Sara Mchannon anywhere near dominant enough with her wrestling? is she showing olympic level wrestling skills? To me shes not anywhere near being as good a blanket like Khabib or Sherk were and both had significanlty worse grappling credientials

Also Randi miller and Kanako Murata are the other two really high level WMMA wrestlers but they both have 1 fight against handpicked opponents so i can't consider them good examples at all

To me there are no real "Blankets" in Woman's MMA while men's MMA has lots of good examples going back to even early times

I find all this to be quite wierd because the striking in women's MMA
poses almost none of the damage/danger that is present in Men's MMA so you would expect that wrestling would be the absolute dominant style since the chance of being KO'd while coming in on takedowns would be extremely low instead it seems that stand up fighters are the dominant style

Don;'t you find that weird?

I disagree with your premise that there are lots of lay and prayers in men's MMA. The two examples you gave (Khabib and Sherk) don't even come close to my definition of lay & pray. Sherk was one of the best guard passers in MMA history. That guy NEVER laid in guard and waited for the round to end. If anything, he was too hyperactive on the ground and would have benefited from working more on his ground & pound and less on his passing. Khabib also doesn't lay in guard and ride out rounds. He prefers to throw guys, smash 'em for a little while, let 'em up, and then throw them again. He's not breaking takedown records by holding guys on the ground.

IMO, lay & pray is not really a 'style' that anyone employs. It's a phase in a developing fighter's career. Guys who come into the sport with great wrestling and not much else usually spend the early portion of their career laying & praying, but most of them develop other skills and evolve. Josh Koscheck is the best example. He was a HUGE lay & pray artist early in his career, but he turned into a rock 'em, sock 'em robots type of fighter once he learned how to box.

Regarding women and the lack of lay & pray, I don't think it is strange at all. The vast majority of female fighters come from two backgrounds ... Striking arts or submission grappling. There aren't a whole lot of wrestlers in WMMA. It's a fringe pursuit for female combat athletes, which stands in sharp contrast to men's MMA, where it is probably the most common background.

Back