Lawsuit details show UFC screwing Mousasi, PPV points, unique Holly contract and more

OzoneX

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
Roy Nelson’s last contract paid a different amount for his show compensation from his win compensation, with only his bout show compensation rising with each win. (50/50, 75/50, 100/50, 125/50, 150/50, 175/50, 200/50). He apparently ended the contract at $100,000 to show and $50,000 to win. Nelson was to also receive a separate LOA payment after each bout.

Gegard Mousasi’s contract was the inverse of Nelson’s, with his to show compensation remaining the same, but his win compensation rising with each victory. (75/20, 75/25, 75/30, 75/35, 75/40, 75/45, 75/50, 75/55).

---------
Gilbert Melendez and Alistair Overeem’s also received PPV points when challenging or defending a UFC belt, while Urijah Faber received PPV payments as a defending champion or if he was challenging TJ Dillashaw or Dominick Cruz for the Bantamweight belt. CM Punk was to receive PPV payments for first bout (which ended up being at UFC 203).

-----------

Holly Holm apparently had a unique clause in her contract regarding incidental compensation, that also had a rather specific stipulation regarding any fight with Ronda Rousey: “For every non-championship bout, Holly Holm received 2 rooms, 2 economy class flights, $50 per diem for 2 people, 6 tickets to each Bout (within 10 rows of the Octagon if main event), two Bout tickets for her manager within the first 4 rows, two credentials, and the opportunity to pre-sale order 100 tickets to every bout (1,000 tickets if opponent is Rousey).”

https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2020/2/...ucture-fighter-pay-class-action-business-news

Some have better managers than others, not sure why this is thread worthy, it happens on regular jobs too.

Roy Nelson’s last contract paid a different amount for his show compensation from his win compensation, with only his bout show compensation rising with each win. (50/50, 75/50, 100/50, 125/50, 150/50, 175/50, 200/50). He apparently ended the contract at $100,000 to show and $50,000 to win. Nelson was to also receive a separate LOA payment after each bout.

Gegard Mousasi’s contract was the inverse of Nelson’s, with his to show compensation remaining the same, but his win compensation rising with each victory. (75/20, 75/25, 75/30, 75/35, 75/40, 75/45, 75/50, 75/55).

---------
Gilbert Melendez and Alistair Overeem’s also received PPV points when challenging or defending a UFC belt, while Urijah Faber received PPV payments as a defending champion or if he was challenging TJ Dillashaw or Dominick Cruz for the Bantamweight belt. CM Punk was to receive PPV payments for first bout (which ended up being at UFC 203).

-----------

Holly Holm apparently had a unique clause in her contract regarding incidental compensation, that also had a rather specific stipulation regarding any fight with Ronda Rousey: “For every non-championship bout, Holly Holm received 2 rooms, 2 economy class flights, $50 per diem for 2 people, 6 tickets to each Bout (within 10 rows of the Octagon if main event), two Bout tickets for her manager within the first 4 rows, two credentials, and the opportunity to pre-sale order 100 tickets to every bout (1,000 tickets if opponent is Rousey).”

https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2020/2/...ucture-fighter-pay-class-action-business-news
Super interesting article. I wish their stats guy had given medians instead of means though. Averages really dont tell much of a story.

Also, how is Mousasi getting screwed? Hes the one who agreed to that pay structure....

“2 gracious economy class tickets”

Whoa 2 economy class tickets????

WOW - A bench warmer in the NBA makes way more money then Holly Holm who was a champion.
$50 per diem... wow

The fighter didn't get screwed if they had management, weren't in a coma, weren't on pgychadelic drugs when signing the contract and willingly signed the contract without a gun to their head.

They literally signed that they agreed to everything.

Now they are fighting that they don't agree lol.

sounds silly.

Wtf is up with Holly's contract hahaha 1000 tickets

Yeah but how much discounted authentic Reebok fight gear did they get?

Some have better managers than others, not sure why this is thread worthy, it happens on regular jobs too.
Not really on regular jobs. Especially, not the ones with unions. These type deals happen more often in jobs that are popularity dependent.

For example, 2 firemen with similar experience, and working at the same fire station are not going to get drastically different working contracts.

But, I could be wrong, depending on what you mean by "regular jobs."

If Roy Nelson makes more money than Mousasi, blame the manager, not the UFC.

Not really on regular jobs. Especially, not the ones with unions. These type deals happen more often in jobs that are popularity dependent.

For example, 2 firemen with similar experience, and working at the same fire station are not going to get drastically different working contracts.

But, I could be wrong, depending on what you mean by "regular jobs."
If there is a union that basically tells how much you could/should make then that doesnt sound like a "regular job", in every professional field there is some sort of offer/demand with professionals looking for a job and companies that offer those jobs, you could find two guys that are qualified for it but that doesnt mean both will take whatever the company is offering at first, even from the very first contact there are some negotiations, they simply ask how much do you want to make, not everyone replies the same, of course a lot of other regular jobs post the offering with a fixed salary and there is no negotiation, but that was my point that it happens in regular jobs too.

Fcking UFC paid nothing to Mousasi and someone can complain on his move to Bellator? Fuck your competition and UFC title, i am glad Gegard now got good contract and i don't care shittalk about "B league" when "A league" is paying ridicoulous this much of money to one of the most decorated fighters in MMA.

Holly Holm is one weird chick.

Fcking UFC paid nothing to Mousasi and someone can complain on his move to Bellator? Fuck your competition and UFC title, i am glad Gegard now got good contract and i don't care shittalk about "B league" when "A league" is paying ridicoulous this much of money to one of the most decorated fighters in MMA.
Hopefully he IS actually making more. Nelson too.

The fighter didn't get screwed if they had management, weren't in a coma, weren't on pgychadelic drugs when signing the contract and willingly signed the contract without a gun to their head.

They literally signed that they agreed to everything.

Now they are fighting that they don't agree lol.

sounds silly.
The issue is the UFC can unfairly dictate the terms because they are essentially mma. Get screwed in the UFC while technically being worth more or go to. Bellator and make 5k/5k

WOW - A bench warmer in the NBA makes way more money then Holly Holm who was a champion.
$50 per diem... wow

Pretty sure I was on something around $50 per diem while working for RH. Looks like I'd hit the big time, and i never even knew it.

Back